Page 1 of 2
Hey Pit,
I'm writing an essay, and I need the names of some wars (any time period/country) that have the most weird or funny reasons for starting. I know the most obvious one is the war in Iraq (WMD's/oil, really?) but there's a conservative girl in my class who has military relatives and I don't want to piss her off more than I already have.
Religious wars.

Any war during the Cold War era basically. The reasoning behind Soviet entering Afghanistan is kind of random.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jan 8, 2012,
I don't know nearly enough about it, but did WW I start primarily from merely a complex array of alliances?
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Fair warning, you are going to get swarmed by so many conspiracy theorists.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
War of the Bucket. Exactly how it sounds, 4000 people died over a bucket.
El Salvador and Honduras fought a war over soccer/football, it lasted about 100 hours. It's known as the Football War or the 100 Hour War.
darn those Stormcloaks to oblivion! I'll makde sure they'll get what's coming to them, if it's the last thing i do
OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
Quote by Dwight.Schrute
I don't know nearly enough about it, but did WW I start primarily from merely a complex array of alliances?

Pretty much. Basically the rulers of all the major European powers (who were mostly interrelated/interbred with each other) wanted a war for a decade or so, formed lots of ridiculous treaties and alliances and then just waited for the spark to light the fuse. Fraz Ferdinand was assassinated by Serbians, Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, France declared war on Austria-Hungary who had already formed alliances with Germany, who then tried to invade France via Belgium, who had formed treaties with Britain and so on. Ridiculous.
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
The Thousand-Hour Thumb War.

The casualties were so small you could count them on your hand...

OT:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Zanzibar_War

It's the shortest war in history. I don't know much about it, but you could use it, not as an example of wars started for abritrary things but, for wars that were quite arbitrary in themselves.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by Zoot Allures
Every war ever fought in history.

And here we gooooooooooooo
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo by the Black Hand group sort of sparked the whole of the 1st world war as it led to many different alliances being formed.

EDIT: Thinking about it, the majority of wars have been started by jumping to conclusions and idiotic and childish reactions.
Check out my fitness blog here
Most, if not all of them.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by maiden_man_666
The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo by the Black Hand group sort of sparked the whole of the 1st world war as it led to many different alliances being formed.

EDIT: Thinking about it, the majority of wars have been started by jumping to conclusions and idiotic and childish reactions.

Alliances came before the assassination.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Wait, I misread. Thought you asked about questionable reasons to fight, not start. If you're talking, start, then a shit-ton of history - a war is a big thing to justify, and hindsight has 20/20 that few people have at the time.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by Dwight.Schrute

If by complex array of alliances you mean sandwich, yes.
Quote by kraftmacaroni
war of jenkins ear. look it up. funny stuff.

Came in here to say this
Quote by solo_freak
Alliances came before the assassination.

Oh yeah and then the assassination was the "spark" as my old history teacher called it, which caused them all to start attacking each other
All war is questionable, but I don't care: I ain't winning no Nobel Peace Prize
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by ChamsRock
War of the Bucket.It's known as the Football War or the 100 Hour War.

Quote by kraftmacaroni
war of jenkins ear

Quote by due 07
The Pig War

Likely choices, thanks.

Quote by Crazyedd123
The Thousand-Hour Thumb War. The casualties were so small you could count them on your hand...

I spent like 10 minutes trying to find this before I realized it was a joke. XD
The Anglo-Zanzibar War could be useful though, thanks.
Did you guys have the "Children's Almanach" as kids, too? I swear most of these wars were listed in that book under "ridiculous wars"
ww2 lebensraum for the "master race." a calculated genocide against pretty much anyone without "pure blood"
Quote by necrosis1193
Wait, I misread. Thought you asked about questionable reasons to fight, not start. If you're talking, start, then a shit-ton of history - a war is a big thing to justify, and hindsight has 20/20 that few people have at the time.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. A lot of these strange wars, though, have a lot of background with extreme tension being broken at the point of a small event, so some of them can be rationalized that way.
Quote by Fullmetalzawa
Likely choices, thanks.

I spent like 10 minutes trying to find this before I realized it was a joke. XD
The Anglo-Zanzibar War could be useful though, thanks.

I actually thought the others you quoted were jokes.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by maiden_man_666

you really need to read up on your history and get past 7th grade world history. at least when it comes to WWI
Last edited by ironman1478 at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by Dreadnought
All war is questionable, but I don't care: I ain't winning no Nobel Peace Prize

Famous last words.

“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Fullmetalzawa
Hey Pit,
I'm writing an essay, and I need the names of some wars (any time period/country) that have the most weird or funny reasons for starting. I know the most obvious one is the war in Iraq (WMD's/oil, really?) but there's a conservative girl in my class who has military relatives and I don't want to piss her off more than I already have.

All wars have questionable motives.

People question Iraq claiming that it was a war for oil, but they ignore the fact that we have not invaded Venezuela.

So really, what was your motive for starting this thread?

You just wanted to start shit, didn't you?

See how it works?
The Falklands war was pretty idiotic. Argentina 'invaded' an island off the coast of Argentina populated almost exclusively by sheep. Britain then attacked the Falklands to reclaim it (look at a world map to see how retarded it is that it was considered a British island. Many people died, Britain won. We reclaimed 'our' island that's thousands of miles away and will never have any impact on any British person. Sweet.
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Crazyedd123
I actually thought the others you quoted were jokes.

Well, my essay is going to be a joke, so it's all good.

Quote by maiden_man_666

I wonder what the thesis of my essay is....
Last edited by Fullmetalzawa at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by seabear70
All wars have questionable motives.

People question Iraq claiming that it was a war for oil, but they ignore the fact that we have not invaded Venezuela.

So really, what was your motive for starting this thread?

You just wanted to start shit, didn't you?

See how it works?

Quote by seabear70

Seem like you're ignoring the fact that America has had problems with the Middle East in general and are just finding reasons to assert Western dominance there?
If it was just for the sole purpose of oil, we would have invaded Canada.

Okay, let me start my essay, lol.
Quote by Fullmetalzawa
Seem like you're ignoring the fact that America has had problems with the Middle East in general and are just finding reasons to assert Western dominance there?
If it was just for the sole purpose of oil, we would have invaded Canada.

Okay, let me start my essay, lol.

Actually, America's problems with Muslims go back further than you think. I could mention how Columbus was searching for a route around the Muslim genocide of Hindus in India when he found the West Indies. (Free clue, he wasn't aiming for India, that's not where the term Indian comes from.)

But for something you might accept, you might want to investigate the Philippine American War. I suppose you will consider that to be a history of American meddling in other countries affairs, but that's because you lack a basic knowledge of history, and have been taught that that is acceptable when judging people that can't defend themselves because they are long dead.
Quote by ironman1478
you really need to read up on your history and get past 7th grade world history. at least when it comes to WWI

I have no idea what 7th grade is.

Stop living in the past, bitch.

Quote by seabear70
(Free clue, he wasn't aiming for India, that's not where the term Indian comes from.)

Wat?

I thought that's exactly where the term "indian" came from. The tried to find a way to India and China....They didn't however. They found the "west Indies"
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by Zoot Allures
Every war ever fought in history.

Came to post this.
It had already been posted.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by Fat Lard
If by complex array of alliances you mean sandwich, yes.

Someone's read Cracked.
Page 1 of 2