Ok so I'm entering a talent show soon, and me and my bud are having a guitar battle, so I want to show off a little by playing behind my head. I can do it, but my problem is no one is impressed because I usually do slow blues licks, so I was wondering if you could give me some more blues-rock kind of licks to play that are easy to do behind your head and will impress the school, thanks guys
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
You said:
no one is impressed because I usually do slow blues licks

The correct version of this is:
no one is impressed

Just don't do it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
a better technique is playing wih your dick(read off of someones sig)

but seriously im not going to teb out licks for you to play here just screw around tastefully with the petatonics itll impress most people
Don't play behind you're head. Unless you're actually a famous guitarist playing to a big crowd you'll look like a tool
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Everyone else touched upon this.

If no one is impressed while playing slow blues licks behind your head, maybe you should learn more impressive guitar licks instead? Then add some showmanship to it after you learn to play faster and harder licks
Does it need to be a 'battle'? The crowd will probably enjoy it more if you come out with some kind of epic harmonised solo, grinning at each other like kindred spirits achieving simultaneous musical orgasm.
Just saying. If you want people to write out licks to play behind your head you're probably going to struggle to play behind your head. If you struggle to play fast stuff normally then you won't play it well behind your head.

I play behind my head but generally fast but simpler licks in E/Eb. I've got a Les Paul too which is a bit hard to lift due to weight etc.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
I hate how if you don't word something right on here you get bitched at smh, all I'm looking for is like an intro or part of a solo, idk it's hard to explain, and I'm considered a "legend" at my school when it comes to guitar, I'm not the best but a lot of people see me as the guitar guy and say I can play good, I think I'm not the best, I need to improve a lot, all I really want to do is some sort of guitar trick, it doesn't have to be behind my head I just thought it would of been cool, suggest me some tricks if you want, thanks.
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
I hate how if you don't word something right on here you get bitched at smh, all I'm looking for is like an intro or part of a solo, idk it's hard to explain, and I'm considered a "legend" at my school when it comes to guitar, I'm not the best but a lot of people see me as the guitar guy and say I can play good, I think I'm not the best, I need to improve a lot, all I really want to do is some sort of guitar trick, it doesn't have to be behind my head I just thought it would of been cool, suggest me some tricks if you want, thanks.

Why do you need tricks? Why not just play something that sounds good? Anyway, try some Brian May licks, he's got a great style and he isn't generally too technical
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Haha alright, thanks guys
~Jimi Hendrix
Yea this just sounds risky, lol...if you try it and then butcher the whole thing up because you're doing it...then why bother. I agree with the work on something a lil more technical, least its a skill that goes somewhere else with guitar playing...I mean once you learn how to play behind your head...whats next? Learning to play with your teeth while the guitar is behind your head? Now that..would be a feat.
If you want to impress the mouth-breathers then just do some simple tapping, people go crazy for that kind of shit.

If you can't do that then play anything that you don't need to look at to play, that's the only thing that really changes if you put the guitar behind your head.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by SideshowBob180
Does it need to be a 'battle'? The crowd will probably enjoy it more if you come out with some kind of epic harmonised solo, grinning at each other like kindred spirits achieving simultaneous musical orgasm.

That belongs in a sig.
just speed ya licks up. playing behinda ya head is piss easy.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar

"I'm kind of a big deal...people know me"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
"I'm kind of a big deal...people know me"

Win!
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
If you're doing a guitar battle, don't make that the whole show. Throw it in the bridge section of a song you guys can play together or something. Otherwise, it just becomes a wank-fest that loses everyone's interest.

If you want licks, look at the Freebird solo. It's essentially a bunch of semi-challenging blues licks thrown one after another.
Quote by Pettah
"I have many leatherbound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogny"! hehe

I'm a very social guy, get over it.
~Jimi Hendrix
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
I'm a very social guy, get over it.

You do realise that every time you say anything like that people want to help you about 10% less than they did before, right?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You do realise that every time you say anything like that people want to help you about 10% less than they did before, right?

Yeah but you realize it pisses me off when I just ask a question and everyone has a smartass comment, if you guys wanna help me then thanks so much, but if your gonna be a jerk about it then maybe I'll just figure things out on my own.
~Jimi Hendrix
You're not getting "bitched at for not wording something right", far from it. All people are trying to tell you is that learning to play the guitar better would be more impressive. If, as you say, you can't show off with your regular playing, putting the guitar behind your head isn't showing off, it's just using a trick to fool people into thinking you're better than you are so they'll applaud you. If your playing can't impress people and that's what you're going for, work on that issue first. People aren't being smartasses or jerks, they're stating something that should be really obvious, to be honest.

Also, I think you may be padding this story a bit - you're considered "a legend" but can't impress anyone?
I guess what I was meaning is I'm stuck on playing fast behind my head, I'm good playing normal, but behind my head I'm not so good, so I was looking for some good sounding, easier licks to do behind my head, I can handel it when playing normal.
~Jimi Hendrix
playing behind your head to me is too cheesy IMO, unless you are a god on the guitar that way, otherwise too many mistakes will made you look the fool in their eyes.

one unique thing you could do is take a popular song that is not really hard rock or metal and transform it into a metal type solo etc.
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Yeah but you realize it pisses me off when I just ask a question and everyone has a smartass comment, if you guys wanna help me then thanks so much, but if your gonna be a jerk about it then maybe I'll just figure things out on my own.

I told you everything you need to know already, all you have to do is actually read the thread.

Also I can sum up the general feeling of people in this thread pretty quickly:

Impressing people with tricks is dumb and no one who matters cares, you're better off just learning to play a song that people know and like.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I told you everything you need to know already, all you have to do is actually read the thread.

Also I can sum up the general feeling of people in this thread pretty quickly:

Impressing people with tricks is dumb and no one who matters cares, you're better off just learning to play a song that people know and like.

+1 for indicating that we're people that matter. Go UG!
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
you two should do some iron maiden, that synch will make anyone cream in their pants
Quote by damage_inc07
Do a barrel roll.

+1

Have a read at Steve Vai´s take on facial expressions.. he is definetly right on how much more appealing it makes to watch a player who is using corresponding gestures to emphasize what he is playing..
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 10, 2012,
I don't get why people are bashing the good old "playing guitar behind your head" trick. It's just something to make the performance a little more interesting to watch. Most people I know don't want to listen to guitar players wank for ten minutes, but if you spice it up with the occasional visual trick it gets more exciting to watch. Basic showmanship.
Quote by Boz0r
I don't get why people are bashing the good old "playing guitar behind your head" trick. It's just something to make the performance a little more interesting to watch. Most people I know don't want to listen to guitar players wank for ten minutes, but if you spice it up with the occasional visual trick it gets more exciting to watch. Basic showmanship.

Showmanship comes after competence. If he's not good enough to be kind of interesting to listen to, he's not gonna be interesting to listen to regardless of what he's doing visually.

I'm sticking to my advice: don't do a guitar battle on its own. They're trite and boring. If you're dead set on the idea, stick it in the middle of a bridge or solo section in a song that people know already. If you need some licks, check Freebird's solo. It's literally a random collection of blues-rock licks one after another after another after another, ad infinitum.
I will say, having a fair bit of experience in these kinds of situations, do not do the guitar behind the head trick. Hendrix was known for these kinds of antics, however, his guitar playing was groundbreaking, and he was around 40 years ago. Fourty years have passed, and guitar playing has changed, as has performing. Nowadays, the stage tricks that were amazing and revolutionary are now overplayed and cliched, if you were a magician, you'd be booed off stage if you acted as though sawing a woman in half was still exciting, and any film/book that ends with everything being just a dream will be absolutely destroyed by critics and will annoy any audience. Did anyone else facepalm when they saw Yngwie do similar things on stage? I know I did, despite his skill.

I'd recommend trying to perform a bit more without going over the top, engage with your music, make the audience believe every note, whether you're making an intense expression to highlight a bend, or even just looking out to the audience when you're clearly doing something intricate. Make it look effortless and spur of the moment, not overrehearsed, if I wanted to see a piece of choreography, I'd go and see a group of dancers and pretend that I'm not just there to see if the girl's tights fall down. Some players can have a lot of presence without doing many fancy tricks.