I have a Laney LC30 that I'm not entirely satisfied with for certain tones.

Basically, it's a bit soft and mellow i the lead channel. It works great for cleans, and dirty blues and even some rockier stuff. But once I step into metal territory it starts to feel a bit lackluster.

I just want to get a rocking, aggressive rhythm tone and a soaring liquidy lead tone for solos. Any options that involve cramming a Mesa Boogie MkIIC+ into my amp for under $300 are appreciated. Not expected, but appreciated.
Get a TS808 Tubescreamer. It'll tighten your tone and boost it to make it heavier.
Or you could get a Wampler SLOstortion. It's an awesome pedal thats meant to have distortion with the Soldano Super Lead Overdrive circuit. Itll EASILY get you a metal tone and everything else from hard blues to death metal.
try some overdrive pedal (like the ts808 mentioned before) and an equalizer.
or maybe a distortion pedal like the boss ds1.
What?
I have a Boss OS2. It just turns the lead channel into a fizzy mess. :/ Not touching anything that is both boss and distortion or overdrive related. In fact, preferably no Boss pedals at all.

I was definitely thinking of an EQ though, along with probably a TS808 clone or something.
i'm on board with the tube screamers. the 808 is awesome but the TS9 is great as well, and not as expensive. whenever i recommend TS9s i always mention modding them, a lot of people send TS9s out to get the classic 808 spec, both analog man and keeley modded TS pedals are sweet, but any form of a TS is a great way to go.

Another great pedal to check out is the OCD by fulltone, haven't used one on my own rig but they are really nice
I a/b'ed a ts9 and a green rhino OD and they sounded the same except that the rhino has a bass and mid boost and cut knob.

Same price as the ts9 but the bass boost really does thicken your sound........just another option.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
The problem with tubescreamers is that they cut your bass quite a lot. I'll second the green rhino.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
green rhino would be my pick.

the OCD doesn't do that great at boosting, at least has not on my rig for the last few years. the only thing that i had good luck using with it as far as boosting was my renegade. you likely would want something a little more transparent.

i like the 808's better it may be psychological but they sound better, but the difference is not that drastic comparing both models.

but green rhino FTW.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by irnmadn88

Yes, but the earlier version of it. No gain control on the clean channel among other things.

Quote by Cathbard
The problem with tubescreamers is that they cut your bass quite a lot. I'll second the green rhino.

Honestly, I have an assload of bass at the moment. I have the bass dialed to 1. It is just WAY to bassy. The treble is turned up to near full as well. :/ I've never been one to have knobs at their extremes.

Come to think of it, this could be the sign of another problem, couldn't it. :/

Quote by trashedlostfdup
green rhino would be my pick.

the OCD doesn't do that great at boosting, at least has not on my rig for the last few years. the only thing that i had good luck using with it as far as boosting was my renegade. you likely would want something a little more transparent.

i like the 808's better it may be psychological but they sound better, but the difference is not that drastic comparing both models.

but green rhino FTW.

Totally checking out this Green Rhino!
How old are your tubes?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
As I said in my old thread, they literally chilled with the dinosaurs. But I AM getting those replaced.

Speaking of which, will I need to do anything like Tube biasing or something. I have literally no idea what that is about.

And, also, how do I know WHICH tubes to get? I know I have EL84s... But there seem to be so many types! And I don't even KNOW what type the others are.
Last edited by kLinic at Jan 9, 2012,
It's cathode biased, no need to rebias anything.
Normally with EL84's I'd just say buy JJ but there have been rumours of poor quality control with their EL84's recently. Probably your best bet that will negate any QC issues is to buy them from groove tubes. GT do further testing and matching. The ones you want are GT-EL84-S. Those are the JJ's.
Change those first and then we can talk about preamp tubes later.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Do Groove Tubes even sell to Australia? I cannot find an option ANYWHERE on the site. :/ The dealer finder won't accept my Australian postcode obviously. :P So, er, what do I do from there?

