Is there a style of PC speakers that you guys recommend?

I've been looking to (cost-efficiently) upgrade my speakers from these crappy little ones that came packaged with my system. I've found some pretty nice floor-standing speakers that are 100 USD each, so a little high (for my budget) but not too awful.

Any input is appreciated
Smoke 'em 'til ya die.
For recording, you'll need some nearfield monitors for accurate playback.
For just listening pleasure, HiFi speakers are better.
Go at least 5.1 surround sound I'd say.

I got some Trust 5.1 surround sound speakers for my PC for £30. They're beautiful and cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-15990-SoundForce-5-1/dp/B001HSMG9W/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1326037830&sr=1-5

That's what I got.
Last edited by SG_dave at Jan 8, 2012,
Currently im using the Logitech Z506 5.1 speakers, pretty damn sexy
if you need something for actual monitoring, then i agree with SkepsisMetal and you should save up for some KRKs
Hi, my name is Forrest and i play the Gee-tar

Current Equipment
Vintage V300 acoustic
Squier Bullet Strat
Fender FM 212R Amp
Vintage Les Paul

Next Guitar/Amp
none....... YET
I ALSO PRODUCE CRAPPY MUSIC
Twitter?
Thanks guys SG_Dave, I'm probably buying that system. And as far as monitoring goes I prefer direct monitoring through a headset so KRKs wouldn't be necessary.
Smoke 'em 'til ya die.
A half-decent pair of speakers are going to be much better than a budget 5.1 setup.
I wouldn't get that Trust system, unless you reaaally want surround for movies and can't spend anymore. In terms of actual audio quality, you probably couldn't do a lot worse.
I have some 5.1 surround Logitech speakers that cost me about $160. Cheap, and very, very worth the price. They look good, sound good and can get quite loud, if that's your thing.

The only problem is, they make an annoying popping sound when random appliances are turned on around the house. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it can drive you up the wall.
Quote by vitchb
A half-decent pair of speakers are going to be much better than a budget 5.1 setup.
I wouldn't get that Trust system, unless you reaaally want surround for movies and can't spend anymore. In terms of actual audio quality, you probably couldn't do a lot worse.

Ya know surround sound really doesn't interest me that much, but they are cheap.

Avoiding surround sound, focusing purely on audio quality, what would you recommend under 200 USD?
Smoke 'em 'til ya die.
Quote by vitchb

I was suggesting a budget choice. They sound pretty good for cheap speakers. Hell I'd be happy about the quality of these if I'd bought them for £75.