Page 29 of 31
Quote by assaf.levanon
Thanks for the feedback! Is there a point to double track the riff, or just the chords?
I'll check out these amp sims.

BTW, your cover sounds amazing!

You need to double track your rhythm guitars (not the solos) for the whole song so that your guitars can kind of make your song stereo. Think about it, if you only single everything, your song is gonna be in mono - well, except the drums. So try double tracking the rhythm guitars and pan them hard left and right, you will see the big difference!

Thanks for the compliment =)
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by assaf.levanon
Maybe it's just me, but I would turn the basses down.
Anyways, sounds great!

Yeah, but just a hair. The user should still be able to tell that there is a bass guitar. Don't pull a "...And Justice For All", where the bass is so low that in the mix that you NEVER hear it.
Quote by Guitar0player
https://soundcloud.com/michelle-shanekers-limbo/elemental-harmonizer-wip

A little work in progress I had in mind. My friend says it sounds "all over the place and like giant mess".

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't quite describe it as that, although the effects on the guitar are a bit overbearing. Maybe that was the point, but to me it sounds too wet.

The drums need more volume, at the volume they are at they may as well not be there.

I like the synth that comes in around 1:30.

For the crescendo the drums definitely need to be more up front IMO.

The main things I would work on are levelling of the instruments, and some EQ to make them sit better together. The effect on the guitar may just be a taste thing, but the way it is now it is a bit muddy and clashes with the bass, and there is not enough distinction between the instruments.

Cool piece of music though

Quote by DirtyChain
Any feedback would be nice.
Thanks!

That solo sounds awesome, although a bit of delay or reverb wouldn't hurt.

Some of the cymbals seem to be popping out a bit more than others.

Personally I would get a bit more bass guitar in there.

The synth parts sound cool but they are a bit grating, may need either a different setting or some subtractive EQ.

The playing is very tight and professional sounding so good job there.

Enjoyed those a lot, followed both of you.

Here's something I have spent the last few days working on. Live drums were recorded about 6 months ago when I recorded the drums for my album, and I only just got round to actually finishing this one.

Drums are live with some editing and sample reinforcement.
Bass recorded with an Ibanez SR305 through a DI.
Guitars are quad tracked using an Ibanez RG2570Z Prestige with a Crunch Lab in the bridge, and a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser with an EMG 81. Both recorded through a Peavey 6505, Marshall 1960AV and a 57. Tube Screamer and Noise Suppressor used as well.
Vocals taken from the original stem that was made available with Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

Any feedback is welcome, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwmVQM9y5wM&feature=youtu.be
https://soundcloud.com/charlie-munro-mixes/my-curse-by-killswitch-engage-live-drums
Random3,
This is a great mix and a great cover. I did hear some noise around 1:55. I cannot tell what it is which doesn't help. Other than that, it sounds very professional.
Thanks for the follow, I followed back.
Quote by DirtyChain
Random3,
This is a great mix and a great cover. I did hear some noise around 1:55. I cannot tell what it is which doesn't help. Other than that, it sounds very professional.
Thanks for the follow, I followed back.

Cheers for the feedback, I can't listen to it at the moment but when I get home I'll have a look and see what there is at 1:55.
Quote by Random3
I wouldn't quite describe it as that, although the effects on the guitar are a bit overbearing. Maybe that was the point, but to me it sounds too wet.

The drums need more volume, at the volume they are at they may as well not be there.

I like the synth that comes in around 1:30.

For the crescendo the drums definitely need to be more up front IMO.

The main things I would work on are levelling of the instruments, and some EQ to make them sit better together. The effect on the guitar may just be a taste thing, but the way it is now it is a bit muddy and clashes with the bass, and there is not enough distinction between the instruments.

