Page 5 of 31
Could just be me, but I'm pretty sure that the snare is clipping.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by kylendm
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/Dragon%20Thrash.mp3

Got any suggestions?

This is a guitar amp mod I do for the Randall MTS series. Just showing off the tones.

Sounds great imo.

Except

Quote by ChemicalFire
Could just be me, but I'm pretty sure that the snare is clipping.

I'm not sure if it's clipping, but I do think it could do with being just a little lower.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
If anyone fancies it, putting the finishing touches to the tracks on my band's upcoming album and looking for a small handful of people willing to listen to a few tracks and help the final quality-control process etc. as well as it possibly reassuring me that I am overly-pedantic and don't need to stress so much about how it will be received in reviews etc.

Don't have to judge it on musical quality, though feel free to do so in addition to a mix crit if you want.

To let people know what you're getting yourself into (in case you really can't stand this sort of thing ) here's a link to the opening track: Click here!

Thanks in advance for anyone who is able to help out - maybe even get an honourable mention in the CD booklet if I'm feeling generous!

Edit: Oh, and should be pretty obvious, but we're going for the 'modern twist on classic metal' sound.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
If anyone fancies it, putting the finishing touches to the tracks on my band's upcoming album and looking for a small handful of people willing to listen to a few tracks and help the final quality-control process etc. as well as it possibly reassuring me that I am overly-pedantic and don't need to stress so much about how it will be received in reviews etc.

Don't have to judge it on musical quality, though feel free to do so in addition to a mix crit if you want.

To let people know what you're getting yourself into (in case you really can't stand this sort of thing ) here's a link to the opening track: Click here!

Thanks in advance for anyone who is able to help out - maybe even get an honourable mention in the CD booklet if I'm feeling generous!

Edit: Oh, and should be pretty obvious, but we're going for the 'modern twist on classic metal' sound.

I'll take a listen. Is the high note vocal thing at 0:24 a loop in the opening track btw?
----

Once I catch up with my school work I am gonna try to comment on more people who post stuff in this thread.
Last edited by FireHawk at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by FireHawk
I'll take a listen. Is the high note vocal thing at 0:24 a loop in the opening track btw?
----

Once I catch up with my school work I am gonna try to comment on more people who post stuff in this thread.

Not sure I'm following... a loop as in did I cut a section of vocal and loop it, or as in something else? All the vocal tracks are the original takes, without any looping or autotuning, maybe there's something else going on that sounds off? If you can figure it out lemme know though, so I can fix it - may not show up on my speakers so well

Edit: Could be his vibrato? He has a fairly wide vibrato sometimes. Oh, and cheers for taking the time to listen
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Not sure I'm following... a loop as in did I cut a section of vocal and loop it, or as in something else? All the vocal tracks are the original takes, without any looping or autotuning, maybe there's something else going on that sounds off? If you can figure it out lemme know though, so I can fix it - may not show up on my speakers so well

Edit: Could be his vibrato? He has a fairly wide vibrato sometimes. Oh, and cheers for taking the time to listen

He has a nice vibrato is what it is. I thought maybe you cut part of it looped it. Cause he bounces back and forth amazingly (if that makes sense).
Quote by FireHawk
He has a nice vibrato is what it is. I thought maybe you cut part of it looped it. Cause he bounces back and forth amazingly (if that makes sense).

Ah, haha. Fair enough, but I've tried to be as pure as possible in terms of the recording and mixing process, as I don't really like how most vocals are so tuned they lose the singer's nuances these days so made a point of not editing the vocals much at all or using any pitch correction whatsoever to (hopefully) show that great singers do still exist, and we certainly feel he's a great singer even if noone else were to agree - luckily though, most people we play too tend to approve so far
Quote by Odirunn
Hi folks, new mix.

Mean deathcore/beatdown:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/Ophion-Overkill.mp3

They've got one more song to record with me and their EP will be done and out sometime this spring. Any input on the mix would be great as I'll be touching everything up for the final mix/master for the CD release, etc.

Not my style of music, so it's hard for me to say much about a lot of things without being a little biased, but mix is pretty clear for that style. My main issue was the crash cymbal on the right side (of stereo field) from about 00:8 to 00:40... I'm guessing drums are programmed or sample augmented, but this one cymbal is quite noticeably programmed (or sounds it) as it has exactly the same 'chirpy' attack that was a little grating. If you can alternate between several similar samples with less of that attack or maybe cut the chirpy noise out more often than not, I think it would add a lot more realism to that part.

Rest is pretty tight though
Quote by Odirunn
Hi folks, new mix.

Mean deathcore/beatdown:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/Ophion-Overkill.mp3

They've got one more song to record with me and their EP will be done and out sometime this spring. Any input on the mix would be great as I'll be touching everything up for the final mix/master for the CD release, etc.

The kick, or maybe it's the bass synced with it, seems to sound really weird on the beginning chugs of the song. There's too much lowend/low mids or something. Can't quite put my finger on it, but once the second part comes in at :41, the problem doesn't seem to be there anymore. The wide stereo separation here makes it sound really disconnected from the guitars to me, too.

Other than that, pretty good. I think the cymbals are probably a bit too loud though, the guitar kind of gets buried in the mix in places.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by TasianSensation
Anybody care to crit a mix for me? Either of the two on my SoundCloud.

www.soundcloud.com/michael-chiang-sound

Everything seems to reverby on the first one and sometimes the reverb changes. Almost like you recorded parts in a different room. The guitar comes in at like 1:30 mixes up the mix a lot. Seems to have to much low end.

On the second one seems like it was low passed to remove high end. Sound very unnatural. This one also seems low fi like a 96kbps MP3. Muddy as well.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Hey guys.

I just got two mics and this is my first stero mic'd recording.

Can I have some feedback please? It's a cover, but once I know I'm doing it right I'll be uploading originals very soon.

http://soundcloud.com/michaeloneilmusic/satellite-of-love-lou-reed

C4C as always.

I am not in optimal listening conditions currently but the whole thing seems panned to the left to far, but mix wise everything else sounds good.

----

If anyone wouldn't mine checking my guitar tones on a section of this song. The main thing I am worried about is the guitar playing tight enough for these bent notes? (Please try to ignore the drums as they need some velocities changed).

http://soundcloud.com/jstorie/liar-new-guitars/s-yJnpa

(Mixing Info Found In Description At Link)

C4C on mixing
Last edited by FireHawk at Mar 7, 2012,
Quote by FireHawk

I am not in optimal listening conditions currently but the whole thing seems panned to the left to far, but mix wise everything else sounds good.

----

If anyone wouldn't mine checking my guitar tones on a section of this song. The main thing I am worried about is the guitar playing tight enough for these bent notes? (Please try to ignore the drums as they need some velocities changed).

http://soundcloud.com/jstorie/liar-new-guitars/s-yJnpa

(Mixing Info Found In Description At Link)

C4C on mixing

Hey man. The song was stereo mic'd so maybe thats why it sounds heavy left? it sounds fine to me, its a bit more trebley in the left ear but the speakers I'm using aren't monitors. Except that though, it was all good? no sibilance?

Also I checked out your clip. You've nothing to worry about, once the drums are sorted that's going to sound mega.
Quote by rocknrollstar
Hey man. The song was stereo mic'd so maybe thats why it sounds heavy left? it sounds fine to me, its a bit more trebley in the left ear but the speakers I'm using aren't monitors. Except that though, it was all good? no sibilance?

i thought it sounded good
Quote by FireHawk
Everything seems to reverby on the first one and sometimes the reverb changes. Almost like you recorded parts in a different room. The guitar comes in at like 1:30 mixes up the mix a lot. Seems to have to much low end.

On the second one seems like it was low passed to remove high end. Sound very unnatural. This one also seems low fi like a 96kbps MP3. Muddy as well.

For the first song...
All the parts were recorded in the same room, with two mics for the guitars and one for the vocals. Not sure where the reverb change or different room sound is coming from... As for the low end, I'm puzzled by that as well. I used a HPF on all the tracks and the master fader set to at least 100Hz. Good to know how it translates on someone else's system though.

Second song...
I believe I did use a LPF on a few of the tracks, but not on everything. It's definitely not a lo-fi recording either. Recorded at 88.2kHz sample rate with 24-bit bit depth. The file I uploaded to SoundCloud was the WAV file from the print track in Pro Tools. For the mud, I used a HPF set to at least 60Hz on everything, so I'm not sure where it's coming from. Any ideas on how to fix it?
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Quote by FireHawk
i thought it sounded good

Thanks man.

It's getting some decent feedback elsewhere as well. Thank you for your time. Anything you want me to listen to in return again?
anybody care to crit my mix of calvin harris - i'm not alone?
i think it's pretty well done, but there's a bit lacking i think? if anyone can give some tips that would be lovely. and i realize that it clips a teeny bit... oops hahaha
http://soundcloud.com/commonality/calvin-harris-im-not-alone
EDIT:also, my remix of Tim Berg's Bromance.
http://soundcloud.com/commonality/tim-berg-bromance-remix
Last edited by LolCatGuitar at Mar 11, 2012,
Hello! What do people think of this : Recording of HT5, Suhr Riot, EH Big Muff, Diamond Compressor, TC Electronics Corona Chorus/ Flashback Delay, Ibanez Apex 2 with Bareknuckle Painkiller bridge and Holydiver neck.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Chargrill3d/music/all/play1093103

By the way that's cool recording LOLCat - what synths do you use? One criticism is that white noisey sound that appears when the main beat kicks in - I'm assuming those are the cymbals, have you used reverb on them or can you lessen their decay a bit.
Last edited by Chargrill3d at Mar 11, 2012,
I am trying to complete the recording of my original song this weekend. I've put a ton of working into writing the song and I really don't want the mix to bring it down.

I need anybody, whether you know anything about mixing or not, to listen to my current 'demo' and comment. Anything sound weird or off? If you can, suggesting ways to fix things are quite helpful as well.

Part Hero by Tmusician

This is just the first section, it has bass guitar and electric guitars (Guitar Rig 5), drums (Presonus Firestudio, 8-track), and vocals (Presonus Firestudio) all recorded into Reaper. The only 'FX' I've used are compression and EQ, gates on some drum mics, and reverb on the vocals. I only recorded one line of vocals because I couldn't get it to sound good, hopefully someone can help me with that.
Hey guys, looking for some feedback on my mix here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqezXBgh5Lc

Used a Peavey 6505 head, Marshall 1960AV cab with an SM57 micing.

Recorded 2 tracks panned 100% L and R, and did a bit of EQing.

Bass was recorded DI and also EQ'd slightly.

Thanks.
Quote by Random3

Thanks.

Sounds pretty good overall, very smooth, but to me it lacks that high end punch, maybe it's compressed too much. The leads sound pretty good punch wise, just the rhythm guitars need more punch.

Now lets step it down a notch to a Valveking

Recorded DI out of my DAG-150 attenuator, double tracked, gain at 11 oclock. Using my 7 string guitar and a TS9 boost. Drums suck, but it's free.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play1094197
Yaww brawwwwwwws!

http://soundcloud.com/joneh/mellow

Another original by me! Guitars with a POD HD500 and drums just sampled from terrible samples ripped over the interwebz. All critique is welcome! Both from the mixing and songwriting.

Thanks!
-Jonathan
^ my only real issue is that were i to post in here, i feel i couldn't give much more than "this is too loud or too muddy" basically just vague answers to a bigger question, like "why is it too loud, is it transients? is it just too loud? does it need to be turned down or compressed?" these are the things i'm kinda grey on myself, i'm still working on the mixing thing myself.
Quote by ethan_hanus
You guys need to start giving some input into other peoples mixes, mainly the one above you cause nobody is giving advice, just asking.

Agreed.

Quote by DanielShaw123
To be honest I think one thread for my "crit my mix" is a stupid idea. Everyone would get more crit if they could make a specific thread for it.

No, that just bogs the forum down with spam threads that needn't be there. The whole point was that the people who want mixes critiquing should participate in the forums more if they want any help.

Quote by z4twenny
^ my only real issue is that were i to post in here, i feel i couldn't give much more than "this is too loud or too muddy" basically just vague answers to a bigger question, like "why is it too loud, is it transients? is it just too loud? does it need to be turned down or compressed?" these are the things i'm kinda grey on myself, i'm still working on the mixing thing myself.

Dude, you shouldn't be concerned about whether you're 'qualified' enough to give subjective opinions - anyone posting serious material here (the kind being sent off to magazines, getting radio airplay etc.) would be happy to hear from people at all tiers of the scale... after all, it's the average person that will make up the majority of the listening audience and they don't have ears trained to a similar level as a pro engineer etc. Even if you're only noticing things like a random, unwanted noise at ____ point in song, or something noticeably fading out/cutting in too early.

Now for my part

Just sent the album off to a few people (magazines, a label and the place pressing the first run of CD's etc.) and thought I'd see what people make of a track from the final master. Mixed and mastered by me, and the album itself was self-produced by us though we tracked vocals with a friend (Simon from SM Studios in Coventry, UK) and another friend of mine sort-of co-produced the drum tracking as well as giving lots of valuable advice in pre-production. All instruments are real, though obviously you should hear the kick, snare and toms make use of sample augmentation (the original hit is the louder element of each though).

If anyone's interested in the music, album comes out very soon (looking at first week of April at the moment) and will be available through the website/facebook (below), iTunes or at gigs... though I doubt many of you live in the UK to actually get to a gig and buy one

Any major issues, too late to change now, but I'm happy with it anyway and so are the people who've listened so far.

Tl;dr = Crit Please ===> Disarm Goliath - Propaganda (Invasion of Thought)

Thanks in advance; will be crit'ing some people above's mixes when I return from the shower

Edit: Ignore the i Tunes (haha, beat it this time) link in my post... appears UG now has software that adds links to product/company names
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Mar 24, 2012,
Quote by fc89konkari
Yaww brawwwwwwws!

http://soundcloud.com/joneh/mellow

Another original by me! Guitars with a POD HD500 and drums just sampled from terrible samples ripped over the interwebz. All critique is welcome! Both from the mixing and songwriting.

Thanks!
-Jonathan

Some cool ides there, and considering you've classed it as djent (something I usually can't stand) I'd say that's quite a compliment from me Anyway, there's some pretty nice guitar tones on it, though some of the leads could do with being a tiny bit cleaner for my liking. Only real issues on this is the drums (you knew that) as the snare and hi-hats are quite out of place; and the bass really doesn't gel with the mix at all... it sticks out quite a bit, and in places is slightly behind the guitars/rhythm.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Sounds pretty good overall, very smooth, but to me it lacks that high end punch, maybe it's compressed too much. The leads sound pretty good punch wise, just the rhythm guitars need more punch.

Now lets step it down a notch to a Valveking

Recorded DI out of my DAG-150 attenuator, double tracked, gain at 11 oclock. Using my 7 string guitar and a TS9 boost. Drums suck, but it's free.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play1094197

Tight playing here, again not typically my thing but it's pretty good. The drums are a bit lifeless but I think that was the idea anyway (demo of some gear/a guitar tone) and it holds up fine. I'd suggest maybe a bit more presence on the guitars and roll off the low end a little if you were to use it in a busy metal mix (when vocals are there to compete with etc.) but otherwise it's a big, heavy tone

Quote by Random3

Thanks.

First impressions on hearing this are similar to what Ethan said... it's like the very high end has been chopped off. Guitars could do with a lot more presence, and the bass is completely lost in the mix for me :/ I think the guitars need to lose a lot of the low end (maybe a 18-24/dB per octave HPF at around 150-175Hz?) and the bass then needs to fill this space and lose some of its rumble.

Apart from this, the cymbals (particularly the hi-hats) are way too high in the mix, overpowering the rest of the rhythm. That's how it seems on my setup anyway.

Quote by Tmusician
I am trying to complete the recording of my original song this weekend. I've put a ton of working into writing the song and I really don't want the mix to bring it down.

I need anybody, whether you know anything about mixing or not, to listen to my current 'demo' and comment. Anything sound weird or off? If you can, suggesting ways to fix things are quite helpful as well.

Part Hero by Tmusician

This is just the first section, it has bass guitar and electric guitars (Guitar Rig 5), drums (Presonus Firestudio, 8-track), and vocals (Presonus Firestudio) all recorded into Reaper. The only 'FX' I've used are compression and EQ, gates on some drum mics, and reverb on the vocals. I only recorded one line of vocals because I couldn't get it to sound good, hopefully someone can help me with that.

Kick drum has way too much 'boom' in the low end, and not enough click/impact to actual make it stand out in a good way (instead it just kind of thumps away in the background like someone knocking on the wall because the music is too loud!). Other than that, guitars need to be louder, and maybe get boosted around 450Hz, and a narrow boost again for presence at 1.5-2kHz. Bass is inaudible and needs to be compressed a lot more to even out the volume of the notes, then make the bass louder in the mix and boost its low end. Snare could do with being a bit louder too, as cymbals are a bit loud.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Mar 24, 2012,
Yeah, maybe the intention was to get more people to participate, but it's not working. I guarantee more people would participate if you were allowed designated threads. I guess there would be lots of threads, but it's a forum site after all.
Hey guys, I've put up a new recording on my profile page (http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ankthebank/music/all/play1096206)

It's HEART SKIPS A BEAT

Rough incomplete vocals - I'll record some better ones when I have the chance.

What do you think of levels of everything (please listen till the end as more instruments come in!)? I need advice on the mixing if possible

I think it sounds like a bit of a mess, help!!
Seanington, there's something a little bit weak sounding on the tri tones, mabye it's just undergained, but all in all it sounds better than some guitarists I've recorded. Also, dat nigel.
Let's party.
The thread seems to be doing much better but I have an idea that can hopefully keep it that way. If you want a critique of a mix of yours, you must critique another person's mix in your post as well. This way for every person there will be a review hopefully.
Quote by Tmusician
The thread seems to be doing much better but I have an idea that can hopefully keep it that way. If you want a critique of a mix of yours, you must critique another person's mix in your post as well. This way for every person there will be a review hopefully.

I was actually thinking the same thing the other day and forgot to mention it, I agree it is a great idea to prevent people popping in and not contributing.
Can somebody review my new mix of an original song?
http://soundcloud.com/tmusician/hero

My Review:
Quote by ankthebank
Hey guys, I've put up a new recording on my profile page (http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ankthebank/music/all/play1096206)

It's HEART SKIPS A BEAT

Rough incomplete vocals - I'll record some better ones when I have the chance.

What do you think of levels of everything (please listen till the end as more instruments come in!)? I need advice on the mixing if possible

I think it sounds like a bit of a mess, help!!

Vocals all sound good, and it really doesn't sound like much of a mess at all to me. All I would suggest is messing around with the lower end of the acoustic guitar, taking out a bit more.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Penn100/music/play1099689

Hey guys! In what way can I improve this mix? The sound I'm going for is modern metal, something along the lines of Soilwork. Needless to say, I'm pretty much a noob. What can I do to improve this mix?

(vocals will be added later, as well as better drumfills and a better guitar solo)
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
I'd drop the guitars and even the bass by atleast a few db. they are quite overpowering. Especially that clean guitar sound, it's just eating up way too many frequencies. that should help with the balance between guitars and drums.

guitar tone is wierd.

You have some really cool phrasing in your playing though, the clean part was easily the most interesting - for me.

Drums sound like superior drummer stock, trying doing a bit more mixing, or at-least a different snare.

MY TRACK

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1600418/Components/Components%20-%20Indistinguishable%20-%20cat%20glitch.mp3

Sampled a cat meowing, thats what the distorted stuttery sound is.
da best.
Last edited by seanington at Apr 9, 2012,