keepin this short, am intermediate guitar player looking to increase my lick library and improve phrasing and space , am aware theres alot of lick videos on u tube n stuff but alot of them are too much, am looking to start with basic licks then work my way up,
"its not the destination.... so much as the journey" one once said
Last edited by Marqway at Jan 8, 2012,
lol trying to apply some of them are
I think the best way is to break solo's down from well known artists and try to understand the subtelties of them. As easy as a lot of AC/DC songs are, some of the solo's use some very interesting licks and phrases that are better than people give them credit for. The solo from something like Girls got Rhythm for example is very well put together and has some groove to it that makes it slightly more difficult to fully master.

Appreciating the subtleties of easy solo's is a surprisingly good way to get better.
Learning solos by ear will develop your sense of phrasing and melody by epic proportions.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Why don't you make your own?

This.

Quote by DiminishedFifth
Or just don't use licks. They're practically useless anyways.

HAHAHA.. Ok.

Come up with stuff you think is cool.. It gives you your own sound and style rather than recycling what everybody else does. Go learn some scales, develop your licks from said scales.

Quote by Zeppelin Addict
Go learn some scales, develop your licks from said scales

HAHAHAHA
modes are a social construct
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
Go learn some scales, develop your licks from said scales.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Furthermore, if you're not doing this right now you're effectively coming from a copy/paste approach to soloing, and have little-no understanding of why the "licks" work. It would be a stretch to call yourself an "intermediate" guitarist.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by mrbabo91
Learning solos by ear will develop your sense of phrasing and melody by epic proportions.

+1

I'll post more in a while.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by ouchies
The best way for me is to play a short phrase and scale. Stop for a second and complete the lick in your head and just add onto the lick. You can come up with infinite variations for a basic lick, and after a while those will evolve to not even resemble the original lick

also +1
#DTWD
Quote by Marqway
keepin this short, am intermediate guitar player looking to increase my lick library and improve phrasing and space , am aware theres alot of lick videos on u tube n stuff but alot of them are too much, am looking to start with basic licks then work my way up,

learn scale sequences. they are basically numeric groupings to play a scale with and a lot of licks use these. a lot of long licks or fast runs use these all the time. the key is mixing them up. so instead of just going up and down a scale in groups of 4, try mixing in groups of 3, or 6, or 5. reapeat parts too.

this all being said, just study your heros. you hear a lick you like, try to learn it. try applying that fingering to a different position on the neck to try and see if it works well in other places with other notes. most licks can. try altering the lick by repeating a part or adding or subtracting notes.

if you are looking for "showy" licks, then i cant really help you because i dont really know any.
Quote by ouchies
The best way for me is to play a short phrase and scale. Stop for a second and complete the lick in your head and just add onto the lick. You can come up with infinite variations for a basic lick, and after a while those will evolve to not even resemble the original lick

That works.
Right, guess i better get started ,very helpful
Quote by Sean0913
Get 66 Licks.

Best,

Sean

I paid 200 dollars for 66 licks one time.... I was passed out for the last 8....
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Why don't you make your own? Or just don't use licks. They're practically useless anyways.

I'm not sure exactly if they're "useless", you definitely don't want your solo to sound like cut-and-paste from a textbook of licks, but that's generally how they sound when someone starts soloing. I recall when I started I threw the Chuck Berry Johnny B Good lick into absolutely everything I played.

Times have changed though (perhaps not for Santana who grew err backwards and now sounds like a guitarist imitating Santana) and I like to just crank out whatever sound I think will sound good. There is sometimes some reverting to "licks", just because I like the sound, and I want to stick the sound of that lick into a certain part of music. I guess the result is that licks are still employed to a certain extent, and between them is fleshing out a melody.

So yeah, useless? Maybe. Still crank out that Johnny B Goode lick though sometimes
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I'm not sure exactly if they're "useless", you definitely don't want your solo to sound like cut-and-paste from a textbook of licks, but that's generally how they sound when someone starts soloing. I recall when I started I threw the Chuck Berry Johnny B Good lick into absolutely everything I played.

Times have changed though (perhaps not for Santana who grew err backwards and now sounds like a guitarist imitating Santana) and I like to just crank out whatever sound I think will sound good. There is sometimes some reverting to "licks", just because I like the sound, and I want to stick the sound of that lick into a certain part of music. I guess the result is that licks are still employed to a certain extent, and between them is fleshing out a melody.

So yeah, useless? Maybe. Still crank out that Johnny B Goode lick though sometimes

lol
Quote by AlanHB

The only time I ever use any licks (and I've only got one that I do, despite my efforts to "unlearn" it ) is if I need a place-holder while I imagine my next line or the next shape I want my solo to take... or if I forget what chord I'm on

I think they have their place in that they allow a beginner soloist to learn the fretboard and it can teach them about moving shapes around the fretboard with chords... but that's as far as it goes. Far too often you see people relying on licks with a couple actual "original" lines thrown inbetween. Or the licks sound fantastic, but all the "original" material is shoddy at best (and you've heard the same lick 1000x before in separate keys).

I guess I just got to a certain point in my soloing that licks are far less important than they once were, despite never being important to me in the first place. Their use is just gone to me.

I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at
I'm sure you play many licks, you're just not aware of it. every person is a creature of habit.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
I'm sure you play many licks, you're just not aware of it. every person is a creature of habit.

Yeah, but is it really a lick if I'm not committing it to memory to reuse over and over again whenever I need it?
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Yeah, but is it really a lick if I'm not committing it to memory to reuse over and over again whenever I need it?

Your avatar is creepy with that ball and mustache...

But on topic! Depends, if it's the same old stuff used over and over from your muscle memory or do you expand, add, subtract from it each time you use it
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Marqway

Have you thought about learning, ideally transcribing by ear, solos from other instruments? Like sax?

They way other instrumentalist phrase will help you break out of the box of typical fingerings, idiosyncratic to the guitar.

I recently transcribed the sax solo to Something Got Me Started by Simply Red. It helps if you like that sort of music as well, like me.
i think thats a good idea, listening to other instruments could be helpful

i had this vid of me improvising but am almost embarrased to post it on here lol (intermediate player n all)