My hunt for a 25.5" passive-equipped, three-pickup, hardtail bridge guitar has led me to the Ibanez RG1451. It's the entry-level model to their RG Prestige line, made in Japan, and of course there are lots of people who swear by their Ibanez superstrats (Steve Vai anyone?) Problem is I'm not much of a shredder, more of a rhythm player (hence the hardtail bridge), and I was wondering how much sustain this model has, and how thick the tone is.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page11.php?area_id=2&data_id=167&color=CL02&year=2011&cat_id=1&series_id=477
Link to the guitar for your viewing pleasures.
RG's tend to not have much sustain, my RG prestige has very little (although that is a trem-equiped model). They're also basswood which may not have a "thick tone" like mahogany- if that's what you're after, consider an S/SA series instead..although 24-fret models are rarer
I'm not a big fan of the S-style bodies. I'm a pretty big guy and those things are paper thin!
Quote by samjbow
I'm not a big fan of the S-style bodies. I'm a pretty big guy and those things are paper thin!

Fair point, they are pretty slim! In fact I'm trying to get rid of my SA right now, it's too small for me (and I'm a real small guy!)

A hardtail RG should be alright for sustain actually, but what I've noticed with Ibanez is that the pickups tend to be lacking in warmth and clear tone. The one you've chosen ought to be good but bear in mind that you may want to upgrade those pickups..
Yeah the only RGs I've played have been really low-end ones and I hated them all. The only Ibanez I've ever enjoyed the sound of was an ART320, which ironically, most Ibanez players seem to dislike. I guess I just don't see eye to eye with Ibanez players
Oh some of the low-end ones can be nasty, but Prestige are otherworldly! You would not regret buying one at that level
Why not look at a used rga121 instead? They are HH config, but would you really miss having the middle pickup? Solid mahogany body in the same shape & same neck as the RG prestiges. You can get them with a maple cap or without (mine is without).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I'll probably play one if I get the chance, I'm also looking at PRS and waiting to see what shows up after the upcoming NAMM show with other brands like Schecter. Schecter has a lot of guitars that meet the same requirements as the RG series... problem is I think they look silly haha :/ and this the last guitar I will be buying for a while, heading into university or college in the fall, and I don't wanna spend the next four years playing a guitar I think looks like an infantile child's toy. Maybe I'm just a little stuck up, lol
Quote by SilverSpurs616
RG's tend to not have much sustain, my RG prestige has very little (although that is a trem-equiped model). They're also basswood which may not have a "thick tone" like mahogany- if that's what you're after, consider an S/SA series instead..although 24-fret models are rarer

My RG7321 has a basswood body, and it has a very huge sound(all over, not just on the B). I think it's more in the pickups, mine has PAF style pickups, so it gives it a huge roaring tone, which I like. I think it has plenty of sustain...not endless, but better than a Strat.
Why not look at a used rga121 instead?

I had no idea they existed :O I'm scouring Kijiji for one now.