Page 4 of 31
Here's a mix I just finished working on. The song is an acoustic singer-songwriter pop/rock.

Dropbox

Recording:
Vocals recorded with a Blue Baby Bottle mic through a Neve VR board/pre and 1176 compressor into Pro Tools. The 6-string and 12-string were miked with a Neumann TLM49 at the 12th fret about a foot out and angled 45 degrees or so toward the bridge, with a Lauten Oceanus LT381 tube mic for the room, then run through the Neve board and into Pro Tools. The electric guitars were miked with an SM57 on a Spider III, run through a Chandler TG-2 preamp, the Neve board, and into Pro Tools.

Mixing:
Mixed ITB in PT. I used the standard Digi EQIII that comes with PT for EQ on all the tracks. For the 6-string close and room, I used the McDSP Compressor Bank, set to British Compressor, with about 2-4dB of gain reduction on each. No compression on the 12-string or electric. I can't remember if I tracked the 12-string with an 1176, though. The Vocals also use the McDSP Compressor Bank, set to Over-EZ, with about 5-7dB of gain reduction. I also ran the vocals through the Digi De-Esser, just using the Male HF preset. All the guitars were run in to a guitar subgroup with the Digi Compressor 3 on it adding about 3dB of gain reduction to help glue it all together. Same with all the vocals. The guitars were also routed to a separate subgroup (so the signal was sent to two subgroups) for parallel compression. Same with the vocals. The compression subgroup for each is the Bomb Factory 1176 compressor plug-in set to have a ratio of 8:1 and smashed, so about 15-20dB of gain reduction constantly running through it. The guitars are being sent to an aux reverb track, which has a high-pass filter set at 284Hz on it. After the filter, the guitars hit a delay with 23.75ms of delay and a feedback of 14%. This then feeds the actual reverb, which is McDSPs Revolver, set to an amp spring reverb setting. The vocals are also sent to a reverb track, featuring the same signal path, but with a vocal plate setting on the reverb. The short delay before the reverb opens up the signal a bit, allowing for the reverb to sit nice in the mix without overpowering the main signal. Little trick I learned from Al Schmitt. Everything is then routed to a master subgroup track, which has McDSPs Analog Channel to simulate hitting tape. I have it set to model an Ampex tape machine, with the signal going in hot to have about 3dB of gain reduction, just to tie everything together. From there, into another 1176 plug-in for just a little bit more glue (3dB again, with a 4:1 ratio). Sent that to an audio track for an internal layback, and then added McDSPs ML4 Limiter to boost the level. Added dither and bounced it out.

Any questions or comments, just let me know!
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Hey UG. Just finished recording a demo for an Alt. Rock band. The drums were recorded with only one overhead and a mic in the (16 inch!) kick drum. So I feel like that area seems to be suffering the most, but tell me what you guys think of the mix and where you think I could improve. Also, I tried to go very easy on the compression as to preserve a lot of the band's natural dynamics. Not sure if maybe I should've used more.

It's the fourth one down, called "You, Me, and the Apple Tree"
http://www.facebook.com/Verbosa?sk=app_178091127385

thnx
Quote by curlyhead_P
Hey UG. Just finished recording a demo for an Alt. Rock band. The drums were recorded with only one overhead and a mic in the (16 inch!) kick drum. So I feel like that area seems to be suffering the most, but tell me what you guys think of the mix and where you think I could improve. Also, I tried to go very easy on the compression as to preserve a lot of the band's natural dynamics. Not sure if maybe I should've used more.

It's the fourth one down, called "You, Me, and the Apple Tree"
http://www.facebook.com/Verbosa?sk=app_178091127385

thnx

This is actually quite impressive, especially for only 2 mics on the drums.

I'd try and mix some samples with the kick drum to make it stand out more, since that's really where your track is lacking.

