Hey UG people!

I got this cheap no name strat (see file attached) from a friend of mine. It has a wire-like, original, twangy tin can sound, not very full but (for funk) quite useable...
As I have some time & money to spend, I was thinking about customizing it.

How do you think I should customize it?
I was thinking about a dot design (white & blue, dots a bit taller than those on this pic) with dice potis.

What do you think of this idea? Is it possible to just grind off the current black finish and spray on the new design using cans?
Shall I also customize the neck? Switch the PUs?

Any suggestions, ideas, tips & hints, positive or negative feedback is very welcome.

regards
saitenstechen
Attachments:
STRAT.jpg
If you do it right you can get great finishes with spray cans. Dupli-color acrylic-laquer is one of the best cheap sprays you can use. I always heat up a pot of water on the stove and stick the cans in it for a minute. It makes for less nossel spit.

In the US www.guitarfetish.com has good quality parts and pickups for way less than any other site.

Look up SullysGuitarGarage on youtube, he has some very good finishing videos.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That dot design and the knobs are for pussies.
Spend all the money on new pickups. For funk I'd get a Seymour Duncan California 50' single coil set (SSL-1). They're sick pickups and anything more expensive probably won't make a difference cos of the quality of wood used in the guitar. If you wanted to customize it you could relic it by yourself for no cost and it'll look awesome! Jugs don't do anything to the neck unless you know what you're doing.
Quote by itamar100
Spend all the money on new pickups. For funk I'd get a Seymour Duncan California 50' single coil set (SSL-1). They're sick pickups and anything more expensive probably won't make a difference cos of the quality of wood used in the guitar. If you wanted to customize it you could relic it by yourself for no cost and it'll look awesome! Jugs don't do anything to the neck unless you know what you're doing.

Um... he said it's already fine for what he's going for. This is just an aesthetic mod, not an audible one.
Quote by Wisthekiller
Um... he said it's already fine for what he's going for. This is just an aesthetic mod, not an audible one.

He asked whether he should change pickups. And anyway relicing it would look the coolest
Quote by Robbgnarly
Look up SullysGuitarGarage on youtube, he has some very good finishing videos.

Thank you, that helps a lot.

Quote by itamar100
Spend all the money on new pickups.. They're sick pickups and anything more expensive probably won't make a difference cos of the quality of wood used in the guitar.

I am fully aware of that. I wouldn't put those excellent pick-ups in this crappy body.
I was just wondering on how I could accentuate the distinctive thin twang sound...

Quote by itamar100
you could relic it by yourself for no cost and it'll look awesome!

Quote by itamar100
anyway relicing it would look the coolest.

A matter of taste. Me personally, I prefer clean, flashy looks.
In this case I am looking for a design that matches the sound... I should have added a sample, sorry for that.

Thanks for feedback so far.
If you want to mod the wiring, you could put in some phase switches, which make the sound thinner and funkier. Super easy to do too. If you don't want to drill for toggles, you can use push-pull pots (http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=333), but I personally would just use toggles because its a cheap guitar, they're easier to use, cheaper, and easier to find at a local store. Switching to 500k pots will make it a bit louder with more high end.
Decided for a greenburst-look in the end.

I did the front today, back will be done soon.
I decided for green glow potis & a phase switch (thanks for the recommendation).

Will post picture & maybe an audio sample when done.

Thanks UG
Knobs are bitchin, far superior to dice. Put the phase switch on the middle pickup. Def post pics, hope it turns out nice.
Greenburst & glowing potis it is. As well as Phase Switch.

Pictures on my profile, because I can't upload them in the thread.
Thanks to y'all.