Cool piece of music though

Any feedback is welcome, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwmVQM9y5wM&feature=youtu.be
https://soundcloud.com/charlie-munro-mixes/my-curse-by-killswitch-engage-live-drums

Thank you kindly, sir(or madam). The wetness of the instruments is intentional, it's supposed to be a space rock piece. I tried to go for a wall of sound approach but it seems more like I got a wall of mud.

Sadly I am not familiar with the original song but so far it sounds really ****ing awesome. It's amazing how tight your playing is(yours and the drummer's).
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Last edited by Guitar0player at Jul 8, 2015,
Quote by Guitar0player
Thank you kindly, sir(or madam). The wetness of the instruments is intentional, it's supposed to be a space rock piece. I tried to go for a wall of sound approach but it seems more like I got a wall of mud.

In that case here's a couple of things to try.

Generally 400Hz = mud. That does vary depending on the instrument but in a rock context that's the way I view it. Cutting back on 400Hz or other low/mid frequencies can help give more clarity.

Another trick that works especially well with reverb and delay is filtering the wet signal independantly of the dry. I can't listen to your track at the moment and I don't recall if you used delay or reverb, but some plugins allow you to high pass the wet signal and therefore reduce low/mid frequency clutter. Basically you can dial it in so that you are only adding reverb to freqencies above, say, 1kHz. If you don't have any plugins that do this you can simply stick the reverb on an auxillary and send the dry track to the effects aux, but stick an EQ on the effects aux.

If you recorded the instrument with an effects pedal then you won't be able to do this however, unless you record it twice.
Hello everyone,

If anyone could offer an ear, it would be appreciated:

https://soundcloud.com/nolanjohns/mississippi-blues

-Fender Dreadnought with a dynamic SM57 recorded in my flat.
-I've added some reverb and filtered out 80hz and under...boosted mids and treble a little (just following what seems to be common advice online)
-I'm totally new to recording/mixing and just have no real ear for it yet. What could be improved or changed here?

Thanks,

-Nolan
Last edited by GrateTheHouse at Jul 9, 2015,
Quote by GrateTheHouse
*post*

With something like that, being one instrument on it's own, there's always going to be a limit in what you can actually do. For example, frequencies are rarely going to sound out of place or be problematic unless to combine it with another instrument.

Apart from the track being panned entirely to the left, the only thing I noticed was a bit of noise at about 30 seconds, which would have been due to not muting the strings. Depends what you want though, as it does add a degree of naturalism.

Nice playing, and the guitar sounds pretty sweet as it is.

I have been working on a collection of original songs which I am planning on turning into my next album. I decided to fully record this one as it is the most complete, and it's the first original song I have recorded since I did my album last year.

Musically it is more of a straight-up modern metal song than my previous material. I have dialled back the prog influences although they are still present.

The song is instrumental, although I would like to add vocals at some point.

Any feedback on the song and/or the mix would be greatly appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmPwvEB2CGE
So i've been mixing a few months and have seen definte improvement in my mixs from before. But the biggest hurdle has always been low end. It has been the topic most discussed whenever I share my mixes. I have my bass split to low and grind tracks. But what exactly should I be hearing/looking for? It just doesn't register. Heres the latest mix I did for an original song. Guitars are TSE X50 v2, Drums are EZdrummer 2.
https://soundcloud.com/wolves-and-revenants/demorevision
Quote by Random3

- I thought the song was pretty cool, but it felt too long quite empty without vocals or a lead melody. Your playing is solid!

- I think the mixes low-end could use centering with a direction mixer or such. The kick is a tad too loud imo, but otherwise the bass/kick duo works well. I'd also loosen up the side-chain from the snare.

- The bass could use some saturation/distortion to further support the guitars. It also sounds very muddy in the low-mids

- The guitar tone is pretty good, but lacks "crispiness". Maybe put a pre-amp in front of the guitars' signal-chain?

All-in-all a solid job!

----

After working on this for around 20 hours during three days, I finally got it done. This is my second go at these stems, the first time being approximately a year ago. Having bought new plugins and developed as a mixer, it felt meaningful redoing this. Feel free to tell me what you think, and any criticism you come up with. I think the kick is too dominating....

Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/onni-korhonen/architects-broken-cross-second-mixing-practice

If you want to have a go at this song, you can download the stem tracks here: www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/practice…er-multis.html

The stuff I used:

- Guitars: Peavey Revalver MK.III V

- Drums: EZdrummer

- Synths: Omnisphere 2

- DAW: Logic Pro 9

- Extra Plugins: C6 multi-band compressor, Vitamin Sonic Enhancer, Rbass, Native Instruments Supercharger GT compressor, Stillwell Event Horizon Limiter
Been very busy so haven't got round to posting here last couple of weeks.

Quote by Mister Revenant
*post*

This definitely doesn't sound bad, only thing is I can hear the compression which isn't a good sign. Make clever use of multiband compression to squash the low end of the bass, use subtractive EQ on the bass and the kick to make sure they aren't competing for space, and you can try side chaining the kick to the bass compressor as well. Also try a limiter on the bass. Basically, if your bass guitar is too dynamic then it will cause your bus/master compressors to over-compress the low end which I think is what has happened here but it is hard to say.

Quote by Tuomionmursu
*post*

First off the drums sound great, I wouldn't say the kick is too loud but that may be a taste thing, I like loud kicks. The guitars sound nice and beefy and they lock in with the bass very well. I also like the synths thrown in. I can't actually think of a huge amount to crit on this because it sounds great to my ears.

Quote by BKSlash

I assume we are critting the playing here because it is recorded over the original track?

The lead part at 0:34 is a bit loud compared to the other guitars. There are quite a few scratches and fret sounds in the intro which may be exaggerated by the amount of gain you have used. Also at 0:48 I can hear an edit where a new take was started, make sure you crossfade those. The fact that is is recorded over the original makes it pretty difficult to crit the tone because as it is it sounds very overloaded but that is to be expected. I can't hear any actual mistakes though so good job on the playing.

I uploaded this yesterday, any feedback would be appreciated if anyone has time:

https://soundcloud.com/charlie-munro-mixes/the-end-of-heartache-by-killswitch-engage
Thanks. I've implemented most of the techniques you listed. I think I just had too much going on in the low end. I started also cutting the low end more out of the other tracks except for the bass, some guitar, and kick. Im also trying not to push the compressor as much on the master chain and trying not to push it way past a limiter.
How's this sound?https://dl.dropbox.com/s/g4l1m53fw8dg1hu/Redneck-003.mp3?dl=0
This is a track im working on at the moment. Still doing some tweaks though.
Sounds like waaaay too much low end on the snare. The toms also don't appear to be levelled correctly.

You are correct about what you said, make sure you high pass literally everything to a point. You may even need to high pass some things more than once, depending on how much processing you are doing.

Also as a word of warning, I know this is on Dropbox not Soundcloud, but literally 5 minutes ago I had my version of this song pulled due to copyright, presumably because I used the original vocal track same as this, which has resulted in a strike against my account, so if you have this on Soundcloud as well just remove it.
I think I let too much in to let it cut through. I found it was getting overshadowed when vocals hit. I'll go back in later. Also can you specify about the toms levels?
And thanks. I don't remember if so put it on SoundCloud but I'll check.
I'll have to check the midi and original again. I'm using Superior Drummer now but only have my EZX libraries to work with.
Hello all.

I have been recording a few songs now and again for a while now and, in the true fashion of the talentless, I now utter the words "why do my mixes still suck?" and throw myself at the mercy of those who are more skillful than me.

This is my most recent creation unleashed on the web - here

Any feedback and tips would be appreciated. I dont have a lot of skill to offer back useful crit in return - but I will try to give any observations that may be of merit.

Cheers
Quote by Isakale
Hi! This will be my first ever audio recording. I'm used to doing instrumentals and dealing with MIDI... Any tips, pointers, suggestions or constructive criticism is very appreciated!
Be brutally honest with me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avzRiTuppTI&list=PLUsHPRXBeCvdh5UOp4y2djbBijm1BAV6v&index=19

That sounds real pretty. Very very nice stuff. What pieces in there are midi?

This is a track of my band. A friend of us did a nice video for us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqu3WcvNoc8

Would love some honest feedback as well.
Quote by Isakale
Hi! This will be my first ever audio recording. I'm used to doing instrumentals and dealing with MIDI... Any tips, pointers, suggestions or constructive criticism is very appreciated!
Be brutally honest with me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avzRiTuppTI&list=PLUsHPRXBeCvdh5UOp4y2djbBijm1BAV6v&index=19

My knowledge is limited - so I'm just going to give my thoughts and opinions - they may be totally useless.

The overall sound is pretty good. The vocals could do with evening out a little - in a couple of places they jump out a little too much for me. I would say that maybe the backing vocal could be a little lower in the mix and would maybe benefit from some additional reverb and maybe some delay. This isnt a style I am into so I dont really know what else to suggest.

Cheers.
Quote by RabidBadger
My knowledge is limited - so I'm just going to give my thoughts and opinions - they may be totally useless.

The overall sound is pretty good. The vocals could do with evening out a little - in a couple of places they jump out a little too much for me. I would say that maybe the backing vocal could be a little lower in the mix and would maybe benefit from some additional reverb and maybe some delay. This isnt a style I am into so I dont really know what else to suggest.

Cheers.

Thanks!! I see what you mean! I'll work on that. :]

Quote by nyandres
That sounds real pretty. Very very nice stuff. What pieces in there are midi?

Would love some honest feedback as well.

Thanks! I meant other songs I've written used MIDI. :]
Quote by GRABBER
Hey there,

I'm looking for some feed back on my mix. Here is a link to the song on Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/dyslexics-have-more-fnu/ctf-unmastered-mix-v2

I'm pretty new to mixing and mastering so I don't know how helpfull I can be in a C4C situation, but I'd be more than glad to give my 2cants.

Thanks a ton!

Hello there.

I'm not a huge fan of this style of sound, but for what it is it sounds pretty good. As a personal preference I dont like the snare sound - it's very artificial sounding. I'm not saying that mine is any better, but maybe some variation in the sequencing might help?

The cymbals are a bit lost and quite whooshy, during the blast beat the hi-hat just becomes a wall of high end cymbal. I would suggest slapping an eq on the cymbal tracks and have a sweep around above 10k and see if there is any range that can be cut a few db to improve the clarity.

The kick drum sounds a little odd. It seems to have a bit of a popping noise to the attack. I dont know whether that is a choice you made, to me it sounds odd, but preferences are what they are.

Anyway, I wanted to give some hopefully helpful points. Overall it sounds pretty good. The vocals are well mixed in (something I struggle with). The guitars sound good too.

Cheers
Thanks for the feedback RabidBadger.

Re: the snare and kick, as they are is kinda the sound I was looking for, wasn't too worried about how "real" they sounded. If you've head of F***... I'm Dead, that's the kinda feel I was going for on this particular track. They are a couple of those "pops" that I do want to remedy though.

Re: The cymbals, I totally get what you mean. Its something I've been having trouble with on a couple of the mixes I've been working on. Thanks for the tip with the EQ, I'l try that out.

Thanks again!
Quote by WhatISThat
its boring. I'm bored

To elaborate on that oh-so-insightful feedback...

I like the pick tapping in the intro, but it's not tight enough. There's a clear rhythm to it, and that rhythm is off beat. The clean part after it needs a few times over, too.

Singer's nice, but give her some more mids so I can understand what the hell she's saying.

When the powerchords come in, they're all clear and bright, but thin. Less highs (700-2k) and more low mids, please, that's what they do in the mix. Cutting the highs will give your singer some much needed space, too.
Hi I'm a more or less beginner guitarist who wants to improve on his guitar skills I'm having a hard time criticising my own work so I was hoping some of you guys might give feedback on this:

https://soundcloud.com/joe-catarata/start-1

Its a cover of an acoustic instrumental song from Depapepe

I've been practicing some string bends and alternate picking lately.

Criticism is highly appreciated!
Thank You!
Quote by Cavalcade
To elaborate on that oh-so-insightful feedback...

I like the pick tapping in the intro, but it's not tight enough. There's a clear rhythm to it, and that rhythm is off beat. The clean part after it needs a few times over, too.

Singer's nice, but give her some more mids so I can understand what the hell she's saying.

When the powerchords come in, they're all clear and bright, but thin. Less highs (700-2k) and more low mids, please, that's what they do in the mix. Cutting the highs will give your singer some much needed space, too.

This is great thanks.
I'd love to get a few pointers on this track.
https://soundcloud.com/kyleganger/derpdon

I can't quite get the drums to really pop like I want to.
Any pointers on how to get them to stick out more would be awesome.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Hello all! I'm a newbie to these forums and just recently finished recording a project that I started working on earlier this year. It's instrumental metal at the moment, with a couple tracks that actually have vocals on them, but currently not public. Anyway, enough of the chit chat, here it the album entitled Troxler's Fading by The Alian Martians Project. Any critique would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

https://soundcloud.com/thealianmartiansproject/sets/troxlers-fading-instrumental
Hey guys here's a song i wrote/recorded (heavy kinda stuff) https://soundcloud.com/davies101/worlds-collide

It was pretty much entirely digitally processed once it was all inside the box. I tried really hard to built separation with panning and frequency placement, but I feel as though I might need to add some analog gear to my repertoire to help give separation without having to make too many frequency sacrifices.

Would appreciate a word from someone with experience with analog gear (mostly i'm thinking a range of preamps for different character) or even someone who just might have a suggestion for furthering separation in the box?

Cheers!
Nintendo arise today it is blurred the amount of three of its acknowledged Wii titles, Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Wii Sports Resort, which starting today are accessible for $29.99 each Buy FIFA 16 Coins.All three amateur can aswell be played on Wii U systems. According to Nintendo columnist release, the new appraisement is adumbrative of "one of the abounding accomplish Nintendo is demography to accommodate shoppers with the best amount and array beyond all its systems through the end of 2013." This follows annual endure ages of Nintendo's affairs to lower to amount of Wii U Deluxe from $349.99 to $299.99.Nintendo's advertisement did not acknowledgment the Basic Set, which it began affairs from some retail outlets beforehand this year, however.

Sony Computer Ball Japan Asia is captivation a columnist conference Sept. 9, and the accident will be livestreamed on the European PlayStation Blog with an English translation, according to the PlayStation Europe Twitter account.Sony arise the columnist conference endure month, adage that it would be livestreamed in Japanese with updates traveling out on the PlayStation Japan Twitter account. The appearance is said to be focused on Japan-centric news, and will activate at 3 p.m. Japan Standard Time (2 a.m. ET) Cheap FIFA 16 Coins. It will yield abode 10 canicule afore the alpha of the 2013 Tokyo Bold Show, which runs from Sept. 19-22. While the PlayStation 4 has accurate absolution dates in North America (Nov. 15) and Europe (Nov. 29), Sony has yet to advertise if the animate will be accessible in Japan. Antecedent PlayStation Europe on Twitter
https://soundcloud.com/arghyadeepmitra/sgfinal

A track I'm doing for my band's EP.
What do you think of the mix?

Guitars are LTD H338 w/ stock pups>Zoom G3>Reaper, bass is pitch shifted guitar>Bias, drums are Steven Slate Drums.

C4C guys! Link me to whatever you want me to crit, and I'll get back to you asap
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 27, 2015,