Overall, this is pretty great. The drums could've done better with more mics, but I like how they mix into the rest of the song. Makes the overall feel of the song really ambient. It's got a cool vibe for sure.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Hey what's up guys? Just freshly made my Studio's FB page. I have some tracks up on Reverb Nation's "Band profile" section on my page. Check it out and give me some feed back, or tips? Good or bad always welcomed. Thanks ahead of time. c4c www.facebook.com/fmrstudiosca
Quote by OfCourseNot
My biggest issue with it is that the guitar is pushing the tempo and it doesn't end quite on the beat. Besides that, I'd take a some low mids out of the room mic for the drums, because the kick and snare (mainly the kick) are a little boxy/boomy. Some more high end on the kick to add attack, maybe even some on the snare and I think that would sound pretty good.

Thanks man. I'm sure you're probably talking about the verses, and yea I know I need to go back and record them again. I kind of rushed through it just because I was more focused on mixing and it was just a simple song. I'll try what you suggested with the drums when I get back in town. What I'm looking for in the kick is for it to have a good hit when played through a good system. I'm not big on the low bass, hip hop style. But I love when I put in a rock/metal/whatever cd and it feels like the kick is beating the shit out of you haha. As far as the snare, I want something real tight and snappy. I've just always loved a tight snare sound.

Again, thanks for the input and I'll continue to work on it.
Quote by robschmit
here is a 30 second intro for a song that im working on. I figured Id get others advice on this so far...

www.soundcloud.com/robschmit/intro

Needs a low pass on the guitars, it'll help it blend in better, right now the guitars sound thin, and the highs stick out like a sore thumb.

Take a listen to this one guys, decided to load my Squier with my BKP Trilogy Suites, mainly one of them in the bridge position. Dirt is my LiquidDrive that I built, without a boost on it...forgive my bass playing...I don't know what my fingers where doing. Has that classic strat sound, bity as a mofo though, the 1 meg volume pot doesn't seem to be helping the situation at all.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play1084879
Hey guys was wondering if I get some opinions and tips on how to improve my first mix I have ever done (that is more than just guitars). Still no vocals in it though as I haven't had time between work and band practises.

I used a Peavey valveking head mic'd up with a Shure SM58beta into Reaper. Drums were done via midi and Addictive drums and the Bass was 4Front bass emulator vst and midi.

The track is titled First mix on my profile page. Any suggestions on how to improve it etc would be greatly appreciated
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Right, I'm having serious second thoughts about posting this on here, too many good musicians here for me to be cavorting with

Anyway, I've been asked to do a track on a CD for some mates, so last night I started to think about things.

Total rubbish at the moment, and they sound exactly what they are ..... done in about 1/2 hour up in the bedroom. But before I throw myself headstrong into getting it done at the weekend (football's cancelled 'cus of the snow) I was just posting to get the vibe of what route I should maybe go down.

I've done 2 versions of the song y'see

1) http://soundcloud.com/tim-summers/mp3-test This was going to be the way that I was going to do it, then I kinda got a bit bored and moved to this:

2) http://soundcloud.com/tim-summers/funky-time-for-heroes. This only is just over a minute as it wasn't planned and I was going out last night.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm expecting to get out of posting this on this thread, as I'm sure that most of you will have, within the first 10 seconds, a list as long as your arm about what's wrong with it, but it would be nice if someone were to say something along the lines of:

If that were me I'd ..............

I don't have the equipment to do anything major. It was me, my guitar, my iPhone, and reaper.

Ahhh, sod it, I'm going to post this anyway ........ here goes:
Quote by Fridge101
Hey guys was wondering if I get some opinions and tips on how to improve my first mix I have ever done (that is more than just guitars). Still no vocals in it though as I haven't had time between work and band practises.

I used a Peavey valveking head mic'd up with a Shure SM58beta into Reaper. Drums were done via midi and Addictive drums and the Bass was 4Front bass emulator vst and midi.

The track is titled First mix on my profile page. Any suggestions on how to improve it etc would be greatly appreciated

It really depends on what kinda sound your going for. The song writing screams metalcore/melodic hardcore but the sound is rock. Is this what you're trying to go for?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
It really depends on what kinda sound your going for. The song writing screams metalcore/melodic hardcore but the sound is rock. Is this what you're trying to go for?

I was trying to go for more of a Popcore/easycore type sound I guess is its best description. Kinda like A Day To Remember or Me vs. Hero? But not exact. I dont wanna copy a band but somewhere in that vein of sound
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
The standard amp for the Easycore kinda sound is the Orange Rockverb if I'm not mistaken. I honestly don't know much about the Valvekings but I always thought they were more a blues/crunch amp that anything very high gain. The guitar sound isn't really "hardcore" enough as far as I can tell.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Feb 10, 2012,
Thanks for the input man I've managed to get some fairly good tones out of it in recording sessions using an overdrive etc. I'm going to re-record the guitars and see what else i can to make them more pronounced outside of a mid range boost
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Quote by xFilth
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6017642/Obsidia%200.1.mp3

I don't really think the guitar tones are spot on yet, but what do you think?

It's a cool tone, but it depends what your going for. There is an awful lot of low end there and I could perhaps argue that it's a bit flat. Needs a bit of sparkle.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Feb 11, 2012,
I didn't see this thread at first and already posted the song in its own thread, my mistake. Anyway, here's one of the songs from my album that I just finished. Any thoughts on the mix/how to improve future mixes from here?
http://soundcloud.com/oske7/images-the-faceless

Guitars amped through pod farm, except for the leads at the end - those were Eleven LE.
Unfortunately with no access to a 5 string bass, the bass in this is midi. I didn't want to do that, but I made it the best I could.
Drums programmed in superior drummer - toms with the avatar kit, snare/kick/cymbals with the metal foundry kit.
Vocals are all layered a decent amount.
All the reverbs/delays were processed through aux tracks.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any pointers! And of course, c4c
Write the music you want to hear.
Quote by ChemicalFire
It's a cool tone, but it depends what your going for. There is an awful lot of low end there and I could perhaps argue that it's a bit flat. Needs a bit of sparkle.

Thanks man! I just updated the mix - what do you think of it as a whole?
Last edited by xFilth at Feb 12, 2012,
So I recorded this, thoughts?

It's not really mixed, I mean, I only have some cheap Dell speakers so I apologise. I still tried with some tweaking. I used Garageband as well for reference, it repeats but that's expected since it's not meant to be an instrumental, there is also a solo towards the end so thoughts on that would be good as well.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Last edited by Rubixcuba at Feb 13, 2012,
It sounds pretty good tbh. I'd take some of the pick attack out personally, find it a little jarring. It's REALLY in need of some vocals though tbh.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by Odirunn

The rhythm guitars seem to overpower the lead guitar, mainly in terms of volume. They actually overpower everything. The kick isn't coming through to well in comparison to the snare as well. The tones sound great though! I like what you did with the panning for the guitars, very cool.
Did you high pass most of the tracks? If you didn't, that might help the kick come through better. If you did, maybe a little bit more compression on the kick.
The end seemed abrupt. It might benefit if you let it get to silence before cutting it.

EDIT:
Here is a song I just finished working on. Don't Wake Me
I did not do the tracking, just the mixing. Everything has a signal path of a subtractive EQ, light compression (about 3dB gain reduction), and additive EQ. Each instrument is then routed to a normal subgroup and a subgroup for parallel compression. Those are then mixed together to a single subgroup. I can go into more detail about the processing and provide screenshots if anyone is interested!
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Last edited by TasianSensation at Feb 13, 2012,
Quote by tehbeatnik
Trying to figure out how to mix a mic'd guitar cabinet...a VST bass and Superior Drummer 2.0.

http://soundcloud.com/paulcline-2/second-master

Not sure why the mp3 sounds like it's under water.

Sounds like there's too much low end on the guitars. I know it's supposed to be heavy, but you could probably benefit from taking out some of that low end. Let the bass do it's job and not compete with the guitars. High-pass the guitars at around 140Hz or so, then add a small boost at 150Hz (very small), just to keep the low end accent there. Then on the bass, do a cut at about 150Hz so it doesn't compete with the guitars.
The hi-hat is extremely overpowering, and doesn't gel with the rest of the drums in terms of volume. Definitely bring it down to blend it better. The guitar tone (other than too much low end) sounds really good. Seems like the perfect amount of gain and whatnot. Just remember that the guitars should not be competing with the bass for the low end too much.
Call me Michael...

Mixing

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Excellent feedback, Tasian. After listening to it again this morning and it is very evident that the guitars are taking up way too much space on the low end, both bass and mids. I'll post an updated mix once I get a chance to tinker with it.
Twitter
Soundcloud

ESP LTD EC-500
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Krankenstein 4x12 Cabinet
Alesis M-EQ 230
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby GC95
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Here's another mix I just did.

Bridge Captain

Recording:
Recording the Acoustic Guitar and 12-String with a Neumann TLM49 at the 12th fret angled at the sound hole and supplemented by a Lauten Oceanus tube mic for the room. Both of those were ran through a NEVE VR console for the preamps, then straight into Pro Tools. The Electric Guitar was a Spider III and Squire, miked with an SM57, run through the NEVE board and into Pro Tools. The Vocals were a Blue Mic Baby Bottle run through either a Chandler TG2 preamp or the NEVE console, then an 1176 compressor, then into Pro Tools. All the Vocals were doubled during tracking.

Mixing:
Each track had a signal path of Subtractive EQ and Filters with the Digi III EQ, a McDSP Compressor Bank with 3-5dB gain reduction, and Additive EQ with the Digi III EQ. Guitars were routed to two Guitar Subgroups, one with no compression and one with an 1176 plug-in slammed. Both had high-pass filters at about 100Hz. Those channels were then blended together. The same was done with the Vocals. Everything was also sent to a Reverb Aux, using Revolver from McDSP. I'm pretty sure I used a vocal plate setting on everything. There was also a short, 17ms or so delay with 14% feedback before the reverb to open it up a bit. Everything was summed to a Sub Group Master track, with a little bit of EQ, then Analog Channel from McDSP set to emulate an Ampex tape machine.

Mastering:
To master this, I took the printed mix and routed it to an aux track, then routed it to an audio track. The Aux track was to be able to print the compressors that I used for the master. Since I don't have a multi-band compressor, I set up 5 additional auxes with filters to feed the side-chain input of 5 compressors on the original aux track. That way, I could get compression on just the lows, low mids, mids, high mids, or highs. That then hit an ML4 limiter, and it was done!

Let me know if you guys have any questions or want some screenshots of Pro Tools!

Also, if anyone has feedback on Don't Wake Me, also on my SoundCloud, that'd be great!
Call me Michael...

Mixing

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62729443/Tone%20Test%20DFH.wav
Short mix i threw together from a few old raw tracks I found, so excuse the sloppy playing. I can immediately tell the low end is dominating but I'm not sure how to fix this. Also, I haven't done any mixing on the drums because I don't know how to mix specific parts of EZ drummer (cutting different frequencies on snare, bass drum etc). Any advice?
Quote by TechIndustrial
I can immediately tell the low end is dominating but I'm not sure how to fix this.

High pass your tracks to prevent low end from building up.

Quote by TechIndustrial

Also, I haven't done any mixing on the drums because I don't know how to mix specific parts of EZ drummer (cutting different frequencies on snare, bass drum etc). Any advice?

Insert it as a VST instrument instead of just one track.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I already posted this in another section, but I'd like to talk about the mix.
After countless tests I came up with a decent (I hope) mix, but not perfect.