EDIT: Also just realized you're the guy who does those tin amplifiers! Those things look absolutely amazing! If you ever made a MkIIC+ Clone in a tim tam tin and you would not stop hearing from me begging to buy it. :P
Last edited by kLinic at Jan 9, 2012,
I am sure you can get them somewhere. I've seen them in shops before. I've been buying my JJ EL84's from triodeelectronics when I buy my transformers and I haven't had a bad set yet. However, I don't know when they bought them and if the next lot will be as good.
Ebay may be your best bet:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GROOVE-TUBES-GT-EL84-S-POWER-TUBES-MATCHED-QUARTET-4-/360199961960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53dd973d68#ht_2886wt_1398

Thanks. There's no way I could fit a Mark IIC into a Tim Tam tin. It's hard enough to get a Champ into one. I doubt I could even fit one into a JD tin, there are some serious limits to what you can fit. Not sure about availability of transformers either. It's easy to get trannys for old Marshalls and Fenders. The next one will be an old Tweed Deluxe.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
I am sure you can get them somewhere. I've seen them in shops before. I've been buying my JJ EL84's from triodeelectronics when I buy my transformers and I haven't had a bad set yet. However, I don't know when they bought them and if the next lot will be as good.

Thanks. There's no way I could fit a Mark IIC into a Tim Tam tin. It's hard enough to get a Champ into one. I doubt I could even fit one into a JD tin, there are some serious limits to what you can fit. Not sure about availability of transformers either. It's easy to get trannys for old Marshalls and Fenders. The next one will be an old Tweed Deluxe.

I know, but a man could dream. Of course in my dream, not only do I get delicious tones, but I can reach into the tin to get a delicious snack in between songs. :/

I was sort of under the impression that you could only get those tubes direct from Groovetubes. Any chance local music stores could have them? I'll keep looking online anyway.
Check my edit. I added an Ebay link to a quartet of them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Check my edit. I added an Ebay link to a quartet of them.

It mentions soft overdrive distortion, is that something that I actually want? Or is it just a trait of EL84 tubes?
Well soft and hard refers to how loud you have to push it to distort. It actually refers to how "hard" the vacuum is. A soft tube will distort earlier - that's what you want isn't it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It would appear so. =D Well, I'll order those then. Thanks for your help and patience.
No probs. Once you get them installed we can start talking about preamp tubes. Until you see what effect new power tubes has it's pretty pointless to do anything else. Chances are that new EL84's are all it needs.
You have to sort out the amp as best as you can before you can begin to think about pedals.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Of course, it turns out that despite there being 4 sets available, the tubes are not available at all! My search continues!
You could just try a quad from where I've been getting mine. The last lot I bought wasn't that long ago and they were fine. With any luck they have good stocks and you'll be getting some from the same batch.
http://triodeelectronics.com/el84jjmq.html

Their postage is usually pretty honest. Their service has been pretty good too. They missed something in an order once (I place decent sized orders) and they sent me the missing part immediately, no cost, no questions asked. I'm sure that if there is a dodgey one they'd rectify it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 11, 2012,
It's cheaper then the other way at least. I suppose I'll give these guys a chance if you've had good luck with them.
Tubes arrived. Wow, that is quite a bit of a difference. Bass is much closer to being in control and the treble seems to actually be present now. All the same though, it still doesn't get as metal as I'd like without an OD pedal, and my OD pedal sucks.

Basically it's the same complaints as before, but it actually sounds good now. I just want it to sound better.

Green Rhino OD sound like the way to go?

I also wouldn't mind getting an EQ to shape the tone a bit more.
Green Rhinos are a fine pedal - a tubescreamer with more tone control.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well... I'll pay a visit to my local crappy guitar shop soon. And then order online. ._.

Still I am keen to try out an EQ pedal to shape my tone a bit à la the Mark V. Any suggestions? Or don't be an idiot and get the Green Rhino first?
An LC30 will never sound anything like a Mark V. You can get some really nice tones out of an LC30 but if you want a Mesa type tone you have entirely the wrong amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I see I phrased my post badly. I don't mean to make it sound like a Mark V, I just mean to get a similar FLEXIBILITY in EQING. Add in some high end sparkle while not making the treble too... Pointy... sounding as a example.
Ah, I see. Try an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'll see how it goes with that EQ and a (hopefully) a green rhino. Might have to make do with testing with a ts-808 though.

I've just been told that I will never get a metal tone out of this particular amp. ._.

I'd like to shape it a bit, but I quite like the sound I get out of it. Especially when I tried it with a nice tubescreamer clone.

Am I tone deaf? Or is it still capable of getting a kinda hi-gain tone with a boost?
Boost any tube amp enough and you can get a some type of high gain tone. If I put a big enough boost in front of my Champ I can pull off Black Sabbath.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification