Apologies in advance for the wall of text.

So the time has come in which I think I need to do some pedal switcheroos and more conclusively complete my pedalboard setup.

My current pedalboard setup is as follows:
JHS Little Black Buffer -> TC Electronic Polytuner -> Xotic BB Preamp -> Xotic EP Booster -> Keeley Compressor (4-knob) -> Dunlop Volume -> Eventide Timefactor Delay (in fx loop).

Problem #1: I don't think I ultimately like the Keeley Compressor. Following Keeley's advise of actually putting it after dirt boxes in the chain did seem to improve the sound a little, but it still doesn't quite seem right. When engaged, it seems to add an absurd amount of attack to my sound, no matter how I set the attack knob. The attack knob seems to do little but fiddle with the EQ characteristics of the attack. The pedal really does not seem to add much lush sustain to the sound, which would be half my purpose for having a compressor (to get that kind of Eric Johnsoney, sustained sound on chords when used in conjunction with some delay and/or verb).

I think I need a new compressor, one that's better than the Keeley, or more appropriate for my purposes.

Problem #2: I'm feeling a need for more gain stages to use on the board. When I first got the board together, I actually had both the BB Preamp and a Suhr Riot on it. I ended up taking the Riot off the board because the BB was more natural sounding. My "high-gain" sound is produced by stacking the BB with the EP, on top of my amp's 2nd channel set to a light breakup. But I'd like more options, perhaps another dirt pedal to choose from (and maybe stack with the BB sometimes).

I think I'd like an additional dirt box that has a bit of a different character than the BB, but still natural sounding. The AC Booster is looking like it fits the job, but I'm not 100% sold on it yet.

Problem #3: As you can see, my pedalboard is pretty utilitarian in nature. Most of my effects are pretty subtle things, or things that have a very basic usage (tuning, volume control, boosting, etc.). There's nothing wrong with that, but I would like to add maybe one more pedal (which is all I'd have room for on the board anyways) that is an effect-effect, like some kind of modulation (Chorus/Vibrato/Tremolo/Rotary). Not too interested in phase or flange.

So, in summary, I'm in the market for 3 things: A compressor, a dirt box, and some kind of modulation. I have no budget limit, especially since I'm telling you guys that I'm displeased with my near-300 dollar compressor (apparently price doesn't always mean quality). I'm open to general opinions and suggestions.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Jan 8, 2012,
i've never actually used a compressor pedal, just when recording, so unfortunately i don't know of any good ones, it's too bad you don't like the keeley, they make great stuff. for another dirt box i love tube screamers, theres a few different options for those, the 808 is the holy grail of course but i actually like the TS9 more, i actually got mine modded by analog man to the 808 specs but it has a different sound to the standard 808s.

as far as modulation pedals go its really up to you. i like chorus alot, chorus sounds so nice when coming out of a really clean amp. you could also just kinda use modulations to have some fun with your rig, for instance i got a digitech whammy pedal, it's just fun to use. try some out and see what you think you might want. if you like phasers/flangers, the boss pitch shifter pedal can do a little bit of both, but i know how some people dont really dig boss.

have fun
for another dirt box i love tube screamers, theres a few different options for those, the 808 is the holy grail of course but i actually like the TS9 more, i actually got mine modded by analog man to the 808 specs but it has a different sound to the standard 808s.

I'm not against checking out an actual tube screamer, but the reason I was eyeing the AC Booster was under the assumption that it basically is a tube screamer without what is commonly characterized as the shortcomings of a tube screamer (I.E. it kills your low end and the single tone knob doesn't help get around that enough). Plus, I already am running two Xotic pedals and it seems like it'd make a nice addition.

But I'm open to opinions, and I know next to nothing about the various tube screamer mods.

as far as modulation pedals go its really up to you. i like chorus alot, chorus sounds so nice when coming out of a really clean amp.

Yea, I'm thinking chorus, but I've also seen some pedals that are more versatile that do like Chorus + something else. I am a bit curious about a vibrato or tremolo type of effect, or even a rotary kind of deal. I'm probably not going to go for something quite as expensive and elaborate as the Eventide Modfactor though. It's over-the-top enough that I have the Timefactor! :P

if you like phasers/flangers, the boss pitch shifter pedal can do a little bit of both, but i know how some people dont really dig boss.

Just to be clear, I mentioned phasers and flangers as what I'm not really interested in.
I was gonna suggest the Fulltone Supa-trem for your mod pedal. That or the baby face trem from Lovepedal. They also make some cool dirt pedals too. Look into the purple plexi, eternity, CoT and Kanji. All different flavors and some are harder to find than others.
I find your lack of fuzz disturbing.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592

lol +1.

For chorus, go for a Foxrox Aquavibe.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
He has to be, nobody actually likes Chorus anymore.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592

LOL. Guess I've never been much of a fuzz person.

Since you mention it though, the thought of a fuzz as an alternative dirt option did occur to me, especially since some of Eric Johnson's sounds rely on using a fuzzface. But I'm ultimately more interested in a general transparent and warm overdrive.
Quote by bpdeem
I was gonna suggest the Fulltone Supa-trem for your mod pedal. That or the baby face trem from Lovepedal. They also make some cool dirt pedals too. Look into the purple plexi, eternity, CoT and Kanji. All different flavors and some are harder to find than others.

I have a buddy who has the Fulltone and it does the job well enough. As for the others, I'll definitely check em out. I'm not very familiar with Lovepedal.

I know I shouldn't necessarily immediately jump to some of the most expensive, boutique stuff, but the Strymon Ola and Lex Rotrary are also looking quite nice at the moment, I must say.
It's way out of range for me at the moment but if you can do Strymon their stuff is increadible!
As for compressors, I noticed no one has any ideas on that. From what I could find, it's looking a lot like it's going to be a shootout between the Diamond and Strymon ones. I'm open to other alternatives though.

I really do feel like it's a shame about the Keeley though. It costed more than either the Diamond or Strymon. It's advertised as studio quality. Yet whenever I turn the thing on now, my ears just aren't pleased - it really does just sound like it's giving me "clankedy clank" + a little gain.
I have a Carl Martin Compressor. Quite expensive but does all what I want pretty well, and the attack knob has quite a good range on it. I put it before my BB preamp on my board.

Also worth a look for chorus is a TC Electronics corona chorus. Good price and although it's the first chorus i've owned seems to do the job.
Quote by Oldmonkeys
Havent read the replies super closely, but for the comp you cant go past the Diamond Compressor.

The Strymon has more options for about the same price, but the Diamond is just as nice and I'm not sure if I really need an extra clean boost (the EP works fine). So that is looking quite good atm.

I have a Carl Martin Compressor. Quite expensive but does all what I want pretty well, and the attack knob has quite a good range on it. I put it before my BB preamp on my board.

The Carl Martin is a bit more expensive. I'd be curious to see a shootout to see for myself if the price represents a justified difference in quality.
Quote by WtrPlyr
you trollin?

...maybe...

no one will ever know....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals