Page 1 of 2
I bought a Jackson with a floyd rose, first thing I did was change the strings on it and when I got down to the G string I was tightening the allen key screw that locks the string in on the FR, and the ****ing screw head broke off leaving the threaded piece stuck inside it. The good news is its fastened in with brand new strings so its fine for now but how am I ever gonna get that piece of screw out to change the strings again? I shoulda known to be more careful, its a nice guitar but the hardware was a bit corroded because it wasnt kept in a case for most of its life. BTW this is my first guitar to have Seymour Duncan pups and a maple fretboard, this guitar rocks and it sounds ****ing sweeet.. but do I need to buy a whole new bridge now?

Neoclassical
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec Roadster
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Just go to someplace like Lowes or Home Depot and ask for screw extractor bits. This is a special drill bit. You put it in the drill, put the drill in reverse and run it very slow. The point on the bit is shaped in such a way that it bites into the old screw and torques it out.

http://homerepair.about.com/od/interiorhomerepair/ss/screw_extractor.htm
Thanks for the reply man, thing is the screw is sooo small Im not sure there would be an extractor bit that would fit it. Ill have to take a look. If there is Ill be impressed lol.
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
^^ Exactly. What a ****ing piss off I JUST bought the guitar lol. I reallly hope that I can get it out with an extractor.
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Extractors are made that are small enough for it. Might have to go to a real hardware store as opposed to retail places like Lowes, Menards, or Home Depot. Harbor Freight probably has them.

You are going to need a real drill for this and not some p.o.s Ryobi cordless or something like that. Buy, borrow, beg for one that actually plugs into the wall and has some torque behind it, and has variable speed gearing because you will need to go slow. This is something you need to one-shot. Get a mechanically-inclined friend to help if possible.
Ibanez SR1200E
Yeah man, Actually, thing is, it broke off leaving none of the screw exposed, this is going to be a bitch. I thought those extractors only worked on stripped screws? Itll be really hard to get at it with a drill without the fine tuner in the way.
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Quote by pachap
Extractors are made that are small enough for it. Might have to go to a real hardware store as opposed to retail places like Lowes, Menards, or Home Depot. Harbor Freight probably has them.

You are going to need a real drill for this and not some p.o.s Ryobi cordless or something like that. Buy, borrow, beg for one that actually plugs into the wall and has some torque behind it, and has variable speed gearing because you will need to go slow. This is something you need to one-shot. Get a mechanically-inclined friend to help if possible.

Hey thanks for your help man I will try this out and hopefully I dont **** it. Its such a sweet guitar Id like to have it working well. Ill buy new hardware for it after I get this resolved.
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Solder it back on. Then try removing it?
Never tried but seems like it may work.

this actualy seems like a good idea. you might want to spray it with liquid wrench/PB Blaster after you solder it and let it set for a few mins. But make sure you solder it first.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Way Cool JR.
It don't work like that on that Floyd, the fine tuner needs to push on the bolt to fine tune. There is nothing but the spring there to push on, that does nothing but support the bolt that should be there under the fine tuner. Now if it was an Edge 3 or similar I would agree with you, but then I wouldn't even be mentioning it in the first place.

Doesn't realy matter now I just noticed he said he replaced it with an OFR.

I'm not exactly sure what bridge is in the photo, but it had rocker arms under the fine tuners. The fine tuner presses on that arm which rocks and moves the saddle to make the adjustment. I replaced an old Ibanez Lo TRS II that was made like that not long ago.
Quote by Robbgnarly
this actualy seems like a good idea. you might want to spray it with liquid wrench/PB Blaster after you solder it and let it set for a few mins. But make sure you solder it first.

I'm not so sure this would work. There are a couple of issues with soldering it on. The solder may not stick to the bolt depending on what exactly it is made of. Also, solder is by no means a mechanical bond. It's meant to bridge an electrical connection not fix something in place. A little firm pressure on a solder joint is often plenty to break the joint. The other issue I foresee here is that trying to solder it on will probably result in 1) the head snapping right back off and 2) the solder flowing down into the threads of the bolt and really locking it into place. In other words it will probably bond it where you don't want it to and not where you do want it to.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
It don't work like that on that Floyd, the fine tuner needs to push on the bolt to fine tune. There is nothing but the spring there to push on, that does nothing but support the bolt that should be there under the fine tuner. Now if it was an Edge 3 or similar I would agree with you, but then I wouldn't even be mentioning it in the first place.

Doesn't realy matter now I just noticed he said he replaced it with an OFR.

Dude, what are you even trying to say? :P

I agree with poppameth, I would not try the soldering thing. My best bet for you would be to take it to a shop and let them deal with it. Might cost ya, but a new saddle + labour will be cheaper than having to buy a complete replacement bridge...
Buy a new saddle, it'd be more easy and probably cheaper than buying extractors and doing the work.
Quote by poppameth
I'm not so sure this would work. There are a couple of issues with soldering it on. The solder may not stick to the bolt depending on what exactly it is made of. Also, solder is by no means a mechanical bond. It's meant to bridge an electrical connection not fix something in place. A little firm pressure on a solder joint is often plenty to break the joint. The other issue I foresee here is that trying to solder it on will probably result in 1) the head snapping right back off and 2) the solder flowing down into the threads of the bolt and really locking it into place. In other words it will probably bond it where you don't want it to and not where you do want it to.

good point, I did not think of that. And I thought the bridge pictured was TS's at first and it had some of the post sticking out still. I thought it was worth a shot if he had solder and an iron. But yes with it being broke in side the threads a extrqctor would be best.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Way Less Cool Jr.

I am saying that, that particular bridge has to have the long string lock bolts on it to be able to have the fine tuners work. Someone replaced the long ones for short ones rendering the fine tuners useless. And yes I know some licensed Floyd variants have short lock bolts for the strings, but this is not one of them. I cant explain it in any more of a laymen term than I already have. I guess you guys haven't seen enough Floyd's or something.

And if the head is the only thing that broke off of the bolt like TS stated, the way I told him to fix it is the best way to do it.

Right, let me just tell you, in 'laymen's terms', you're wrong.
There's a little 'tongue' of metal coming from each individual bridge, going through the slots in the back of the bridge (under the L and NSE of the world 'Licensed', for example), ending right under the thumb screw fine-tuners.

'I guess you guys haven't seen enough Floyd's or something.'
Last edited by Y00p at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by RockGuitarist09
Buy a new saddle, it'd be more easy and probably cheaper than buying extractors and doing the work.

TS: I like this idea, but I'm a lazy ****.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
I bought the guitar used man, it was my drummers brothers, its been sitting in their basement for years not being used so the hardware is a bit corroded, but the guitar is mint otherwise.
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Thanks for all the replys dudes. As for the extractor kit, Im not sure its meant to be used on a screw with the head actually broken off. You can see from the pics in the link above that its not sharp at the end of the tool as I think its meant more for stripped screw heads. This one broke off completely leaving nothing exposed, and being such a small diameter I have no idea if it would even work. I guess its worth a shot and if not Ill just buy a new saddle for the G string? Im assuming changing a saddle is probably something I can do myself but aside from Ebay which Ive never used I have no idea where or how to get my hands on one. Ill check with my local guitar shop but Im sure they will try to rip me off and Ill tear him a new one lol. I would actually like to buy all new screws for it as they are all a bit rusted, especially the locking nut and the ones that broke off on the saddle. Im not overly experienced with FR bridges, Ive never taken them apart before but I have set them up before. The bridge is dipping a tiny bit low to the level of the guitar so Ill probably reset it once I get this saddle figured out.
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
if you can figure out if the saddels are the same as the lo-trsII trem from ibanez which is another licenced floyd id happly send you one in the mail
Wow halfj06 thank you man, thats really generous and awesome of you to do something like that. Ill do the research and I will find out if they are interchangable. Thanks again bro XD
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
no problem.. hit me up on pm with an email or a phone number and i could send you a pic if that would help
Quote by neoclassical85
... Ill just buy a new saddle for the G string? Im assuming changing a saddle is probably something I can do myself but aside from Ebay which Ive never used I have no idea where or how to get my hands on one...

I posted a link already...

http://www.allparts.com/Locking-Saddles-s/9.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=9&show=20&page=2

that should be what you need.

another place to try is http://fretsonthenet.com/ - this guys kinda specializes in used Jackson parts. but the site appears to be down today - it was up yesterday.

your bridge is a JT580LP. if you do buy a replacement saddle, be sure to buy one for the D/G strings because the saddles are radiused for the fret board. that means the E/E, A/B, and D/G saddles are slightly different heights. because of that, i would not even bother to try a saddle from an Ibanez trem as the radius is sure to be different.
P.S. you may have better luck asking on the forums at http://jcfonline.com - a Jackson specific site. The forums are very active over there so you should get an answer pretty quickly.
i frown upon your mistreating of said dk2m

i could never do that to mine
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
If you have a steady hand and some patience you could probably drill out that piece. You'd need a drill bit slightly smaller than the hole so that you don't damage the threads. Worse case is you'd damage the threads and have to replace the part anyway.
Get a dremel and a cut off wheel. You'll need to cut into the bridge a bit I would imagine but cut a line across the top of the screw. Use a flat head to turn it out.
Quote by skywizard17
Get a dremel and a cut off wheel. You'll need to cut into the bridge a bit I would imagine but cut a line across the top of the screw. Use a flat head to turn it out.

Thats a pretty bad plan bro. The drill idea is much better for the saddle.
Quote by EspTro
i frown upon your mistreating of said dk2m

i could never do that to mine

LoL dude I didn't mistreat my DK2M it just wasn't well taken care of before I got my hands on it so the hardware was corroded thus when I tightened the screw it was weak and broke off. I love all of my babies XD

Update: I managed to get my hands on a saddle piece from our local guitar shop, easy fix.
The intonation was sharp on all 6 strings and the bridge was dipping low in the back so i gave it a full setup with a fresh set of 10s and she is playing like a beauty. I was always a bit reluctant about trying to learn how to setup FRs but its really not that difficult, just takes patience. I found a reallly really good video on youtube called "how to set up a floyd rose in 2 minutes" if anyones interested in an innovative way to quickly setup your FR when changing string guages. Thanks again to everyone for suggestions, I love my new guitar!! XD

Now I just need my ernie ball music man JP signature and I'm all set

Cheers
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Three options on getting broke-off screws outta things

1. If there's enough of a nub left on the outside get a pair of needle-nose vicegrip pliers and go to town

2. Screw extractor like previously said, it can be done with the bolt head completely missing

3. Find someone with a wire welder and tack a steel bit hanging off the screw so you have something to turn.

4. Replace it. Should be pretty easy to find a saddle for that trem.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Three options on getting broke-off screws outta things

1. If there's enough of a nub left on the outside get a pair of needle-nose vicegrip pliers and go to town

2. Screw extractor like previously said, it can be done with the bolt head completely missing

3. Find someone with a wire welder and tack a steel bit hanging off the screw so you have something to turn.

4. Replace it. Should be pretty easy to find a saddle for that trem.

5. Drill it out. tap threads, find something the same diameter and has the same thread, and you are good to go.

i have done the stick welder one multiple of times on different cars. works great.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^That is true though I doubt the average Joe would have access to a set of taps, especially that small . I don't even think I have a set that small in metric..
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Page 1 of 2