Page 1 of 2
hey UG,
Just looking for any personal experience with this brand, as i have heard nothing but good reviews and seen great prices! im considering buying one but would like a few more opinions. My top choices right now are the 1960, 1990, 6260, and the 6262.
Playing style: thrash, post hardcore, punk, little bit of blues
Nearest City: Vancouver, but i am able to order online easily
Guitars: Down in sig
Where i will be playing: Recording, smallish venues, garage, etc.
Cabinet: I would be planning on a Bugera 212 cab.
thanks guys!
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
Bugera - Providing fire department training for the new millenium.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 8, 2012,
Sound good, and they're cheap. However what you gain in tone-per-dollar you lose in Quality Control and solid workmanship. Their reliability is somewhat dubious, but they've gotten a lot better recently. The newer Infinium models are supposedly pretty well built.

6260 gets my vote for your style, though the 1990 would do the punk better.
haha, whats with the fire references? i heard the reliabilty sucked but that its improved a lot lately.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
haha, whats with the fire references? i heard the reliabilty sucked but that its improved a lot lately.

They may have fixed that particular fault but if your quality control and R&D misses the amp actually bursting into flames what else have they missed? And what is in store for the future?
Quite simply, they'll never live it down and why should they? What other amps in history actually burnt people's houses down? If Frank Zappa had been using a Bugera, Deep Purple wouldn't have sung "some stupid with a flare gun...." it would have been, "Frank Zappa had a Bugera, and burnt the place to the ground."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ive had a 6260 for a year and a half now, not even an infinium model and the only thing thats gone wrong is the power light doesnt work
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
i have a bugera 6262 head and 212cab... they dont sound bad, and i've had mine for about one and a half year, but never any real issues with it. i accidentally kicked off a knob a while ago, and now i've been waiting on a new one for almost a month, their customer service is really quite awfull.

also, when i had a tech-guy check the thing for faults and things that needed to fixed, he noticed there was less power going to the tubes than is actually needed, it'll make your tubes last longer, but they'll never sound as good as they can, basically. (not sure, just what i was told, correct me if im wrong)

anyways... i wouldnt recommend you to buy a bugera, save up a bit more or find an alternative.

edit: also, its a bit loud for "smallish venues" i dont remember ever having it past 3, live. in recording i've had it cranked :P it does sound pretty nice when its so loud, but it'll ruin your ears when you're in the same room :p
Last edited by Ih5g at Jan 8, 2012,
I have a 333 and it sounds very nice. No problems with it in 2 yrs. I have a wife and 3 kids, so I'm on a pretty tight budget. If you like the Bugera 6260 amps, I sugest looking at the Jet City JCA 50h/100h models also. They are of a higher quality than the Bugeras.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
T00DeepBlue knows something about Bugera amps... specifically what happens when you turn it on after you forgot to plug the cab in.
Don't buy a 1960 unless you want to install a PPIMV on it or boost the shit out of it all the time.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I had one a while ago. 6260. Sounded nice, a little too much bass, it was always hard to dial in just the right amount without too much flub. Mine never had anything serious go wrong with it, some wire came loose on the inside and I had to cut the clip off and solder it straight to the board b/c it burnt up the contacts when it came loose, but I had just shaken the amp all around after dropping something in one of the sockets where the plastic extension of a power tube goes, so that's partially my fault. It sounded good, but it was very poorly put together, and I was scared to ever move it for fear of breaking something. Id pass them up as a gigging amp, too many opportunities for them to get busted up.
Bugera's sound just as good as the peavey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ghM952BB8

However they have a lot, and I mean a lot of reliability issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUtynkhSJ58&feature=related

Some of these issues are like lights breaking, simple circuits breaking causing the amp not to work at all, a loud high pitched buzzing, and in their earlier models their amps literally started on fire. There are some people who have no issues at all, but that doesn't cut it for me. I mean the chance of running into issues might be lower, but it's still high enough to be extremely unreliable.

