Page 3 of 31
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/Jan%2020th%20v4.mp3

There ya go. Hopefully it's better than the first thing I submitted.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm

Sounds awesome. Personally I would
1. Turn the snare down a bit
2. Add some reverb to the center lead track that starts at 20 secs and lower the volume a bit to push it back and add more ambience
3. Take some of the delay off of the solo at 1:27, sounds too muddied/busy to clearly hear what's going on

But those are what I would do, not necessarily something you should.

Awesome song/mix, very powerful and it grooves like crazy.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by kylendm

Definitely much better, the snare is still too intrusive though.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by OfCourseNot
Sounds awesome. Personally I would
1. Turn the snare down a bit
2. Add some reverb to the center lead track that starts at 20 secs and lower the volume a bit to push it back and add more ambience
3. Take some of the delay off of the solo at 1:27, sounds too muddied/busy to clearly hear what's going on

But those are what I would do, not necessarily something you should.

Awesome song/mix, very powerful and it grooves like crazy.

Quote by ChemicalFire
Definitely much better, the snare is still too intrusive though.

Thanks guys. I'm going to pull down 800hz on the snare a little and maybe pull it down a little in the mix overall. I think it's pretty good for something I wrote in a couple hours though haha. Thanks for the help guys! I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread to lend a helping hand to others too.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by Odirunn
What it do. Playing around with tones while we finish tracking this week.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/Breakdowns%20McGee%20Teaser.mp3

Chuggahchugchugchug. Chuggahchugchugchug. Chuggahchugchugchug.

That crash is a bit distracting and sounds too much like a computer. Try humanizing the velocities on the drums. Also the guitars are a little muddy and the vocals kind of get lost a little because they are fighting the other frequencies in the mix. Try and get them to sit a little better. It does sound really good though, just picking it out.

A little verb on the snare would be cool to. It's pretty dry. It's also a little tight for my liking, i'd use something a little looser but that's personal preference.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by FireHawk
Nah I think you should just drop some volume a little bit in the mix. Also try varying velocities on the pot and box a bit more so it doesn't sound so much like just a loop playing. Very very tiny drop on the homemade percussion volume as well.

I guess you chould just turn the guitars up and that would fix the majority of issues.

Thanks for listening man. I'm going to have another go at mixing it tomorrow or possibly tonight if I manage to get my other work done. If you can think of any tips/links/things I should read up on then please let me know, everything will be appreciated
Anybody care to crit my mix of a remix I did of Levels by Avicii? I don't really think I distributed reverb evenly over every single track that could use it, but for my first song that I've ever attempted to master, it turned out decent.
here it is: http://soundcloud.com/sickbeets/levels-remix-avicii
It was made in FL Studio 10 so incase anybody is wondering.
Hey guys,

Here's my cover of Boulevard Of Broken Dreams by Green Day. Thoughts on the mix? http://soundcloud.com/tomnomnom91/boulevard-of-broken-dreams

Everything was recorded and mixed in Pro Tools through a 24 channel Soundcraft desk.

The vocals were recorded using an AKG C414. The lead vocals were double tracked and panned left and right, then one of those tracks was duplicated on another channel, moved an eighth of a beat behind the other vocal tracks to create a slight delay effect, then the 'telephone' effect added by EQing out all the low and high ends. The main vocal tracks have the low end EQ'd out, and I've added extra reverb to the backing vocals to give them some depth.

The acoustic (Epiphone EJ-200) was recorded using 2 AKG C414s, one on the soundhole and the other on the neck, panned left and right, then compressed to give it a more "boxy" sound.

All electric guitars were recorded using 2 SM57s, one on each cone of a 300w Fender Twin Reverb. The guitar was a Fender Baja Telecaster, and the overdrive was achieved using a Boss OD-3. The tracks were then panned left and right, with the rights EQ'd with boosted lows and the lefts with boosted highs. Everything except the wah at the end was double tracked. The tremolo effect was created by recording sustained chords, then manually drawing in mute automation and looping it throughout the verses.

The bass (Fender Mike Dirnt Precision) was DI'd into the desk and double tracked, played once with fingers and once with a pick, then the two were EQ'd and blended.

The drums are MIDI sampled, with the snare taken from Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown sessions. Each part of the kit is on its own track, to allow greater control for volume, EQ and panning.

The piano part is a MIDI file written in Guitar Pro, then exported to Garageband. I then found a decent preset sound, fiddled with it a bit and exported as a WAV file, which was then dropped into the Pro Tools session and EQ'd again to fit the rest of the mix.

C4C, naturally.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Last edited by TJ1991 at Jan 27, 2012,
Where did you get that Green day snare?
Double tracked bass!? Why?

IMO, the mix is bad. sorry
Tbh the guitar sounds fine, albeit quiet, I can't hear the bass at all...

...but my God man what were you thinking with those high pitched drum sounds...

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by Fat g0r0T
Where did you get that Green day snare?
Double tracked bass!? Why?

IMO, the mix is bad. sorry

The snare is technically a Slate sample, but it's based on their latest album and sounds exactly the same when unprocessed.

I double tracked the bass just to get the tone of playing with fingers and pick, but blended the two to sound like one bass.

What don't you like about the mix?

Quote by ChemicalFire
Tbh the guitar sounds fine, albeit quiet, I can't hear the bass at all...

...but my God man what were you thinking with those high pitched drum sounds...

What are you listening through? The bass is reasonably prominent through my speakers and headphones, just sits unobtrusively in the mix.

What's wrong with the drum sounds specifically?
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Quote by TJ1991

What are you listening through? The bass is reasonably prominent through my speakers and headphones, just sits unobtrusively in the mix.

What's wrong with the drum sounds specifically?

A pair of reasonably high quality stereo speakers and a transparent transistor Pre-Amp. I just can't really here the bass, maybe it's because the kick and snare for me are so over powering. The drums are extremely cutting and dominate the upper range of the mix.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by TJ1991
The snare is technically a Slate sample, but it's based on their latest album and sounds exactly the same when unprocessed.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no it doesnt.
Quote by j1o1s1h1b1
whats up guys, i just finished recording a cd and as alway i wanna know how to make it better and what to change in the future. so as far as quality and recording, what do you guys think? anything i should change in the mix? ect. http://joshbonanno.bandcamp.com/album/miles-to-go

Wow man, I think it sounds fine. Very high quality stuff.
Quote by ronhoward
Just uploaded my newest track simply titled "Punk Demo." Nothing flashy. Looking for crits on the mix. Will c4c.

http://www.reverbnation.com/whendsasterstrikes

My biggest issue with it is that the guitar is pushing the tempo and it doesn't end quite on the beat. Besides that, I'd take a some low mids out of the room mic for the drums, because the kick and snare (mainly the kick) are a little boxy/boomy. Some more high end on the kick to add attack, maybe even some on the snare and I think that would sound pretty good.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by sanjinator17
Opinions?
I did a lot of experimenting this time around, but I feel it's missing a lot of the middle frequencies. I dont know how to add them with compromising on tone. I dont think i worded that correctly but I think you should understand

http://soundcloud.com/mrsanjaykumar/aurora-unit-central-dynamo-1

My monitors aren't calibrated, but it sounds like the right guitar has more high end and the left guitar has more mids. Try to keep a similar tone across the tracks, otherwise one side may sound louder even if it isn't. Are you using EZ Drummer DFH?
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by j1o1s1h1b1
whats up guys, i just finished recording a cd and as alway i wanna know how to make it better and what to change in the future. so as far as quality and recording, what do you guys think? anything i should change in the mix? ect. http://joshbonanno.bandcamp.com/album/miles-to-go

