I have multiple guitars and I seem to think that all of them might have poor action, but I don't really know for sure.

There is an obvious rise as you go from the nut, down the fretboard, and to the bridge, and I can feel it when I am playing past the 12th fret. However when I asked my guitar teacher about it a couple of months ago, he said it was fine or that it was designed that way (I don't quite remember what he said actually, but basically don't mess with it)

Occasionally when I have gotten to play another person's guitar though, I feel like the action is great. I don't press the strings down as far at the high frets as I do on my guitar. However these aren't the same guitars I have. Is this type of action common for some guitars? I have Epiphone Les Paul's and an Ibanez Acoustic
I couldnt tell you much other than go see a luthier and talk to them about it.
I know what ur sayin tho, the action on my squier is very different from my ibanez, and im not sure why.
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
Yes it is perfectly fine to adjust action. The reason the bridges in LP's are made like that is so you can adjust the action to your prefrence.

Your guitar teacher seems like he doesent know to much about guitars.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes it is perfectly fine to adjust action. The reason the bridges in LP's are made like that is so you can adjust the action to your prefrence.

Your guitar teacher seems like he doesent know to much about guitars.

Well the weird thing is that he knows very much about guitars and his whole job is basically guitars. However he is just one person and nobody is perfect, I guess he can't know everything.

Regardless, I do think I really want to adjust the action. By my own instincts it just isn't right the way it is now. I will do it on my lowest end electric guitar first though just in case, and I will be very careful of course.

Also I want the experience of being able to adjust the action myself.

Do you guys know of any good resources/videos/information to assist with adjusting action yourself?
Last edited by Tmusician at Jan 8, 2012,
Its in the setup thread sticky.
Very helpful thread. First post has all you need.
Any troubles just post and ask jenny (jj) shes too helpful.
Quote by Tmusician
Well the weird thing is that he knows very much about guitars and his whole job is basically guitars. However he is just one person and nobody is perfect, I guess he can't know everything.

Regardless, I do think I really want to adjust the action. By my own instincts it just isn't right the way it is now. I will do it on my lowest end electric guitar first though just in case, and I will be very careful of course.

Also I want the experience of being able to adjust the action myself.

Do you guys know of any good resources/videos/information to assist with adjusting action yourself?

Well maybe the action height is fine to him, but it is you who needs to be comfortable.

And just to clarify, just because someone can play like EVH or works in a music store, it does not make them an expert when it comes to the technical aspects of guitars. I drive a car everyday for the last 18 yrs, but I would hardly call myself a mechanic.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well maybe the action height is fine to him, but it is you who needs to be comfortable.

And just to clarify, just because someone can play like EVH or works in a music store, it does not make them an expert when it comes to the technical aspects of guitars. I drive a car everyday for the last 18 yrs, but I would hardly call myself a mechanic.

+1

So many misconceptions out there, even among "pros".

Also sounds a little like the teacher may be confusing you between action and neck bow.

The only way I know of to hurt an electric guitar by adjusting the action is if you have a floyd rose-style tremolo and if you adjust it with the strings under tension. Best bet on that (like I had to do on my Ibanez RG770 re-issue last night) is to remove the springs from the claw and just move the trem completely out of the way. Otherwise, you end up dulling the knife edges. I can explain why if anyone wants, but won't in this post since TS didn't mention having a guitar with a floyd rose.

Anyway, if the strings are much higher than 2mm from the 14th fret, then the guitar probably needs an action adjustment.

As for neck bow, place a capo on first fret, then push the low E down at the first fret where the neck meets the body. The distance from the 8th fret to the string should be between .3 and .5mm. Otherwise it needs a truss rod adjustment. Make sure the neck bow is right before messing with action.

Action adjustment on an accoustic guitar is a whole different story. You can make truss rod adjustments, but action changes require modifying or replacing the bridge--most people should get a luthier to do that for them. It might cost more than the original purchase for the really low-end accoustics. Action is supposed to be way higher on an accoustic anyway.
Quote by Tmusician
I have multiple guitars and I seem to think that all of them might have poor action, but I don't really know for sure.

There is an obvious rise as you go from the nut, down the fretboard, and to the bridge, and I can feel it when I am playing past the 12th fret. However when I asked my guitar teacher about it a couple of months ago, he said it was fine or that it was designed that way (I don't quite remember what he said actually, but basically don't mess with it)

Occasionally when I have gotten to play another person's guitar though, I feel like the action is great. I don't press the strings down as far at the high frets as I do on my guitar. However these aren't the same guitars I have. Is this type of action common for some guitars? I have Epiphone Les Paul's and an Ibanez Acoustic
You can adjust the action but what your teacher said isn't wrong either. The action is supposed to get a little higher as you go up further on the neck. The reason for this is to prevent the string from catching onto higher frets (causing buzzing).
Quote by al112987
You can adjust the action but what your teacher said isn't wrong either. The action is supposed to get a little higher as you go up further on the neck. The reason for this is to prevent the string from catching onto higher frets (causing buzzing).

That's the neck bow that I'm talking about.