Drums: EZdrummer
Guitars: Jackson Dinky/Stratocaster + GuitarRig 4
Keyboard: Korg M1
DAW: Reaper

I'd like to know what you think about and if you have advices to get a better result, thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9bKQLnGEhg
Please ignore the sloppy playing. What can i improve in this mix?

http://www.soundcloud.com/razorx1

Drums and bass are programmed.

Amp: Amplitube 3 - JCM 800 model
Drums: Steven Slate Drums, i used a preset, im a newbie to mixing drums =x
Bass: Trillian bass VST
Quote by raz1289
Please ignore the sloppy playing. What can i improve in this mix?

http://www.soundcloud.com/razorx1

Drums and bass are programmed.

Amp: Amplitube 3 - JCM 800 model
Drums: Steven Slate Drums, i used a preset, im a newbie to mixing drums =x
Bass: Trillian bass VST

I won't really comment on the drums and bass since they were programmed, but they do sound good. Drums sound a little heavy on the reverb and the bass doesn't have much presence in my opinion.

For the guitars, one thing that stands out right away is the thinness. They sound really, really, thin. Too much treble, not enough bass. I would change the EQ on the guitars a little bit, make them a little beefier. I want to say they sound like razors right now. The amount of gain is nice though.

You have a really good mix, volume wise. The whole thing does seem to be lacking in the low end though. Other than that, it's pretty good!

Mind critiquing one of mine? Preferably Don't Wake Me, but Bridge Captain would be nice too.
SoundCloud Link
Call me Michael...

Mixing

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Quote by Armhan
I already posted this in another section, but I'd like to talk about the mix.
After countless tests I came up with a decent (I hope) mix, but not perfect.

Drums: EZdrummer
Guitars: Jackson Dinky/Stratocaster + GuitarRig 4
Keyboard: Korg M1
DAW: Reaper

I'd like to know what you think about and if you have advices to get a better result, thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9bKQLnGEhg

The drums seem a bit overpowering to me. The melody/lead guitar just isn't quite loud enough or cutting through enough. The rhythm guitar could also bit just a tad louder.
The low end sounds really nice, not muddy at all. It could maybe be a bit more powerful though. Other than that, it's a pretty good mix!
Call me Michael...

Mixing

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Thank for the comment

The melody/lead guitar just isn't quite loud enough or cutting through enough.

When I was mixing I thought it was too loud... O_o
Do you think I should raise the Lead Guitar vol?
Maybe try changing the EQ on it instead. It did sound loud enough at some parts, so it was probably some frequency masking that made it not cut through.
Call me Michael...

Mixing

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
http://soundcloud.com/auebelhoer/mix

Hello everyone, I'm just getting into recording/mixing/etc.. here is my latest mix, I did all guitars with pod farm and programmed the drums with EZ drummer cymbals and a couple steven slate samples. I recorded vocals with a blue bird condenser just going direct in then put some eq and compression. I feel like I'm doing everything like.. not how you're supposed to.

I HAVE 1 PROBLEM!!!!

When I render my mix down to an mp3, it is SO MUCH QUIETER in volume than any professional song, it sounds like it's lacking bass and everything.. idk, tell me what ya think please!

Last edited by addyT at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by TasianSensation
Maybe try changing the EQ on it instead. It did sound loud enough at some parts, so it was probably some frequency masking that made it not cut through.

Thanks!
Quote by addyT

I HAVE 1 PROBLEM!!!!

When I render my mix down to an mp3, it is SO MUCH QUIETER in volume than any professional song, it sounds like it's lacking bass and everything.. idk, tell me what ya think please!

Look for some teaching resources on mastering. Modern tracks are mastered within an inch of their life to squash all the dynamics out of the track, making it louder. It makes it seem more "powerful" but in reality makes the quiet bits as loud as the loud bits.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/Dragon%20Thrash.mp3

Got any suggestions?

This is a guitar amp mod I do for the Randall MTS series. Just showing off the tones.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X