Is Big Muff Pi (and other Big Muffs) a distortion or a fuzz pedal? According to this article ( http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/effects-explained-overdrive-di/ ), fuzz is very different from a distortion/overdrive effect. I think I heard somewhere that Big Muff is a fuzz, but maybe I got confused because of Mudhoney's "Big Muff and Superfuzz" album title .

Also, I wonder whether Big Muff could be used to boost an amps drive channel.
Last edited by andriusd at Jan 8, 2012,
It really depends on what kind of BMP you're talking about, but many of them are sort of in a grey area between fuzz and distortion. The Russian ones are closer to distortion, I think.

As far as boosting a drive channel, not a good idea in my opinion. They work well going into a slightly dirty amp, but they can mud up real quick when stacked onto too much amp gain.
Fuzz is distortion.

but to answer your question, I see a Big Muff as a fuzz pedal. Others see it as distortion. EHX calls it a sustainer.

Call it whatever you want, it sounds the way it sounds.
I was always told that fuzz is additive and distortion is subtractive. As in, distortion is clipping and fuzz is layered on top. Not sure if it's true though...
I understand that fuzz is a type of distortion, but that article explains the difference in how the "fuzz" and an ordinary "distortion pedal" works to give you that distortion and in result what are the characteristics of that distorted sound you hear. So I'm confused with all these labels and I want to know what's the real story - how does the Big Muff achieve that distortion - in the way that some DS-1 or Rat does or in a way that a Fuzz Face does.
Quote by theknuckster
I was always told that fuzz is additive and distortion is subtractive. As in, distortion is clipping and fuzz is layered on top. Not sure if it's true though...

They're both clipping. Fuzz is just a more extreme form of clipping that makes your guitar's signal resemble a square wave.

and to topic starter: It's more akin to the Fuzz Face, but higher gain and less midrange.
That album was named after the Big Muff! If you were to go out today and buy a Big Muff new in a box from a music store then you would be getting a fuzz pedal. Like it's been stated Fuzz is a more extreme clipping. It's an emulation of a speaker with holes in it that appealed to some musicians.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Last edited by RealGuitarHero at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by RealGuitarHero
If you were to go out today and buy a Big Muff new in a box from a music store then you would be getting a fuzz pedal.

And if I bought a vintage one, it would be not a fuzz?
It doesn't matter what people call it, it sounds how it sounds. Try one out, if you like it, buy it, if not, then don't.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
It has qualities of both. Distortion pedals are really hard to group and people try too hard to categorize them.
Quote by andriusd
And if I bought a vintage one, it would be not a fuzz?

Not exactly. The Big Muff has just been through many iterations. Some which are more overdrive than fuzz.

This websites shows the transformation overtime.
http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html
If you're interested in the sound of older Big Muff's I'd check out Stomp Under Foot.
http://stompunderfoot.com/
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
its a flanger
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
The article is a load of crap. I can design a diode clipper that sounds like a fuzz and cascaded BJTs that sounds like an OD. The Big Muff is a diode clipper. TBH, fuzz, OD and distortion are all exactly the same. They just distort the sound to different degrees.

EDIT: The history lesson is all kinda ****ed too.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by stykerwolf
If you don't know the difference it's going to be dumb to spend that much money on something seeing as how old big muffs go for.

I am not going to buy a vintage Muff, I just want to know more about this pedal.
Quote by andriusd
Is Big Muff Pi (and other Big Muffs) a distortion or a fuzz pedal? According to this article ( http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/effects-explained-overdrive-di/ ), fuzz is very different from a distortion/overdrive effect. I think I heard somewhere that Big Muff is a fuzz, but maybe I got confused because of Mudhoney's "Big Muff and Superfuzz" album title .

Also, I wonder whether Big Muff could be used to boost an amps drive channel.

they are distortion pedals that if used right can almost be a fuzz.
not a good idea using it to boost as a muff will ruin your bottom end and turn it into noise.

you want a fairly transparent overdrove like a tubescreamer for a boost.

Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by andriusd
I am not going to buy a vintage Muff, I just want to know more about this pedal.
The clip "Loop Noodle Soup" in my profile is a Russian Big Muff.
The Muff has a capacitor in the diode clipping circuit which takes the sharp edge off the clipping. A traditional fuzz is harsh, sharp clipping so in a way a Muff is more of a distortion pedal than a fuzz (yeah, yeah, fuzz is distortion - you know what I mean).
I'd say it's a fuzz without all the harshness. It's probably the only fuzz I'd ever buy (or make). I'm not a fan of fuzz though so take that as you will.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification