I've added Pebber Browns 14 Position Maj/min arpeggio's to my daily 10 hour wood-shed. I've spent a good deal working on sweeps/eco piking for these arpeggio shapes. Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately...idk) I just realized that I can rip these suckers twice as fast by using straight alternate picking.
D_______________| U_______________|
e|------------------------13-17p13----------------------|
B|---------------------15-----------15-------------------|
G|--------------10/14-----------------14\10------------|
D|-----------12-------------------------------12---------|
A|--------12-------------------------------------12------|
E|-10h13-------------------------------------------13---|

This is how sweep arpegios should look (w/brush-strokes & legato)

----For some odd reason I play stuff like the arpeggio above significantly more fluid/fast when I dont use any legatto and just straight alt pick...Franky, this doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me

The really weird part of this, is that there are things that I know are meant to be
eco-picked/sweeped through...but when I alt pick it, it is way faster and accurate.
....A particularly weird manifestation of the phenomenon occurred when I was polishing this particular passage from Jordan.

|-----------------------------------16-------|
|-------------------------16---15-----------|
|----------------16---15---14--------------|
|-------16---15---14-----------------------|
|----15---14--------------ect--------------|
|-14-----------------------------------------|
Depending on the speed of the second one, I would alt pick it too. As for the first example, maybe it's the slides in the middle that mess with your ability to sweep it? Unless of course you have this problem with regular sweep patterns too.
diff'rent [pick] strokes for diff'rent folks
modes are a social construct
Diab, you are on the right track :P and damn i jealous, i only manage to squeeze 8 hours.

Im on the same train though, my alternate is my little beast and only lately i have been naturally drifting towards economy and sweeping..

however it is just a matter of time till your others styles catch up, your alternate is still too good compared to your sweeping, it may be faster for the time being but physics dont lie, the shortest distance is achieved through sweeping.

unrelated schtuff: the other day something started bothering me.. why even bother picking the notes when sweeping when one could legato all the way through and use the right hand for all the muting :P will see what i can develop.. maybe next year :P
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Quote by Slashiepie

unrelated schtuff: the other day something started bothering me.. why even bother picking the notes when sweeping when one could legato all the way through and use the right hand for all the muting :P will see what i can develop.. maybe next year :P

8-finger taps, get on it.
modes are a social construct