Hello everybody, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this question.
I've been playing for little more than a year now, and lately I have been experiancing pain in my inner elbow. I play thrash metal, so I have to pick quite fast. Could the pain just be a rarely used muscle and if so are there any ways to strengthen that part of my arm or could it be something medical that I should hyperventilate over? Any and all answers are most appreciated
I don't think i can answer this without being overly sarcastic.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by mike_oxbig
I don't think i can answer this without being overly sarcastic.

+1
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
I'm extremely sorry that you don't find my question to suite your needs. So, so sorry. I'll just google it. Thank you, helpful people of ultimate-guitar.com, where you can't ask a little question without getting BS.
Quote by NoiseMaker97
I'm extremely sorry that you don't find my question to suite your needs. So, so sorry. I'll just google it. Thank you, helpful people of ultimate-guitar.com, where you can't ask a little question without getting BS.

well it's a guitar site, not web md.

but yes, i can tell you that it's an issue and that
if you notice it occurs after practice you might want to take a break
and ice the elbow.

make sure the guitar is at a good height.

and see a doc, if the elbow seems red, swollen, or continues to hurt long
after stopping.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by NoiseMaker97

Sorry but it seemed like anyone with a basic understanding of human anatomy would be shaking their head at your question. Go to a physical trainer and ask him for some elbow workouts, see what he has to say about it.

There are no elbow muscles. Your elbow is cartilage and tendon. Try stretching. But if you're hyper extending your elbow while playing guitar, you're doing something really fking wrong.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by mike_oxbig
Sorry but it seemed like anyone with a basic understanding of human anatomy would be shaking their head at your question. Go to a physical trainer and ask him for some elbow workouts, see what he has to say about it.

There are no elbow muscles. Your elbow is cartilage and tendon. Try stretching. But if you're hyper extending your elbow while playing guitar, you're doing something really fking wrong.

He's trying those Van Halen windmills...
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
we're not doctors here (apologies to any UG members who happen to be doctors), so we probably aren't the best source of advice.

if your're regularly experiencing acute pain, that being pain which has an isolated location, and it is typically associated with particular activities, go see a doctor. it could be something as minor as modifying how you sit, it could be more serious. see a doc, and you'll be best off regardless of what they tell you (clear conscience if its nothing, treatment if its something).
So many posts, so little advice.

Good chance its tendonitis (tenis elbow).
I get it myself quite often, to stretch those you gotta hold your arm straight out horizontal with the ground. Bend hand up and pull back on your fingers.
Bend down but pull just above the wrist.
Ice helps too and any anti inflammatory.
Are you picking from the elbow or the wrist? You should be picking from your wrist and your elbow should move minimally while playing guitar.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
So many posts, so little advice.

Good chance its tendonitis (tenis elbow).
I get it myself quite often, to stretch those you gotta hold your arm straight out horizontal with the ground. Bend hand up and pull back on your fingers.
Bend down but pull just above the wrist.
Ice helps too and any anti inflammatory.

as a person who has tendonitis, i can assure you that wrist bends
arent going to fix the issue.

if he has a pain issue, he should check his guitar height and posture.

he can ice pain, and see a doctor if it doesnt resolve.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

this isn't something you seek advice for on an internet guitar forum.

you have pain from playing. that is not normal. go see a doctor. some things can cause irreparable damage if not treated right.

quite a few people in my family are in health care, my mom is in orthopedics. she does operations on things similar to that almost on a daily basis.

i am not saying you would need an operation or anything like that, but some of those people who went under the knife possibly could have avoided it by seeing a doctor, or physical therapy, etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by jj1565
as a person who has tendonitis, i can assure you that wrist bends
arent going to fix the issue.

if he has a pain issue, he should check his guitar height and posture.

he can ice pain, and see a doctor if it doesnt resolve.

Sorry jenny, i disagree on the wrist thing. The tendons are stretched in the forearm/elbow with that stretch. Try it, you'll feel it. 2 doctors, a chiropractor and a massage therapist cant be wrong. Theres also a spot on the back of the elbow you can apply pressure to the tendon to stretch it even more during said stretches.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Sorry jenny, i disagree on the wrist thing. The tendons are stretched in the forearm/elbow with that stretch. Try it, you'll feel it. 2 doctors, a chiropractor and a massage therapist cant be wrong. Theres also a spot on the back of the elbow you can apply pressure to the tendon to stretch it even more during said stretches.

believe me, i know exactly what you're talking about.
pt rounds, shots, many docs, and operations later...

what i mean, and i'm sure you can agree, if he really does have tendon issues, then bending his wrist isnt going to "correct" his issue.
it's going to be ongoing and in that case, he should get going to the doc, and get a proper pt script.

if it's a posture, guitar height issue, then ice will help and
he can resolve this by raising his guitar off the floor.

( sorry, TS just guessing)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62