If you are planing on playing any gigs I would NOT buy the bugera if it is your only amp. Theres just too much risk, it's almost random. Like theres a chance your bugera will work flawlessly forever, or that it will break down within the first week (this literally happens to people). It's just too random.

If you end up buying the bugera, I suggest you take it to a guitar tech as soon as you get it to make sure it's ok.
they have had thier share of quality control issues. however give what i needed, for what, and my budget at the time, i picke up a v22 and it has been rocking my house, garages, and a few pub gigs across multiple states etc for 3 years. not one glitch.

pretty solid amp. its not hard to tell the stock parts are not the greatest, however, with good playing and a good rig, they sound great for the money.

i have a firm belief that a guy who can expertly setup a bad rig will sound better than a guy who doesnt know how to use an expert rig.

i have thought of changing the stock tubes and speaker. but for what you pay, they are solid in my experience.

...for the record i do not play out often. when i do, i am confident in my amp. if i giged regularly for paid shows, i would NOT own a bugera. thats not why i bought one.

rant:

its all about learn basics of the equipment. i know a ton of players who buy a good amp, say a marshall or fender reissue and plug striaght into it and this is a beast. yeah sure. but thats it.

then they ask, well how are you getting these tones? well,perhaps i actually use my effects loops for effects that should be in there (like an analog delay with a dirty channel). perhaps i know how to set the amp to drive the powr section harder and get natrual grit instead of using a 30 dollar boss ds-1. perhaps i have actually experiemented with effects that you "deemed uneeded" and when used properly they bring out a great tone. perhaps i know what i need to buy to REALLY give me tone, like a new speaker instead of an ibanez tone lock phaser.

...so just buying good stuff does not mean you know how to use it.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
If Frank Zappa had been using a Bugera, Deep Purple wouldn't have sung "some stupid with a flare gun...." it would have been, "Frank Zappa had a Bugera, and burnt the place to the ground."

TS I would eliminate the 1960 from the list and research the 333 if you're set on Bugera. If you like the 1990 though you might like the Peavey Windsor, still cheap but better QC. Also the Bugera Cab's aren't that great. At all. What exactly is your budget?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Bugera's sound just as good as the peavey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ghM952BB8

I don't understand your comment or most of the youtube comments. The Peavey has noticeably more clarity and balls. The Bugera sounds bland in comparison.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Ive had a 6260 for a year and a half now, not even an infinium model and the only thing thats gone wrong is the power light doesnt work
I've had a Peavey XXX for almost maybe 10 years. I've played it at hundreds of shows. I literally throw it in the back of my truck. I've ripped the the speaker cable out when it's playing repeatedly. Run it on AC power that reboots all the digital devices every 30 seconds. Knocked it off the back of the stage . Poured drinks all over it and almost everything else you're not supposed to do to a guitar amp.. and everything works perfectly. Why the fvck would anyone buy a Bugera?
because perhaps you only want a cheap practice tube amp when you dont have a lot of cash on hand, and your not going to be gigging and you cant afford a peavey at 3x the price retail.

(well, not XXXs can be had used cheap. most peavey can be had used for cheap. doesnt matter. used / retail, apples / oranges.
i really like my 333xl, only problem ive had with it in the last 2 years is the stand by light whent out. sounds great by its self but when you through a EQ in the loop it REALLY comes alive then.
Agile AL-3110 Tiger Eye
Schecter C-1 Exotic Star Snow Leopard
Schecter C-1 Classic Blue
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser T-O-M BC
LTD EC-1000 Bright Blue Flame
Bugera 333xl
Laney GH-100L
Laney LC30-II 112
Laney GS212PE w/ V30s
Genz Benz G-Flex 412
Quote by Offworld92
I don't understand your comment or most of the youtube comments. The Peavey has noticeably more clarity and balls. The Bugera sounds bland in comparison.

Bugera ain't got no mids.

