Page 1 of 2
I did a search and the threads like this are all like, three years old. If starting a new one is an issue, I can just go resurrect one of those.

Anyway, albums that changed your life, or at least how you view music. When I was a kid, I kinda had the generic little kid taste in music. Blink182, assorted pop singers, etc. But my dad always also had classic radio stations on, and I would always kind of casually listen to those and think "wow this music is really cool". On my 13th birthday, my dad got me Rush's The Spirit of Radio cd, and a friend of mine who was slowly introducing me to many of the bands I would know and love today gave me The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute. Both albums completely altered my view of music. Here were songs that were complex, interesting, unique, lyrically deep. My hunger for more like this led me to drop interest in pop music and take up more progessive, and even heavier bands. Granted, I still enjoy me some Alanis and Greenday here and there. But now, my tastes have expanded to appreciate many genres of music.
Honey mustard is best mustard.
De-Loused in the Comatorium.

That album changed everything musically for me.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
In chronological order:

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
Sunn O))) - Monoliths and Dimensions
Swans - Children of God
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Totally changed the way I listen to and look at music, lyrically and compositionally.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
This is the shit, yo. Pretty much showed me what an album can be as art.

Kanye West - The College Dropout
Opened me up to hip hop, more importantly changed me in that it was the first non rock (in the broad sense) album I obsessed over.
Blink 182 - Enema of the State
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Probably In Rainbows, Kala, ITAOTS and Velvet Underground & Nico.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Last edited by bradulator at Jan 8, 2012,
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
Unexpect - In A Flesh Aquarium
Earth - The Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull
Flotation Toy Warning - Bluffer's Guide to the Flight Deck
Caravan Palace - s/t
Ryoji Ikeda - Matrix
Dananananaykroyd - Hey Everyone
Low - Trust
Magnog - Magnog

They have all had a huge effect on my fundamental appreciation and understanding of music.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jan 8, 2012,
I'll mention a few

Appetite for Destruction - kickstarted my interest for music and made me pick up the guitar
Freewheelin' Bob Dylan - made me interested in songwriting/lyrics/melodies

Velvet Underground & Nico - opened up the psycadelic/alt/new waveish side of music.

Marquee Moon - opened up my eyes for how a guitar riff should sound with clean settings

Instrumentalmusik att sjunka in i eller försvinna bort till - made me realise instrumental music is wonderful

Down In Albion - made me realise the importance of mood and passion and what you send out with a production of an album. The production of this album is wonderful, most people would say it's terrible as it's very "free" and "fogged of drugs" but that's what I love about it. Mick Jones just released the band and they made it awesome. And Pete also made me realise what I prefer in a voice, what little details and stuff.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jan 8, 2012,
Funeral by Arcade Fire. Broke me out of "only classic rock" phase.

Doolittle by The Pixies. Made me realize "alternative" rock isn't always a dirty word.

Skeletal Lamping by Of Montreal. Got me into what is now one of my favorite bands, and indirectly got me to really delve into old school funk.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
In Flames - Clayman. I just couldnt get into music with growls/screams but that album blew open the whole friggin thing for me, now im totes metulz XP. but seriously.
Radiohead - In_Rainbows is what made me take music seriously.
Porcupine Tree - The Incident made me change how I look at the album format and got me in to harder music.
Built to Spill - You in Reverse made me change how I write music significantly.
Elbow - Asleep in the Back made me change how I write lyrics.

lol Zeletros.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Zeletros
Metallica- Lulu

Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Drukqs - Aphex Twin
It stopped me thinking about the main tune and listen to everything else that accompanied it. It also had the side effect of making almost half the bands I used to listen to sound dull and uninterresting.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.

Eyedea & Abilities - By the Throat
Genuinely awesome album that showed me how much genuine emotion can be put through hip hop, fusing with a sort of industrial noise rock vibe.

Slipknot - S/T
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol. II
Offspring - Smash
Last edited by SkepsisMetal at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by due 07
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Totally changed the way I listen to and look at music, lyrically and compositionally.

Kanye West - The College Dropout
Opened me up to hip hop, more importantly changed me in that it was the first non rock (in the broad sense) album I obsessed over.

And 'The Good Son' >.>
Recently, Opeth. I've always known the name, but never bothered to find what was behind the name. Well I just happened to be browsing in the local music store one day and I saw Opeth's Watershed CD. So I bought it off a whim. And...
...wow.
The Dear Hunter's Act II: The Meaning Of, and All Things Regarding Ms. Leading

Pianos Become the Teeth's Old Pride
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
A Night At The Opera - got me interested in music in the first place

few honorable mentions:

The Downward Spiral

Siamese Dream

Ire Works
This is all.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by due 07

Oooh, yes. Such a beautiful album.

Also, The Fall of Troy's Doppleganger certainly opened my ears to music with a little less...melody haha
Honey mustard is best mustard.
Lustmord- Metavoid pretty much opened me up to electronic-based music.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by BenRaah
In chronological order:

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
Sunn O))) - Monoliths and Dimensions
Swans - Children of God
Interesting... for me (also in chronological order):
Muse - Absolution
Muse - Origin of Symmetry (shortly after hearing Absolution)
Radiohead - The Bends (and then OK computer etc...)
The Mars Volta - De-loused In The Comatorium
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet (shortly after The Mars Volta)
Battle Circus - Battle Circus
Opeth - Damnation
Opeth - Watershed (as well as To Bid You Farewell and Demon of the Fall)

I'm still venturing into Opeth land. Also, I have recently found a Dream Theater album with less masturbastion (Images & Words).
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jan 8, 2012,

My first Opeth album. Nearly shat myself when I first heard it.

Got me into rap. Also how I discovered the Rhymesayers, and thus a whole lot of my favortie MCs.

Got me into dance music. This album made me realize computers can still groove.

Hands down my favorite album. The singer/guitarist is my biggest songwriting influence.
When I was kid I was into rap and pop.. Then I got Godsmack first album, NickelBack first major album, and the Black Album. I been into Rock ever since. When I got into Alice in Chains and Soundgarden and Robert Johnson my life changed. I been into Grunge and Blues for the last few years.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Slipknot - All Hope is Gone
Got me into music

Dean Martin - Ain't That a Kick in the head
Showed there were good genres other than rock

Deadmau5 - For Lack of a Better name
Got me into electronic music

There's probably others but i can't remember them.
Nirvana - Nevermind, introuduced me to grunge.
Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bollocks, introduced me to punk.
The Stooges - Raw Power, made me love that raw edge in bands
RAW POWER
SOAD - Toxicity
Aphex Twin - Drukqs & the Windowlicker EP
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Meshuggah - DEI

Most recently:
Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By
Com Truise - Cyanide Sisters EP

(Invalid img)
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Page 1 of 2