I've recently gotten big into modding all those cheap SS practice amps that everyone thinks is crap, but I've found something quite amazing just now.

A friend of mine gave me his old 90's Peavey Rage 108 to do some modifications on, so I tore into it, only to find that everything was axle style caps, 5% film capacitors, and lots of inductors...not a single cheap part in there. Underneath, the PCB traces were thick, heavy solder traces, it was a beautiful sight, I should of taken pictures...So I just put everything back together..

Now I'll get to the point...this amp sounds like crap, like a cow took a crap, and the that pile of crap took a crap..then I noticed it had a preamp out, so naturally I plug my recording line into it, and I was amazed at the gold that came forth. The tone this thing can spew from the preamp is just utter bliss compared to what the speaker puts out...

I've recorded some clips to show ya'll what I mean...if any of you know what a Peavey Rage sounds like....then this will blow your mind that it comes from the exact same amp...stock.

Cleans are kinda meh, but oh well: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8920099/Clean.mp3

Channel switch, Low gain, getting better: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8920099/Low%20gain2.mp3

Channel switch, Med gain, now we talken: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8920099/Med%20gain.mp3

Now that's settled, before you go and buy a new amp you can't afford, spend like $40 on a new speaker, you might be greatly surprised...I've found this with many cheap SS amps, they like to throw a cheap full range speaker in there, so it sounds awful. Throw something like a Jensen Mod 8 in there for $25, and your mind will be blown.
Nah mate that still sounds like shit
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Nah mate that still sounds like shit

+1
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
The low gain didn't sound terrible... but the clean and medium gain were not very good at all.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by ethan_hanus
As compared to what? A Mesa Roadster? It's not the greatest sound in the flippen world, but it's leagues better than that crappy Marshall MG you got in your sig.

This. Can't really crap on his amp when you're playing on a MG
Quote by Weirdbag
I <3 my cheap ss amp

probably only because it says SS am i right?
Quote by GibsonMan321
The low gain didn't sound terrible... but the clean and medium gain were not very good at all.

In what aspects? Do you even know what a Peavey Rage sounds like stock? If you knew what it sounded like stock, this would surprise you.
Quote by ethan_hanus
In what aspects? Do you even know what a Peavey Rage sounds like stock? If you knew what it sounded like stock, this would surprise you.

Perhaps you could do a stock recording for comparison...

To me, the cleans sound much worse than my Spider 15, at least from this recording. And that thing cost me 90 bucks.
Quote by Vitor_vdp
When I imagine some bass and drums with it, I can definitely see it as usable.

There are professional bands with worse tones.

I can prolly record a song with it here in a few days if you want.

^ The clean thing is kinda an issue, the speaker was breaking up at low volume so I didn't really push the cleans like I should of.

EDIT: Also, this recording was done preamp out of the amp, using Catharsis Studios impulses of a Mesa 4x12 with V-30's...so this is what the amp sounds like with V-30's basically. I actually haven't' modded the amp.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jan 8, 2012,
Totally true, though obviously still can't hold a candle to a good, proper tube amp with good speakers, etc. I've got 4 or 5 little SS practice amps, in various states of customization from stock to new speakers, wiring, and other little mods, and I'd be happy gigging with any of them (provided I can mic them, they're mostly 5-15W and therefore not really concert volume).

It helps that I rely on pedals for all effects - the built in effects and distortion on those amps are typically garbage and that's where they really start to sound bad. An MG on clean is not a good amp by any stretch of the imagination but not terrible. However, try to up the gain and you get that godawful hissing distortion that destroys your eardrums and your faith in humanity.
Quote by Switcheffect525
This. Can't really crap on his amp when you're playing on a MG

Last time I checked there was also a 6260 in my sig, pretty sure Ive been using that for the last few years, and tbh his peavey isnt to far off an mg15 anyway.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Last time I checked there was also a 6260 in my sig, pretty sure Ive been using that for the last few years, and tbh his peavey isnt to far off an mg15 anyway.

I question your ability to differentiate tone if you think the recorded sound from this amp sounds ANYTHING like a MG. I play on a Valveking, and I still think this amp sounds decent for what it is...
see now, i think the cleans sound really nice. i prefer them kinda flat, dark cleans, rather than the typical fendery bright ones, so that's probably why, but everything about that sounded nice to me
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
The med gain was kind of cruddy and the low gain was okay it wasnt too bad. I actually liked the clean though. But I agree it does sound better than a normal rage.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Is that a joke or is that a real amp? If its real I want one lol.

No joke man, it's real, the controls and jacks are on the back!
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
I'll embellish on that +1. I thought the clean was ok, but the mid was really muddy and the high gain was pretty unlistenable.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.