And they're both EQ'd a 12 o clock.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by BobDetroit
I've had a Peavey XXX for almost maybe 10 years. I've played it at hundreds of shows. I literally throw it in the back of my truck. I've ripped the the speaker cable out when it's playing repeatedly. Run it on AC power that reboots all the digital devices every 30 seconds. Knocked it off the back of the stage . Poured drinks all over it and almost everything else you're not supposed to do to a guitar amp.. and everything works perfectly. Why the fvck would anyone buy a Bugera?

Nailed it. This is what I've always said. They may sound close, some might say indistinguishable. But after ten years, which one will still be making sound? That is what you're paying for. Same concept with a guitar, Gibson vs Epiphone, ESP vs LTD. You're paying for the things you can't quantify or put down on paper. You're paying for the craftsmanship.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i am starting to understand the whole "long term affect" thing. But, do these really just break on their own?
would i be better off to just buy a better cab, and new tubes for my existing amp? and perhaps an EQ or something?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Offworld92

LOL!
Do you seriously think you would be able to tell the difference if they weren't side by side at all? Even when they are side by side the difference is hardly noticeable and marginal at best, you're making it sound like they're completely different.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
LOL!
Do you seriously think you would be able to tell the difference if they weren't side by side at all? Even when they are side by side the difference is hardly noticeable and marginal at best, you're making it sound like they're completely different.

I think this pepsi challenge bs you're touting doesn't stand any ground here. I mean don't get me wrong I'm all for cheap quality gear but he's right. He's not saying they're completely either. Honestly the price of a new Bugera compared to a used XXX doesn't justify buying the Bugera in this instance.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
I think this pepsi challenge bs you're touting doesn't stand any ground here. I mean don't get me wrong I'm all for cheap quality gear but he's right. He's not saying they're completely either. Honestly the price of a new Bugera compared to a used XXX doesn't justify buying the Bugera in this instance.

Bullshit, it's hardly noticeable at all in a side by side comparison (except for like one part in the video where it's a bit more noticeable), at least not in that video and I think the guy has everything set to 12 o'clock on both amps. I mean when you have them right next to each other and are looking for a difference, then yeah you can most likely tell.

Otherwise, no they're basically the same thing and you'd be fooling yourself to say otherwise. The reason I'd never buy a bugera in my lifetime though is because the bugera has a 10,00,000,000x more likely chance to have some sort of problem which can be either small (lights breaking) or huge (turning your room into a fireplace). Which is why I myself am getting a 3120 or Rectifier.

I think they literally copied the schematic for the peavey exactly, which is why they sound so similar. The amps are like a inch short of being identical tone-wise.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jan 8, 2012,
Copying the schematic is one thing but it has to be put together well with quality components as well. Not much use if it sounds right until it burns down your house.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Bullshit, it's hardly noticeable at all in a side by side comparison (except for like one part in the video where it's a bit more noticeable), at least not in that video and I think the guy has everything set to 12 o'clock on both amps. I mean when you have them right next to each other and are looking for a difference, then yeah you can most likely tell.

Otherwise, no they're basically the same thing and you'd be fooling yourself to say otherwise. The reason I'd never buy a bugera in my lifetime though is because the bugera has a 10,00,000,000x more likely chance to have some sort of problem which can be either small (lights breaking) or huge (turning your room into a fireplace). Which is why I myself am getting a 3120 or Rectifier.

I think they literally copied the schematic for the peavey exactly, which is why they sound so similar. The amps are like a inch short of being identical tone-wise.

Okay...the 3120 is a XXX.

So lets think about this. If you can get a used XXX for the same price if not less then a new Bugera 333 then why risk it? I don't understand your logic. They are not the same tonally and I'm sure that would not matter to the person in the crowd it would matter to me as a player.
Quote by barden1069
Quote by Cathbard
What other amps in history actually burnt people's houses down?

I don't know about burning down a house but AC30's are pretty notorious for bursting into flames.
Quote by spitonastranger
I don't know about burning down a house but AC30's are pretty notorious for bursting into flames.

True. It took years before people trusted Vox again. Bugera have yet to put in the time to restore confidence. Maybe one day they will get there.
One more major screw up and the company is shot. Maybe in another 10 years I'd consider them but it's too soon yet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Okay...the 3120 is a XXX.

