So I bought this amp about 2 months ago. Today I read on the internet that modelling amps are bad. Is this true? But I'm satisfied with it, so what makes it bad? Should I sell it and get another amp? But as I said, I'm pretty satisfied with it...
Modeling amps aren't bad at all, especially the peavey Vypyr 30. The guy who said modeling amps are bad is DEFINATELY just and ultimate gear snob and a noobish one at that. Obviously, if you compare them to $700 tube amps, the tube amp will sound better but modeling amps are some of the best amps for the price.
don't waste your time with modeling amps, if you want to get a certain tone....then buy the right stuff, if it means waiting awhile for money to work out then so be it. eventually you will start to not like the modeling amp, especially if you try to record with them. find your tone, find the amp that best fits that tone, and you'll feel so great about yourself as a player....just don't fool yourself and have people tell you that it's a good idea to rely on modeling amps.
The only thing that matters is if you like it or not.
Quote by gerraguitar
don't waste your time with modeling amps, if you want to get a certain tone....then buy the right stuff, if it means waiting awhile for money to work out then so be it. eventually you will start to not like the modeling amp, especially if you try to record with them. find your tone, find the amp that best fits that tone, and you'll feel so great about yourself as a player....just don't fool yourself and have people tell you that it's a good idea to rely on modeling amps.

Have you actually tried any of the modern modeling amps at all? I was amazed at how the vypyr 30 sounded. I'm actually thinking about downsizing my entire rig to the vypyr 60 tube.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Have you actually tried any of the modern modeling amps at all? I was amazed at how the vypyr 30 sounded. I'm actually thinking about downsizing my entire rig to the vypyr 60 tube.

yeah i have, theyre not that great. why would you prefer something thats a copy of the tone you want. money isn't the issue here, like i stated already if you need to save more than do so. cause when it comes time that you want to upgrade your amp you'll probably get the one that produces the tone you want. why cheap yourself as a player, if you love to play then don't cheat yourself out of owning real equipment. i mean you can call me a jerk all you want and if you love modelling amps then thats fine, but they just don't cut it.
Quote by gerraguitar

Are you retarded? How will he find what he likes if he cant afford to buy or try out other amps?

No modeling amps do not sound exactly what they are modeling, but for the beginner/novice they are a great invaliable resource. Hell even in the early 90's when I was starting out I would have killed for the modeling amps that guys like you trash on all the time.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by gerraguitar
yeah i have, theyre not that great. why would you prefer something thats a copy of the tone you want. money isn't the issue here, like i stated already if you need to save more than do so. cause when it comes time that you want to upgrade your amp you'll probably get the one that produces the tone you want. why cheap yourself as a player, if you love to play then don't cheat yourself out of owning real equipment. i mean you can call me a jerk all you want and if you love modelling amps then thats fine, but they just don't cut it.

Dude, Some people. Can't afford to buy all of the the get that modeling amps model in their lifetime and modeling amps give great versatility and decent tone for a more than decent price. Some people just can't afford every pedal and every amp in the world and anyway, getting a modeling amp in the meantime won't set them back very far.
But I do agree that you shouldn't totally rely on one in the long run or convince yourself that they're like the real thing.
Quote by gerraguitar

Look at the gear in my sig, I'm putting a lot of serious thought into downgrading TO a modeler. It all comes down to finding the best gear that fits your individual needs. Not everyone can afford or need full valve amps and individual pedals.

Modelers don't all suck. And they are getting better with every iteration.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
my vypyr 15 sounds like utter shit to me. kinda ruined modeling amps for me. but I did enjo the roland cube 15xl.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
my vypyr 15 sounds like utter shit to me. kinda ruined modeling amps for me. but I did enjo the roland cube 15xl.

well the 15 watt modelers are pretty crap, no matter the maker. The little 8" speakers can not handle any low-end. at lest get one with a 12" speaker
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They are good low volume practice amps, if you play live or rehearse with a drummer especially if the other guitarist has a tube amp you may get lost in the mix (unless you have the tube poweramp model i guess) but for a beginner the vypyrs are one of the better modellers because they don't sound totally horrible ... They are better then line 6 spiders etc..
Its one of the better low end modellers on the market for heavier stuff so i'd keep it if you're happy with it... Also you likely won't get a solid state amp in the price range that can beat its tone anyway and the lower end tube amps generally arent built for metal anyway.. (i'm talking the really basic low budget stuff here)
Quote by Robbgnarly
well the 15 watt modelers are pretty crap, no matter the maker. The little 8" speakers can not handle any low-end. at lest get one with a 12" speaker

ive began to realize. i have a bass amp laying around here, im tempted to just use that until I get my new amp and sell the vypyr. LOL.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A