The only thing I would do is maybe EQ the snaps of the pick hitting the strings down a little. Also you have a nice voice man, bring the vocals up a bit. Make them more in your face.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Wanted to see what you guys think of this. I recorded this a long time ago, and have never been able to replicate it using the same method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYKY3uMd1uU&feature=autoplay&list=UU3MlO9ZS0LRu89vmQd2JSdA&lf=plcp&playnext=1
Here guys check out my mix. It's my solo project, i did everything, guitars, bass, vocals, (programmed drums), synth, etc. www.facebook.com/akingsransomrock Let me know what you think. If you like the song feel free to "like" my page My next song's I'm gonna release are going to be a lot more melodic. Let me know your guys opinions. Thanks.
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner
Quote by Kenova
Here guys check out my mix. It's my solo project, i did everything, guitars, bass, vocals, (programmed drums), synth, etc. www.facebook.com/akingsransomrock Let me know what you think. If you like the song feel free to "like" my page My next song's I'm gonna release are going to be a lot more melodic. Let me know your guys opinions. Thanks.

Damn dude this is brutal. I love it. Really really nice riffs, you've definitely earned my facebook like. I love that awkward vocal section before the little solo melody.

As for the mix, everything is perfect except the lead. I feel like it's a little too bland, I think you should add more mids to the lead.
Sweet! Thanks a lot bro! Really appreciate it! Yeah the lead could be a little sexier for sure !
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner
Last edited by Kenova at Jan 30, 2012,
Quote by angusyoung12345
My first recording what do you think?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg304NMUrww

I don't know if it's because I have a serious ear infection, or what, but it sounds like the majority of the volume is in the left speaker. The tone is ok, could be better, thinking the mic isn't very good, but it's way to busy near the end.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/fghgdf.mp3

Whats up. Been mixing for about an hour on this riff and my ears are tired. I'm going to give it a go in a few more hours just to cool off. Whatcha guys think?
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/fghgdf.mp3

Whats up. Been mixing for about an hour on this riff and my ears are tired. I'm going to give it a go in a few more hours just to cool off. Whatcha guys think?

That snare is pretty atrocious.. way too 80s haha. The kick also gets pretty buried.

Guitars and bass sound pretty nice, though it sounds like you've cut a few of the guitar pick transients when you were editing them!
Let's party.
Me and drums are not a team at all haha.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/Anybetter2.mp3

Is that any better? I didn't cut too much out actually. The playing is really tight but some parts are edited.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by Odirunn
These highs may be hyped to shit because I've got a bad cold and my ears stuffed... but yea, lemme know what's up.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/DUNDADUNDUNDADUNDADUN.mp3

Everything sounds spot on, bass has a nice grit to it, and the guitars are clear and tight. The OHs might have a little to much highs to them but that's minimal. I'd lower the highs just a bit on them.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Kick is a lot better but the snare still has that 80's power balled vibe going on that sounds super goofy in this context haha. I'd try less reverb and more room to get that big snare sound, it just seems so disconnected at the moment!
Let's party.
Sad thing is that I don't have a room mic on the snare since the room mic is in Superior and the snare is Slate. :/
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by ethan_hanus
I don't know if it's because I have a serious ear infection, or what, but it sounds like the majority of the volume is in the left speaker. The tone is ok, could be better, thinking the mic isn't very good, but it's way to busy near the end.

Thanks for responding I will keep that in mind.
Quote by Odirunn
These highs may be hyped to shit because I've got a bad cold and my ears stuffed... but yea, lemme know what's up.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/DUNDADUNDUNDADUNDADUN.mp3

To me the high mids are a bit too pronounced in the palm muting sections, and the low mids sound slightly cut.
Quote by kylendm
Sad thing is that I don't have a room mic on the snare since the room mic is in Superior and the snare is Slate. :/

Try a different snare man the 80's snare isn't working...

I'll comment on everyone else's stuff when I get back from class.