I bet this has been answered thousands of times, but I'm with a massive hangover and couldn't find it even looking in all places

Yesterday I was at the studio, and had to play a riff where I had to do a lot of slides, the strings were dirty, and i needed the strings to be really ¿slippery?. So the only thing that we had at hand was some lemon oil. (Which is on the case of my Strat) ¡And all went awesome!

Now i'm thinking on cleaning on a week basis with lemon oil my strings, will this improve the life, tone of them? Or there is something that could do bad to the strings?? (rosewood fender strat american hss, not a problem)

Sorry for my english, massive hangover doesn't help neither!
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-String-Cleaning-System/dp/B0036FB62W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326049547&sr=8-1

I've been using this. The solution leaves a nice but not overdone slick to the strings. Also great for getting the gunk off the bottom of your strings.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Dont buy any of these expensive cleaners, dirty guitar strings is exactly that, dirt on metal. All you need is a sponge with an abrasive side or some kitchen tier steel wool.

Dampen the sponge ( i mean damp to the point where a minimal amount of water is released if squeezed really hard) and scrub the abrasive side over the strings until any visible dirt is removed from the coils and any sweat rust is removed from the thinner strings, this method also helps keep your frets nice and clean and lubricated for smooth bends.

The thing people dont seem to realise about products like lemon/ tung/ almond oil is that they are designed to treat the fretboard WOOD, they will have little to no effect on the life or tone of your strings and in most cases the acidity of most big brand 'guitar oils' (due to tonnes of extra chemicals they dump into the stuff) will shorten the life of your strings.

TL;DR Clean strings with sponge and warm water, oils are for wood and should only be natural oils, none of this dunlop BS.
Quote by tiky

Yesterday I was at the studio, and had to play a riff where I had to do a lot of slides, the strings were dirty, and i needed the strings to be really ¿slippery?. So the only thing that we had at hand was some lemon oil. (Which is on the case of my Strat) ¡And all went awesome!
For slide type of work, you could consider flat wound strings. That's how many of "the big boys do it", but they might have multiple guitars.

Although I never used it personally, some people like "Fingerease" ; http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fingerease-guitar-string-lubricant/420450000000000

If I were indeed going to use it, I'd put a rag under the strings when applying it, to avoid getting it on the fretboard as well.
You know where you can get an awesome lubricant (FOR GUITAR!!!) ...?

Your head.

Seriously, rub your finger tips through your hair, on your scalp. Play.
Quote by Y00p

Your head.

Bro thats so rancid.
Quote by mr7string
Bro thats so rancid.

You're allowed to think that, I don't mind. It's worked me wonders for years now. It's just natural skin oils, just a lot more of it. I'd rather use that, than using water to clean my strings...
Quote by Y00p

Your head.

Impressive, it really works!
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Quote by mr7string
Dont buy any of these expensive cleaners, dirty guitar strings is exactly that, dirt on metal. All you need is a sponge with an abrasive side or some kitchen tier steel wool.

Dampen the sponge ( i mean damp to the point where a minimal amount of water is released if squeezed really hard) and scrub the abrasive side over the strings until any visible dirt is removed from the coils and any sweat rust is removed from the thinner strings, this method also helps keep your frets nice and clean and lubricated for smooth bends.

The thing people dont seem to realise about products like lemon/ tung/ almond oil is that they are designed to treat the fretboard WOOD, they will have little to no effect on the life or tone of your strings and in most cases the acidity of most big brand 'guitar oils' (due to tonnes of extra chemicals they dump into the stuff) will shorten the life of your strings.

TL;DR Clean strings with sponge and warm water, oils are for wood and should only be natural oils, none of this dunlop BS.

Dude you are wrong on soooo many levels here.
1.Steel wool will get stuck in the wound strings...then your fingers...and eventualy on and in the pickups.
2.Water on nickle strings and frets ??? Thats dumb. Combined with the acid in you sweat It will corrode the strings even faster.
3. I am an auto mechanic, new rotors are packed in oil.......to prevent what???? Rust and corrosion....DUH! So lemon oil on strigs should work fine , and actually any thing that wont totally fill the gaps in the wound strings will work well too. Mr Ducks Axe Wax...check it out.
4. Pure Oil does not = acid
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
Dude you are wrong on soooo many levels here.
1.Steel wool will get stuck in the wound strings...then your fingers...and eventualy on and in the pickups.
2.Water on nickle strings and frets ??? Thats dumb. Combined with the acid in you sweat It will corrode the strings even faster.
3. I am an auto mechanic, new rotors are packed in oil.......to prevent what???? Rust and corrosion....DUH! So lemon oil on strigs should work fine , and actually any thing that wont totally fill the gaps in the wound strings will work well too. Mr Ducks Axe Wax...check it out.

This, oils are not acidic, lemon oil is not acidic in any way, it's oil...now, lemon JUICE on the other hand.....

I play on Rotosound strings, which I love, but they don't rust at all, which I find strange. They are nickle wound strings, yet they wont rust, even after 2 months of hard playing(lack of money to change strings ) Idk if they combine metals with it to prevent rust, or what, but I'm inclined to believe they are just pure nickle, which pure nickle doesn't rust.

Just a side thought.
Quote by danvwman

Thanks for that answer, that really help!!

Nobody feels like wanting to eat the Lemon Oil when openning? Ha! Could be dangerous? I don't think so! going to check the ingredients later at home (I'm at work ;/) and put a bit on my salad if everthing it's ok
Last edited by tiky at Jan 10, 2012,
Dunlop 65 Guitar string cleaner has is really good. I use it on both of my guitars.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by tiky
Thanks for that answer, that really help!!

Nobody feels like wanting to eat the Lemon Oil when openning? Ha! Could be dangerous? I don't think so! going to check the ingredients later at home (I'm at work ;/) and put a bit on my salad if everthing it's ok

Lemon oil doesn't have actual lemons in it. Its just mineral oil that is scented with lemons because it smells nice.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Mineral oil is a constipation cure.
If no harmful chemicals u should totally put it on your salad.

On my bottle of stringfellow:

"DO NOT induce vomiting"

-Because its bad manners at the dinner table.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
holy doublepost.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Mineral oil is a constipation cure.
If no harmful chemicals u should totally put it on your salad.

It reads in big

DANGER: HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED.
Contains pretoleum distillates. If swallowed do not induce vomiting. Call physician inmediatly.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Damn...
You can clean strings with NO solvent,(just a rag), or any solvent capable of dissolving body oils.

The one that springs to mind first and foremost, is automotive brake cleaner. it's the strongest grease cleaner I can think of ATM.

The caveat here is, put a rag under the strings where you're spraying it, to avoid saturating the fret board, and above all do this OUTSIDE.

Dispose of the can properly, and if it's a week before trash day, put it the the can in the trash anyway. You won't endear yourself to any of your loved ones it you try to pass it off as a sex toy.

I don't know or care if this is the, "boil strings to make them sound new again,", thread. But I'll say relaxing and tightening strings causes them to lose tone faster. Boiling strings will cause slipping of the wrap, as it would presumably expand and contract in the presence of the heated water, killing the tone perhaps even quicker.

Electrical contact cleaner, which is similar to brake cleaner, but safer on plastics, might deal well with the sulfates ( The green color you see rubbing off is most likely copper sulfate), (bluish green is the tell tale color of copper, and it's used when the want green in fireworks).

Due to potential ozone damage from chlorofluorocarbons, electrical contact cleaner has become fairly expensive).

I have no intention of reading all the search results I received on "mineral oil as a laxative", but you can if you like: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=934&bih=1731&q=mineral+oil+as+a+laxative&oq=mineral+oil+as+a+laxative&aq=f&aqi=g4g-j3g-m1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2241l76030l0l76711l26l26l0l2l2l0l282l4039l2.15.7l24l0
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 11, 2012,
I WOULD NOT USE brake cleaner anywhere near a guitar! Even the mist/vapor from the spray will disolve most finishes.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
I WOULD NOT USE brake cleaner anywhere near a guitar! Even the mist/vapor from the spray will disolve most finishes.

Which is why I suggested to only use it outside. The fretboard itself isn't actually finished.

If you're dumb enough to atomize the fluid directly at or around the guitar, then you should obviously not use brake cleaner. I'd put a fleece rag under the strings, and spray the cleaner on a second rag!

These "clean strings sound better longer" threads are, to a certain extent, rather pointless.

While you may eek out a couple of extra days playing with proper care, there are metallurgical changes going on from shock, stress, and corrosion. Point being, "you have to pay to play"! It's probably better if you adjust to that concept.

And BTW, harder more durable strings tend to burn out the frets, before you burn through the windings!

Instead of taking mineral oil as a laxative, why not treat yourselves to a "high colonic", while you ponder this post.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 11, 2012,
Fast-Fret FTW cleans your strings, makes them slippy and makes them last longer...cant go wrong
Quote by Y00p

Your head.

That reminds me of a program I saw a few years ago in which this geezer used his ear wax to keep his coffee table in tip top condition!!!

Human recycling at its best!

Chocolate sauce anyone......?

A few more serious points:

1. I agree with all who say that what ever is used for the strings should be kept off the fretboard. Lubricating rosewood fretboards is a good idea and should be done periodically. But it is a separate process!

2. If using any of the proprietary cleaners, I always find it best to apply the solution to the rag FIRST. I then pinch the string with the rag where you have put the solution, lift it away from the fretboard a little, then rub up and down a few times (from nut to saddle. Beware of any nearby dogs as the high pitch squeal this creates is deafening!

3. Another option would be to use coated strings. I still clean/wipe them, but I find the need to use any cleaning solutions a lot less.

4. I'm not a fan of fast fret. I find that the fibre from the stick tends to wrap around the B and E strings, and is a pigs arse to get off. Until it is off, the strings sound very dull because the fibre deadens them.