hi all,

following a visit to guitarguitar yesterday I'm not sure where to go to satisfy my needs..
i live in a shared house and the walls are actually paper-mache..

i currently have a laney vc30 at the moment, and it's never been dialled past 1.5?

yes, the laney suits my needs for live situations however i won't be playing live for a while as im pretty busy!

so im after a valve amp which is about 5 watts? or can be stepped down to about 5 watts?

mainly play clean/light distortion type of sounds, think math rock/indie types?

i like the clean tones from my laney already, so kind of vox'y ? or jangly/chimey? whatever words you want to describe it..

what do you guys suggest? used >> new.
There are lots of them out there...

I personally like the Fender Champ... Pretty basic... sounds "Fender" Great... the drawbacks are a 10" speaker, and no Reverb.... still for practice it's a great amp... so great, Mine was stolen... LOL
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Which GuitarGuitar? Cos if your near Newcastle, I have exactly the thing your looking for....
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Get a look at a Blackstar HT-5, or maybe even the HT-1 for your needs.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
If you like the Vox sound then I'd recommend the Vox AC4TV. It's an awesome little amp is a box but only drawback is that there's no preamp gain so it uses the power amp, basically as the volume goes up so does the gain.
The fender champ is a hybrid and I wouldn't recommend it for a British sound.
The Vox Nighttrain is 15w but can be turned to 7.5w and is very versatile. The problem with that is that the cab that comes with it has a shit speaker so if you could uses your laney as a cab that would be ideal.
I recently tried out the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister at a local guitar store, and I have to say that I was deeply impressed. HUGE array of tones available there - I played it with an ESP Vintage Plus, and was able to get an awesome clean tone, and especially the lightly overdriven / distorted sounds were suberb. With the gain tapped, it even sounded great for some metal riffing, even with singlecoils. It was also very convincing at low volumes, but could easily bust out jamming volumes, too. The only drawback in my opinion is that it's not exactly cheap...
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by WarriorArtist94
Get a look at a Blackstar HT-5, or maybe even the HT-1 for your needs.

It's not all valve.
Quote by itamar100
If you like the Vox sound then I'd recommend the Vox AC4TV. It's an awesome little amp is a box but only drawback is that there's no preamp gain so it uses the power amp, basically as the volume goes up so does the gain.
The fender champ is a hybrid and I wouldn't recommend it for a British sound.
The Vox Nighttrain is 15w but can be turned to 7.5w and is very versatile. The problem with that is that the cab that comes with it has a shit speaker so if you could uses your laney as a cab that would be ideal.

What?

I don't see any solid state circuitry there.

Get the AC4. You can dial it down to 0.25w if you want to get the full on grind at bedroom levels
i've played blackstar ht series alot, just no real clean tones i'm after...

i tried the ac4 head and quite liked it, and its really cheap ? too cheap maybe?

Any7423, what do you have on offer?
+1 for the Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister. I own one.

It's 18 watts but you can bring it down to 5 or even 1 watt. The one watt setting is still loud mind you, but you can crank it all the way up in your room and it won't be too much of a bother to the people next door.

The amp is fantastic. The cleans are extremely clean. It can get some pretty high gain sounds. However, the lead boost sounds solid state to me. I'm not saying it is, but sure as hell sounds it.

Definitely look into the amp.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
+1 for the Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister. I own one.

It's 18 watts but you can bring it down to 5 or even 1 watt. The one watt setting is still loud mind you, but you can crank it all the way up in your room and it won't be too much of a bother to the people next door.

The amp is fantastic. The cleans are extremely clean. It can get some pretty high gain sounds. However, the lead boost sounds solid state to me. I'm not saying it is, but sure as hell sounds it.

Definitely look into the amp.

not familiar with this amp but sounds promising..

how much do these go for used these days in the UK ?
Quote by daverichards

i tried the ac4 head and quite liked it, and its really cheap ? too cheap maybe?

A Sheldon TrueTone 3, it's an all valve botique handwired valve amp. It can go from 9w in class AB to 3w in class A. And I have some less powerful valves that can take it down to 3w in class AB and 1w in class A. It has a celestion Vintage 30 speaker.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
I have a vht special 6 and I'm loving it for clean/slightly overdriven sounds. It may be voiced a little darker than you are looking for though, but it's definitely worth a look!
Quote by Dan_5893
What?I don't see any solid state circuitry there.

Get the AC4. You can dial it down to 0.25w if you want to get the full on grind at bedroom levels

You're right Dan..The Fender Champ is not a Hybrid..
I was incorrect though.. it's a 6 inch speaker..

as far as "Not getting British Sound".. It's a practice amp... it sounds pleasing when plugged in, and you can hear it, who cares that it doesn't sound like "Clapton's Rig"

I practice witha vox headphone amp plugged into my MP3 player... I let "My Sound" come out of my rig either in rehearsal, or on stage through "MY RIG" that is too much to just practice out of...

The Fender's a hundred bucks, it makes sound.. good sound.. Get what you want...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
You're right Dan..The Fender Champ is not a Hybrid..
I was incorrect though.. it's a 6 inch speaker..

as far as "Not getting British Sound".. It's a practice amp... it sounds pleasing when plugged in, and you can hear it, who cares that it doesn't sound like "Clapton's Rig"

I practice witha vox headphone amp plugged into my MP3 player... I let "My Sound" come out of my rig either in rehearsal, or on stage through "MY RIG" that is too much to just practice out of...

The Fender's a hundred bucks, it makes sound.. good sound.. Get what you want...

Sorry, I mistook the fender for a black star cos I was comparing them both to someone yesterday on here.

My point about it not being British sounding is that he wanted a Vox sounding amp and Vox amps are Brit-voiced. Anyway I believe that the Vox ac4 and H&K tubemeister are way better options.
Quote by daverichards
not familiar with this amp but sounds promising..

how much do these go for used these days in the UK ?

You'll be lucky to get one used. They are very new. They were only released about 6 months ago.
Quote by daverichards

Yep, it is too cheap. It's worth much more. But the Hughes and letter looks cool too and I'd still consider the Vox Nighttrain.
Quote by Dan_5893
What?

I don't see any solid state circuitry there.

That schematic is all wrong. If you built it that way the 10K resistor would blow up. The OT should connect before that resistor, not after.

The new Champion 600's are a little different but the only SS stuff in them is the rectifier. I think he must have been thinking of the superchamp.

AC4 - great little amp.

Clapton's rig? He recorded Layla on a Champ.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
That schematic is all wrong. If you built it that way the 10K resistor would blow up. The OT should connect before that resistor, not after.

The new Champion 600's are a little different but the only SS stuff in them is the rectifier. I think he must have been thinking of the superchamp.

AC4 - great little amp.

I wouldn't build from that schematic, it was just the first one that loaded for me that wasn't stupidly big. Just demonstrating my point
Quote by Cathbard

HA!! Well there ya go..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
champ?
i've come across some little red knob champ 12's...?

i'm assuming this is different from the classic 'champ' ?
The Champ II and Super Champ had 10's in them... can't find a Champ with a 12...

Both of those above are Solid State amps...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Don't Laney do some smaller valve amps - http://www.laney.co.uk/show_range.php?rid=21
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
just bear in mind that even 5 watts is loud without some form of power scaling
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
just bear in mind that even 5 watts is loud without some form of power scaling

Pffft, maybe if you're a pussy.

For those confused about Champs and what has been and so forth:
http://ampwares.com/?brand=fender&line=champ
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
he did say he had paper thin walls

i mean if i crank my 5 watters (and i'm not even talking completely cranked... like edge of breakup) i'm pretty much standing outside the room to play. that's going to go through thin walls pretty easily.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
he did say he had paper thin walls

i mean if i crank my 5 watters (and i'm not even talking completely cranked... like edge of breakup) i'm pretty much standing outside the room to play. that's going to go through thin walls pretty easily.

People can clearly hear my AC4 downstairs when I crank it......on the .25w setting.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Me personally, I would consider either the Vox Lil Night Train or the Jet City Picovalve. With the Jet City, it has power scaling and you can use any combination of tubes you can imagine which gives you a number of tones you can achieve.
Quote by daverichards
champ?
i've come across some little red knob champ 12's...?

i'm assuming this is different from the classic 'champ' ?

a shop by me had one of these a while ago, but it's an 18 watt amp iirc, so probably not the kind of thing you are looking for.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
if your actually not lieing and you live where the walls are paper mache, 5 watts is still too much. if you are talking home / practice use, expore 0.5-2 watters like the blackheart, vox lil night train, vox ac4, fender has one, etc.

they all have variable power to some degree and will EASILY get loud enough to piss off neighbors if they are all the way up. most amps will. however, the lil night teain can still play clean in oyur house at 2 watts if you tame it with your volume controlsbut get a great crunck when you bring down teh power and turn up your guitar.

if you need headroom for some gain effects, that might be another concern. i dunno. i love the lil night train. if i had 350 extra bucks i would own one for home use. amazing little amps.
Quote by JKHC
People can clearly hear my AC4 downstairs when I crank it......on the .25w setting.

i could well believe that
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
which blackheart are we talking about?

also, i'm conscious alot of these smaller amps have 8" speakers? or 10...
in my experience these smaller speakers sound a bit shit...

i've not bought a cab in years, cheap cabs around? but still alright quality?
For all those who mentionned Fender Champ Amps, I just picked up a Vibro Champ XD. It's a 5W class A tube amp (but with a SS rectifier) It actually sounds pretty good. It has some built in effects like Reverb, Tremolo, Delay, Chorus, and Vibratone. It also gives you 16 voicings.. From the old Fender Tweeds to Hot Rods, to Brit to accoustic. I find it pretty useful for practice purpose. Check it out, you might find it to suit you pretty well.