Okay I have been playing guitar for only 9 months now I think I am pretty decent but I play everyday for a few hours to 5 hours,<--- That is kind of irrelevant sorry. Anyways I've been playing an acoustic guitar until now. I bought a used fender squier affinity Strat, say what you want about fender but I like them.I noticed that the guitar arrived in my city and will be delivered tomorrow. I ran out of money because I bought the guitar, new strings (Ernie ball 10-46) and a tuner even though I can tune by ear. I am 17 and I need to buy a amp and 1/4 guitar cable. To save me and my dad some money I would like to know if any of you know a good amp for maybe something under $50, I only play in my room, and will probably use headphones most of the time so quality is preferred over loudness. I heard you shouldnt go cheap with an amp. I want something that sounds good or decent but is affordable but isn't absolutely terrible. Thanks

-I live in Michigan
-I definitely am going to buy used unless there is a small price difference
-I mostly play rock I like nirvana ALOT, I also enjoy classical rock and some metal.
Last edited by Jalenxt at Jan 8, 2012,
Jesus.. under 50$??? Thats going to be pretty hard. You should definately get a modeling amp. I personally think this is the best option for a new electric guitar player because they are extremely versatile and will help you find out what kind of music you want to play. My first amp was a Line 6 Spider IV. Contrary to (extremely) popular belief, you can find a couple tones worth the money in that amp. I got mine for about $90. If you have an absolute budget of $50, I recommend saving up. Honestly, you won't get crap for $50. Or at least you won't get anything that you won't regret buying after a week. How much was the tuner? The Spider IV 15 watt combo ($90) has a built-in tuner.
@Above me
An Amplug? Lol. I was actually gonna recommend that, but I don't think that's the best first amp choice. Especially since it's battery-powered... If you plan on traveling a lot with your guitar, it would be pretty smart to get it. If not, I wouldn't.

EDIT
Oh, and when you heard you shouldn't go cheap with amps, you heard correctly... only "cheap" isn't $50. Cheap could be $100, $200, $300, $400, $500, etc. If you want an amp that will last, you should save up. If you want a temporary amp, save about 100-150 to buy something semi-decent. The Spider lasted me 2 years, but I was unhappy with it after about a year.
Last edited by StratR96 at Jan 8, 2012,
Peavy Vypyr or Fender Mustang I are affordable but quality beginner amps, plus you get a good range of tones for varied playing styles (until you get one down).
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
if you have headphones an amplug is a good bet - it connects from guitar to heaphones and simulates an amp without the noise!
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
dont get one with an 8 inch speaker it will get old fast.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I found a used fender frontman 15g amp for a good price but I will only be playing in my room anyways loudness isn't needed. The plug and play isn't really something I am looking for but it would be good to have when I go to a friends or im on vacation. feel free to leave more suggestions.
don't get the fender frontman, here are the amps you need to check out
Roland Cube
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
For $50, the Vox ampplug is your best bet.

The AC30 model will get you what you want.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
id go with the roland, i used to have it. i liked it better than the vyoyr.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Well I am gonna go to the 2 pawnshops in my city tomorrow, and bring my guitar maybe they will let me play it with some of their amps so I can test it out. If I don't like anything they have to offer, then I will look online for something.
I suggest that you save up some though. 50 won't get you far
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Update I am getting a Peavey vyper 30 tomorrow. Quite expensive but I heard it has built in effects so I wont have to buy some pedals and it sounds great so excited. Thanks again everyone for you advice.
get an irig if u have a iphone or itouch, if u have a computer get a used guitar interface. Also there are tons of used roland micro cubes for abut $50 used at guitar center. I would get one of those. I used to have a fender frontman 15r as my 2nd amp, it was an upgrade from a shitty no name $5 amp. The only thing nice about that amp was the clean channel and spring reverb the distortion was horrible. It doesnt get much love but its not a bad starter amp and not a bad clean channel amp either, also has headphone out. I wouldnt pay more than $30 for it tho.

I recommend maybe playing ur acoustic for a while, or playing ur electric through some cheap ass beat up amp. Save up maybe a few mnths and get a used fender champ 600. The champ is a real tube amp that sounds great and will last you a lifetime, Its one of thsoe amps that has great tones and i would keep it in my house for pretty much ever.
Last edited by stratplyr at Jan 12, 2012,
Thanks but I just posted earlier that I have made up my mind and in my opinion the "Peavey vypyr 30" is better but thanks anyways. The Peavey vypyr 30 has built in effects alot of them..
Quote by NosralTserrof
Sure thing bro.

I have the 15. Great practice amp.

How is the chorus on that. My favorite effect is chorus.. so far. I just wanted to know if it was good or should I still buy a pedal that sounds better.
Quote by Jalenxt
How is the chorus on that. My favorite effect is chorus.. so far. I just wanted to know if it was good or should I still buy a pedal that sounds better.

You probably wont notice that much difference in the amp's chorus and a pedal yet. When i had the vypyr it sounded good. Not that much different sounding than my small clone chorus.
Plus, youd need to shell out another 50-100 bucks for a pedal
I'd suggest looking for a used Roland Micro Cube. Actually saw a guy selling one near me on Craigslist not long ago for $50.