I'm looking at two different USED Mesa's, both are pretty good deals. Ultimately I am looking for an amp with an incredible clean and light distortion tone (high quality hi fuzz channel would be nice, but not a must have).

option A): Mesa Boogie Express- only two years old, bought locally, I have played it and it sounds very nice, looks like its in perfect condition. the guys is asking 800 (1300 used, 50 watt).

option B) Mesa boogie blue angle. this one is an hour away so I havent played it, it is over a decade old but the guys says that it is "the best amp mesa has ever made". Talk is cheap but this thing is only 600. I'm not sure if I trust an amp that was made in the 90's (although I hear that mesa's are built well). Are blue angels really that great?

I'm leaning towards the express for obvious reason, and I know that there is no "right" answer. but what do you guys think? experiences?
I have a mesa 412 from the 90s and mines still going strong.

The express will have all those neat features mesa now like to jam full in amps while i believe the blue angel will be more bare bones.

And please correct me if i am wrong but isnt the blue angel part of the recto line too?
Quote by Seanthesheep
I have a mesa 412 from the 90s and mines still going strong.

The express will have all those neat features mesa now like to jam full in amps while i believe the blue angel will be more bare bones.

And please correct me if i am wrong but isnt the blue angel part of the recto line too?

If this is true, I'd go with the Blue Angle, it'll get a fuzzier tone easier. And being from the 90's, the worst it might need is the filter caps replaced...but that's common on all older tube amps.
Also the blue angel is a pretty rare amp IIRC. Saw one in a local store once, but thats pretty much it from me.

Try asking at the boogie boards too, theres alot of information there about older mesas (not trying to come off as im adversting)
Blue angels are supposed to be very nice amps, and for 600 you can't go wrong. If you really like the express sound look for an f50 or f30, twice the balls and not nearly as expensive.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I don't think the blue angels share that much in common with the rest of the rectifier lineup.
I think it's a low gain amp so it might suit you better than the express.
The express [from my knowledge] basically replaced the f series . Therefor I'd assume it would more of a hard rock/classic metal amp. Don't get me wrong - my f30 has great cleans; and the lower gain sounds definitely aren't bad [although I prefer more marshally low gain sounds].
But I think the blue angel is more suited to the lower gain, and will do it better.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
I don't think the blue angels share that much in common with the rest of the rectifier lineup.
I think it's a low gain amp so it might suit you better than the express.
The express [from my knowledge] basically replaced the f series . Therefor I'd assume it would more of a hard rock/classic metal amp. Don't get me wrong - my f30 has great cleans; and the lower gain sounds definitely aren't bad [although I prefer more marshally low gain sounds].
But I think the blue angel is more suited to the lower gain, and will do it better.

I'd tend to agree, used to have an F30. Super nice amp, but definitely leaning more towards the high gain department.

I think the Blue angels were supposed to be something like dumble clones, though I might be mistaken and totally off the mark. I do know they're a lower gain sort of amp though, and probably better suited to what you're after.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not