Hey everyone, I'm covering for a friend of mine by playing bass in his classic rock covers band using a borrowed amp and an old bass at the moment, but I'm getting to the stage where the bass is holding me back a little so I'm looking at something new. I have some serious financial issues, so I have a really low budget as it is but I think I've found something fairly nice that I'd like your opinions on.

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/redwood-s4b-black

It's a neck through bass for 200 quid. I would imagine it has terrible pickups and electronics, but it looks nice and solid. I'm going to try it tomorrow so just want to know if anyone would advise against this bass because they've owned one/ tried one before.

I'm open to suggestions for other basses, but I'm not willing to go used, and I can't afford more than about 200. The reason I don't want to go used despite it getting me a better deal is because I don't have the money to restring a bass and a new bass will come with new strings and I won't have to pay shipping. I know it sounds petty, but I've figured the cost of restringing my old bass into the cost of buying one. It's currently got rusty strings and I'm willing to cut down my food budget for the next couple of weeks to get something that will be better in the long run, especially since the bridge saddles sit too high and the adjustment screws have been used so much they're worn out and can't be adjusted.

My current bass is an aria pro 2, plywood body, with active/ passive pickups. I don't know how that really works, but their is a switch to change it from active to passive apparently.

EDIT: TL DR - Anyone know anything about redwood neck thru basses? Failing that I need a bass for 200 GBP. New or available for less than 200 with shipping (about 20 and new strings about another 20) factored in for used purchases. I use some borrowed Line 6 175 watt bass amp for classic rock covers.
Last edited by CobenBlack at Jan 8, 2012,
It's probably a cheap Made in East Asia pos if I'm honest.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I can only speak about the redwood guitar I have, and it is one of the most brilliant guitars I´ve owned. It really is a flawless guitar, which was perfectly finished up to my tastes. Granted, its price was 7-8 times higher than for what this bass is selling, but I still believe that this may possibly be the best bass you can get for 200 dollars. I´ve done some research which has shown that my guitar was built in the same factory in Korea where Gretsch and Peerless build. I don´t know if this is true for this bass, but if it was, you´d be on the lucky side I think.

Edit: Checked the site you are buying from again, it seems like they shifted Redwood to carry the lower priced catalogue. You can check out Peerless guitars (which is essentially the same company) to take a look at their higher end models.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Last edited by Madzää at Jan 8, 2012,
Pretty much what I figured. I'm trying it tomorrow because I need something, it's as simple as that. The bass I have sounds OK despite its plywood body (ha!) but I can't get the strings to any reasonable height because of the bridge being worn and I'm going to have to replace the strings too, which at this price point is a significant percentage of the cost of the actual bass itself.

Was just wondering if anyone had any horror stories. I've played guitar for long enough to spot things that are deal breakers, but if it's just a little rough on a couple of frets and the paint work isn't great I can live with that, but I haven't heard anything about them so I'd like to know anything to watch for that I'll not have thought about.

EDIT: Sorry, only saw the first reply. I wasn't aware that redwood had a higher end history. Is there a website that you know of? I've been looking for one to check them out and see what sort of company they are because if they've produced guitars before and are trying to start selling lower priced ones they may be artificially lowering prices till they get a good reputation, but if they are new then there's likely to be start up issues like inexperience.
Last edited by CobenBlack at Jan 8, 2012,
It´s probably because the higher end models have shifted to the name of peerless. However, I have definitely proof that they have higher end models. As you can see in this video here (http://video.musik-schmidt.de/0125_og4199_redwood_jazz1.html), sorry for it being in german, this is my guitar, and essentially the same as the Peerless New York guitar. (you can check that yourself on google images). This guitar is currently selling for 1200 euro in Germany. I believe the name Redwood has changed to Peerless, so I think you´d be much better off checking their website. It´s just that their models are exactly the same as Redwood´s, and they only started selling in my music shop when no new Redwood guitars were brought in.

Edit: I know that sounds kind of fishy, but believe me, I think I wouldn´t be praising them so much if I weren´t so satisfied with my guitar. I´ve tried lots of them when they were still sold in my preferred shop, and I can say that I have never played a bad one. And I´m fairly certain that they didn´t get a set-up in the store. However, I also have to point out that these were guitars in the 600-2500 euro range, not yours.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Last edited by Madzää at Jan 8, 2012,
No that's fair enough. I appreciate the input. I'll be trying it tomorrow and really, failing someone having tried the same model, someone trying a similar guitar from the parent company is the best I could have asked for. I'll bear this in mind when I have a look at it tomorrow.
If it's only the strings and bridge on the older bass that are a problem and you're on a tight budget, you could always just get new strings and a new bridge for the one you have. I've never played a Redwood bass either, but I have seen similar looking basses on eBay being sold from Germany by a company called Fanndec. A few people have been unlucky with them but the company seems to offer replacements in those cases and I've seen some very good reviews about them too. I think they were in a similar price range, and because Germany is in the EU there shouldn't be any additional customs charges to pay. You can probably get a new Squier or Peavey for not far off of that price too, but they probably wouldn't be neck-thru.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Why are you so bothered about neck-thru? It essentially means absolutely nothing, there are a billion other things that have a far greater effect on the tone of an instrument, and there are plenty of top-end basses that opt for a bolt-on design because some luthiers actually think it gives a better sound. I'd wager that most of the classic, well-regarded bass sounds out there (probably most of the bass sounds you've ever heard and thought "damn, that sounds good") were probably recorded on a bolt-on.

For £200, head over to basschat.co.uk and look around the for sale section. Try and pick yourself up a 2nd hand VM or CV Squier Jazz (or Precision), incredible instruments for the money, and they'll almost definitely be a lot better than a nobody-brand budget instrument.
Quote by Ziphoblat
For £200, head over to basschat.co.uk and look around the for sale section. Try and pick yourself up a 2nd hand VM or CV Squier Jazz (or Precision), incredible instruments for the money, and they'll almost definitely be a lot better than a nobody-brand budget instrument.

Definatly this. As you said, you have absolutely no cash (or you have so little that you won't be buying new strings...), but it is still better to get a used bass, that's going to be overall better than a new one, despite the used strings. Also, the stock strings aren't as fresh as out of the package, since the basses as usually hanging on the wall and little by little the strings get some worning. The point is that if I were you (and there was a time when a was in the same financial situation as you are now) I'd get a used bass over a new one.

and I also reccomend squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series. If you like light basses, I'd also reccomend yamaha's RBX series, that are even cheaper than the Squiers (though they're not as good). Maybe, if you like dark sounding basses, a washburn taurus, but i think the squiers are the best for the money.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2