What all do I need to record some songs? I know I need mics for drum set, but what type of software am I looking at buying, and how much will everything cost most likely?
theres some all in one recorders that you can master songs with. so for "decent" quality you dont necessarily need any software
This is such a broad question. What are you looking to record? What style? What instruments? Do you want to record live or overdub? Are you going to mic instruments or di them?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
What do you consider decent really?

I have a Presonus Firestudio and a mac with Logic + a handful of microphones and I can get some beyond decent quality but that's talking close to 5 grand right there.

At the simplest level you need a good interface, that's a really important part of a cheaper signal chain.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Yeah, you really need to tell us what you need your recording rig to do now, what you will probably want it to do in the future, and how much you intend to spend.

Money is always the limiting factor, and how you measure "decent" is always going to be an evaluation of your purpose for the recording (please tell us that too!) and your budget.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.