Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for the most bizarre tuning to use for mainly progressive metal (i.e. - Dream Theater) or stoner rock (i.e. - Queens of the Stone Age).

I want to know some tunings you guys have come up with. Something out of the ordinary.
To play some 7-string stuff on 6-string guitar (nevermore in particular):

low to high

Bb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
E Standard with a Low C:

E
B
G
D
A
C

Or

E
B
G
C
A
C

And any variant of that.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
The weirdest tuning I've ever used from low to high was Db Ab Db Eb Ab Db or something like that.
From the amount of threads about the different sort of tunings people use, I think EADGBE has become the rarest tuning out there
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by GaryBillington
From the amount of threads about the different sort of tunings people use, I think EADGBE has become the rarest tuning out there

True. I use ABCDEF myself.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
I personally like a good bit of DADGAD it's used a lot for acoustic tapping songs (Trace Bundy uses it a lot) as well as Kashmir. The lower end is essentially drop D, allowing for some good work with easy power chords, but the first two strings are tuned to make an open strum a Dsus4 chord.

Also used a lot in celtic music.
My favorite? That's tough... I would have to say GDADGBE on my seven.

The weirdest tuning I've used? I have DdAadd on an old Squier Bullet. The Ds are all one step below the high E string, except for the low D, which is the same as the 4th string. The As are an octave apart, with the lower being the same as the 5th string.

It's fun to play around with.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
BF#BGBE Karnivool tuning, but really interesting to play around with due to the large interval in the middle of the strings
Just two. High to low:

EBGDAEBE
EBGDAEAC#

The first is drop E. It's actually standard tuning with a low E so I can do full eight-string barre chords with the root on the sixth string if I need to. The second I nicked from Animals As Leaders. The drop A is different (compared to standard B) but the minor sixth between it and the low C# has opened up some interesting phrasings.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by omidmash
True. I use ABCDEF myself.

when ever I get my hands on a 7 string, I tune to ABCDEFG
and for 8 strings: ABCDEFGH (yes, I'm going German here)
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I use E and Eb mainly, though I do dabble in Drop D, Drop C# and Drop C at times. I'd have to go with Guitar Craft Standard Tuning, or "New Standard Tuning", as one of the odder tunings out there, it's CGDAEG from low to high, it's tuned to fifths like a cello from a low C, and the high G is up a minor third from the E. You'd need an odd string gauge to use it, I think. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I use 2 tunings- Standard and New Standard Tuning (NST). NST is CGDAEG, and is the preferred tuning of Robert Fripp & his students/cronies.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 8, 2012,
I don't know why, but when I'm looking up a tab and I'm in say E Standard and the tab is a half step down, I get frustrated for some reason. If it's in drop C or even like C Standard I don't care, but for some reason the thought of tuning everything down a half step annoys me, even though I still do it.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
I liked a lot DFCEAE. A lot of nice harmonies there, and it's easy to go back to Open C (my normal acoustic tuning.)
If you're a death metal player, nothing in the world is heavier than Bb standard, shit's unreal.

C standard, Drop Bb, and Bb standard are my favorite tunings, (Bb is also basically Eb standard as well, so it's sort of a 4th tuning :P )
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I don't really venture into the world of low tunings, but BADGBE and BbAbDbGbEb are pretty cool
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I use 2 tunings- Standard and New Standard Tuning (NST). NST is CGDAEG, and is the preferred tuning of Robert Fripp & his students/cronies.

And FWIW, I'd love to get a baritone or 2 (maybe a Steinberger TransTrem and a Jon Kammerer headless acoustic) and do a version of NST on 'em: AEBF#C#E. Should be nice & rumbly.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Tango616
If you're a death metal player, nothing in the world is heavier than Bb standard, shit's unreal.

Although I prefer Drop Bb/A#, so I can easily tune up to C std.

OT: I use everything, but I prefer Eb/Drop Db, D/Drop C, and C/Drop A#
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by Dayn
Just two. High to low:

EBGDAEBE
EBGDAEAC#

The first is drop E. It's actually standard tuning with a low E so I can do full eight-string barre chords with the root on the sixth string if I need to. The second I nicked from Animals As Leaders. The drop A is different (compared to standard B) but the minor sixth between it and the low C# has opened up some interesting phrasings.

What tuning isn't high to low? It's always high to low, why even state it?

I'd tune every string to the same note, kinda like the C# guy at the top of the thread, nobody will be able to figure out what your tuning is, they will all assume the "high to low" tunings and be totally wrong.
Quote by ethan_hanus
What tuning isn't high to low? It's always high to low, why even state it?
Because absolutely every single person in this thread who posted their tuning horizontally did it low to high.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
Because absolutely every single person in this thread who posted their tuning horizontally did it low to high.

You should always start from the 1st string, which is the high E, not the 6th low string. But you are right, everyone posts it that way.
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Write 6 letter words with notes, then tune your guitar.

I read this and now I use DEFACe tuning.
Drop ZZ sharp negative times infinity (DZZ#-Xsideways8) for Ub3r Br00t4lz that's maor br00t4l than satan himself.
Quote by FearMyLightning
Drop ZZ sharp negative times infinity (DZZ#-Xsideways8) for Ub3r Br00t4lz that's maor br00t4l than satan himself.

Is that ZZ Top's tuning? lol
I use a fair few. I'm currently liking DADGGD, DADADD [Also a half step down] and simply Drop D.
AGCFAD Drop C/D Standard but with a dropped A. There's also DADGAD and DADGBD.

If you have a seven, try Tosin tuning: Bb Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb
Last edited by Somekid94 at Jan 21, 2012,
F B E A C# F# or F#A E A C F# if I'm not in standard or E flat, though sometimes I'll play with the keys for a while until I find something sexy
I always play E standard or drop d. But today, I was learning Iris and tuned it DDDDDB. Got distracted while I was tryin to learn it. it was fun to play around with.
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
Page 1 of 2