So lets think about this. If you can get a used XXX for the same price if not less then a new Bugera 333 then why risk it? I don't understand your logic. They are not the same tonally and I'm sure that would not matter to the person in the crowd it would matter to me as a player.

Because I'm pretty sure I'd get some serious crap for having a amp that has 50 biker chicks on the front, with knobs set to "Edge, body, bottom". Plus you can get a used peavey 3120 without the laughably hideousness of the xxx with it's improvements to for like 50 bucks more than a used xxx, which to me is worth it.

I mean sure looks don't matter, but theres a point where you draw the line which is around the point to where it will effect how serious people will take you.

Quote by Cathbard
Copying the schematic is one thing but it has to be put together well with quality components as well. Not much use if it sounds right until it burns down your house.

Plus you roll a dice on whether or not it'll crap out on you.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Because I'm pretty sure I'd get some serious crap for having a amp that has 50 biker chicks on the front, with knobs set to "Edge, body, bottom". Plus you can get a used peavey 3120 without the laughably hideousness of the xxx with it's improvements to for like 50 bucks more than a used xxx, which to me is worth it.

I mean sure looks don't matter, but theres a point where you draw the line which is around the point to where it will effect how serious people will take you.

Plus you roll a dice on whether or not it'll crap out on you.

there are no improvements. There were XXX with black grills.
Quote by barden1069
they'll take you seriously when you melt their faces with sex tone and godly (or satanly) songwriting \m/
anyways, can anyone answer my question from above? am i better off to just change the tubes in my head and get a better cab? btw, can el84's be swapped for anything other than an el84?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Not really, EL84's are pretty unique. Eurotubes have a thing called an EL844 which is a JJ EL84 that breaks up much earlier.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dr.Tong
they'll take you seriously when you melt their faces with sex tone and godly (or satanly) songwriting \m/

I know that playing mostly matters, but getting a rough start on your impression with new musicians/audience is something that might be the best to avoid.

Quote by RealGuitarHero
there are no improvements. There were XXX with black grills.

I heard they improved noise cancellation or something, but anyways I don't want to regret getting a fugly as **** amp each I show it to anyone.
Quote by Dr.Tong
anyways, can anyone answer my question from above? am i better off to just change the tubes in my head and get a better cab? btw, can el84's be swapped for anything other than an el84?

This could probably help though like already stated in short you can't switch the tubes for any other type.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I heard they improved noise cancellation or something, but anyways I don't want to regret getting a fugly as **** amp each I show it to anyone.

Seems like you want to distract from your probably crappy playing. If what an amp looks like matters that much to you-your priorities aren't straight. That and the 3120 isn't exactly a looker either.
Quote by barden1069
Tubes for your JC?

They can help but it will not change your pre-amp voice. You'll notice a difference but it may not be in the direction you are after.

(Never hurts to have a spare set anyway so why not try first)
Quote by RealGuitarHero

Seems like you want to distract from your probably crappy playing. If what an amp looks like matters that much to you-your priorities aren't straight. That and the 3120 isn't exactly a looker either.

Seems like your just acting like a gigantic douchebag. I'm pretty damn sure a obnoxious looking head would be more distracting than a typical amp head. And so what if I'm willing to shell out a extra 50 bucks to avoid nonstop bullshit (in multiple forms). It's not like I'm sacrificing anything for it.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jan 9, 2012,
^ no offense but the Peavey Basic 60 is not exactly an attractive amp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEAVEY-BASIC-60-SOLID-STATE-AMP-CHEAP-/300647192957?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fff8197d#ht_1346wt_108

And personally, I don't think the new 3120 is all that attractive either. I'd rather have the biker chicks.

TS - you've heard both sides of the story. Just go play some amps.

There should be quite a few amps you can look at.
So it's coming down to an argument about looks? Are you guys serious? They all look like normal amps to me. Nothing so outrageous that their appearance should be a factor in any way.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification