Hey dudes and dudettes, I have a rocker 30 and an ad30, recently retubed them both. The rocker is my main amp.

The ad hasn't been working for a couple years until I retubed it recently. I haven't really used it since it was retubed but it seemed to be working perfectly fine, ready for when I needed it. I had some weird problems with my rocker today which was basically the amps volume either dipping ever so slightly or from going from its normal bright sound to very muddy.

I then switched to the ad 30 to find that only one channel was working correctly which is very odd seeing as it hasnt been used in about at least a month and it was working fine then.

I then reverted back to the rocker 30 without my pedals plugged in and it seemed to be functioning fine.

Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem with either amp? Seems very odd to me seeing as they have both been retubed recently and until now had been working fine =/ HEEEELP!
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
how is the power suply in your house?
Just because tubes are new, it doesn't mean they cant fail imediately. You may have a preamp tube that is bad in the AD, try some of the old pre-amp tubes in place one at a time.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I see you have an old Vampower cab, how do you like it? I know that Vampower are pretty damn rare.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
First thing in the morning i'ma try that out Robb! Thanks for the reply My band jam in one of my dad's garages, I have wondered if it could be something to do with the power, may try bringing my amps in the house and see if they work then. Really buggin' me seeing as they only got replaced recently, really don't want to have to go to a tech!

And to answer your question, I bought the cab with no speakers in it around August last year off ebay for £100, haven't had the money to put speakers in it since sadly haha I'm hoping to get some money soon to sort it out soon, can finally use both amps with both cabs then providing both amps decide to work correctly! Still undecided on what speakers to put in it, have debated just sticking more Vintage 30's in there but I may get something different to my orange cabs speakers, I think it'd be a bit pointless putting the same speakers in it!
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Is it your cables?

You said that without your pedals it was fine, so it could well be a problem on your pedalboard somewhere. Check all the variables, add one pedal at a time, change cables, before you assume it's the amps.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I did think it could have been that Ben but I used the same kettle plug and amp lead for both heads when I swapped them over, and when I went back to the rocker after playing with it with just my guitar I re-added the pedals and it seemed fine which was very odd =/ I should give it a proper check with what you said though really just incase even though im doubtful that was the problem
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

It's highly likely it's not, just best to know exactly what it is.

Although it could be a cable issue. Cables can cause all kinds of strange shit like that to happen. I had something like that when my first Bullet cable died on me, everything was right muffled until I fiddled with it.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Haha that sucks, I try good care of my cables but I''ll try a spare I have. Wish I could try stuff out now but with it being past midnight It's gonna have to wait! I've got a gig wednesday so lets hope it's nothing major!
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Threadjack: Is your AD30 the two channel version? How do you like the cleans?

I wants me an AD30...
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

The volume dipping and muddy tones are indicative of worn tubes. This is something you usually see with power tubes.
Quote by mcraddict81592
Threadjack: Is your AD30 the two channel version? How do you like the cleans?

I wants me an AD30...

Sorry TS for off-topic reply but:

I've got a single channel AD30 and it's a beaut
Check out my fitness blog here
mcraddict: I've had the AD30 for a long time now so it's the older model without the slanted knobs, I swapped to the rocker 'cos at the time it was the overdrive tones I wanted which the AD30 lacked. In short to answer your question In my opinion I think it's got amazing cleans haha I would highly recommend it anyway, go try one out!

KG6: It's nowhere as bad as it was before I completely retubed it, I should have changed what I said really, it's more a tonal change I guess than a volume dip, it's not a constant muddyness, one second its nice and bright the next second it dulls down, my guess is either the power in the room is dodgy, some of the tubes are going funny or maybe something else in the amp itself.
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

mcraddict: Two channel's btw! I didnt even know there was a single channel version haha
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

That's deffo what i'm thinking monkey! I'll be bringing my amps in the house shortly to check them out, i'll post my findings in a bit!
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

I found using contact cleaner in my amp's inputs, fx loop and speaker outs helped with sketchiness in my old amp. It's cheap and it's worth a shot. I used the contact cleaner and q-tips and I got a lot of dust and grime out.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
I shall have to try the contact cleaner method, its worth a shot!

I retubed the whole amp so every tube is new. I looked took the back off and looked at the tubes when they were glowing, I may be wrong but two of the preamp tubes didnt look as quite as bright as the other two. But I may be wrong on that.

Is it worth me trying two tubes that are in my rocker in the AD30 to see if that makes a difference or would I risk damaging them too somehow by putting them in a different amp?
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Yeah contact cleaner works wonders.

Did you retube the amp yourself?

Does your amp require any manual biasing?

Preamp tubes don't always glow the same brightness - I wouldn't worry about it.

Are the tubes in the power tubes in the Rocker the same? Need some detail here, but yes that might be worth a shot.
sorry i got that wrong its the outpu tubes that i thought may not be glowing as brightly
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

My AD 30 has 4 12ax7's in the preamp stage, 4 EL84's in the output stage and 1 GZ34 rectifier tube. I checked with a few sources online including the orange forums and both the rocker 30 and ad30 do not need to be rebiased so I just retubed it myself. I didnt touch the tubes with my fingers as I know that can damage them.
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Quote by maiden_man_666
Sorry TS for off-topic reply but:

I've got a single channel AD30 and it's a beaut

Lucky bastard, they're so hard to find now.

Might just bite the bullet and snag one of the new OR50's.

@qotsakyuss: Thanks for the review, I keep arguing with myself if I need another amp that can do cleans...
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I'll fish out one of the old tubes and put that in and see if it makes a difference, ill try the pencil technique now too!

MCRAddict: Get one! you wont regret it
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Hmmmm did the pencil thing, none of the tubes sounded dodgy to me, need to get a hold of some contact cleaner now even though i dont quite get how that would be the problem, id have thought that would effect both channels a not just one but hey im out of ideas here! lol may be a job for a techy
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Quote by qotsakyuss
My AD 30 has 4 12ax7's in the preamp stage, 4 EL84's in the output stage and 1 GZ34 rectifier tube. I checked with a few sources online including the orange forums and both the rocker 30 and ad30 do not need to be rebiased so I just retubed it myself. I didnt touch the tubes with my fingers as I know that can damage them.

The Rocker does not use EL84s though right?

You can't damage a tube by touching it with your skin - that is a myth. You may burn yourself a bit if it is hot but that is it.

Yeah - I'm just trying to give you as many things to try before needing to take it to an amp tech. You're right, contact cleaner is not going to help an amp that is only working on one channel. Generally, that is true. The preamp tubes are basically your gain stages though. Maybe try swapping some of those things around. I'll reread the OP and thread but are the channels footswitchable?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 12, 2012,
Haha i'll be telling the guys in my local music shops about that then! They said it was due to oils on your fingers apparantly lol anyway back to topic...

You are correct, they both use 12ax7's but one has EL84's and the other has EL34's

Good shout for swapping the tubes. I will try that too

They are both foot switchable ables too!
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

^ Yeah you won't be able to swap power tubes between amps.

You CAN swap the power tubes around (great time to use some contact cleaner) within each amp.

I did reread the OP. Personally, I'd clean that up a bit as it was kind of confusing. Lets just talk about one amp for now. The AD30. Maybe we talk about the Rocker later.

Have you tried 'bring the amp' into your house as you say to see if the power might be the problem? Where is the amp now? Is the amp isolated to its own outlet? What brand of power tubes does it have? Are there any markings or numbers on them?

When you say one channel is dull which channel is that? So it works it is just dull? How dull? Like 50%? 90%?

Quote by qotsakyuss
Haha i'll be telling the guys in my local music shops about that then! They said it was due to oils on your fingers apparantly lol anyway back to topic...

They are idiots. Oil on you skin will not hurt the tubes even if the tubes are super hot. That is a myth. Halogen bulbs like you put in your car - yes, you are not supposed to touch those. I'm starting to wonder what kind of power tubes they used and whether or not they were 'matched'. My guess is they were not.

Your Rocker may have similar problems I'm just trying to isolate things for now.

PS: I'm not an amp tech. Maybe someone that builds amps has a better idea like Cathbard, CECamps, AcousticMirror, etc.

So summary:

Check cables/guitar
Check footswitch
Check power tubes/bias
Check preamp tubes/microphonics
Check house power

clean up your OP. the 2 amp discussion thing is confusing. maybe update your OP with the things you've ruled out so far. Otherwise take it to a (new) amp tech.
I heard that if you put a yellow stripe on a Tiny Terror, it stops working and attracts trolls.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.