Hey guys, it's been some time since I've posted on this site.
I'm currently in discussion for a trade. My fender hot rod deville (410) for a sovtek mig-60 with a 412 fender cab I believe.

I play hardcore in the vein of Rotting Out and Down to Nothing as well as traditional screamo/emo in the vein of I Hate Myself or Cap'n Jazz. These are both gigging/touring bands.

I've done my research and I've noticed it's worth a tad less than I can sell my fender for. But I've also noticed mixed things about it and I want more opinions on this before I set up a tryout myself. I am a fan of the marshall sound but I'm worried about loudness, and if there's enough gain on it for this type of hardcore, but can get enough headroom to get a cleaner crunch sound for the emo/screamo music.

I know the rule of thumb is you can't get a jack of all trades for cheap, but my only other option is to sell the fender and try and get my hands on a high gain peavey for a temporary amp until I save up more for something I truly want.
Last edited by l3p4rd at Jan 8, 2012,
That's a good trade if you ask me. The MIG is supposed to be quite like a JCM 800, and if you find it doesn't get enough gain, you can always boost it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Try it.

Yes, the Mig 60 is like a JCM 800.

I have a Mig 50 which is more a tweed Bassman/ JTM45 type circuit.
I've also come across a JCM 2000 DSL that somebody is interested in trading for the Deville. I love those amps but the other guitar player in both of those bands that I'm in also plays a JCM 2000 DSL. But he uses an ESP with active pickups and I'll be using a blacktop telecaster, as well as a different cab. I'm thinking this is the better option, what's the popular opinion?
If you need squeaky cleans, then the JCM 2000 will be better. The MIG will likely have better dirt, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The Sovtek would really be loud enough to handle say, an outdoor show where it's not mic'd and kids are pushed right up against the band? The kids in the back would still be able to hear the sovtek?
Quote by l3p4rd
The Sovtek would really be loud enough to handle say, an outdoor show where it's not mic'd and kids are pushed right up against the band? The kids in the back would still be able to hear the sovtek?

Yes. And then some.

FYI-

A 100w head is not twice as loud as a 50w head. The volume difference is not measured that way.

FWIW-

Why worry about sound projection at an outdoor show where there is obviously no PA for the band? Especially when it is a thrash show? Won't there be a mosh pit?

I do not think the target audience is going to be that critical of the quality of sound reinforcement.
i have only gotten to play through a MIG once, don't remember what model, or what cab, but i remember going home afterward and looking them up. i like them.

what fender cab does he have though?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by irnmadn88
Yes. And then some.

FYI-

A 100w head is not twice as loud as a 50w head. The volume difference is not measured that way.

FWIW-

Why worry about sound projection at an outdoor show where there is obviously no PA for the band? Especially when it is a thrash show? Won't there be a mosh pit?

I do not think the target audience is going to be that critical of the quality of sound reinforcement.

There would be a PA, just not amps being mic'd up. I'm aware the difference is not measured that way, but different amps take different volumes. I've played a JCM 800 50 watt head that couldn't hold it's own against my 60 watt deville. That's my big concern. In hardcore you want that nice wall of sound so kids get really pumped. I don't even know what wattage the sovtek is in the first place. I've searched around but never got a clear answer on that.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have only gotten to play through a MIG once, don't remember what model, or what cab, but i remember going home afterward and looking them up. i like them.

what fender cab does he have though?

I'm not really sure. I was just told it's a fender 412. I haven't been able to talk to the kid too much. What are some to stay away from? Fender cabs are something I've never looked into as I was always a been combo amp fan.
Last edited by l3p4rd at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by l3p4rd
I'm not really sure. I was just told it's a fender 412. I haven't been able to talk to the kid too much. What are some to stay away from? Fender cabs are something I've never looked into as I was always a been combo amp fan.

i honestly don't know much about Fender cabs. if its older it may have some nice speakers. if its new, i am sure some are better than others. some of them are built a little different than a standard 4x12" i can't really remember though. just do a little bit of research before you check it out. it's always best to know as much as you can before a deal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I heard with the MIGs, you either love them or hate them, so I'd try it first if you haven't already. They're not easy amps or something.

Should say I never played one myself, that's just what I heard people say about them so maybe I'm wrong.
Why aren't you miking up the amps? How do you expect the sound guy to adjust the FOH mix properly?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Why aren't you miking up the amps? How do you expect the sound guy to adjust the FOH mix properly?

What sound guy? I feel like I'm getting trolled here.

I got an offer on an old peavey butcher 120 with a marshall 412 celestion cab. As far as my research goes I found that people say they're overly trebly JCM 800's. Anybody have some sound clips of one of these or can back them?
there are a lot of places, mainly dives that do not have a PA that can handle, some of them you are lucky to get the vocals loud enough. however that is likely due to the guitarists turning their amps too loud.

some times you don't have an option. i have played quite a few, and quite a few with a nice pa and mic setup, great subs and well balanced out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
When I play dives without a decent PA I take my own and use that. Not miking up the guitar is oh so amateurish. Even if you don't have to turn them up at least you have the option to. You match yourself to the drummer and use the PA to fill out the back of the room. Once the room fills up with people you need to have something coming from the FOH or else the only people hearing the guitars are the front row.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
When I play dives without a decent PA I take my own and use that. Not miking up the guitar is oh so amateurish. Even if you don't have to turn them up at least you have the option to. You match yourself to the drummer and use the PA to fill out the back of the room. Once the room fills up with people you need to have something coming from the FOH or else the only people hearing the guitars are the front row.

i don't have a pa at the moment. i do however have a nice PA monitering thing

it seems to be pretty cool, i got it in a trade with some other stuff, i just need to figure out when i get a pa or what my priorities at the moment.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
If you are serious about gigging you should buy a PA of some sort. Even 200W per side will get you by. It's normally only at small gigs where you need it and in those cases I've lived with a 200W per side PA into two 15" bins with horns. Loud enough and easy to cart and set up.
You just gotta have one. You need one for rehearsing too. Push it higher up your list of priorities.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If you are serious about gigging you should buy a PA of some sort. Even 200W per side will get you by. It's normally only at small gigs where you need it and in those cases I've lived with a 200W per side PA into two 15" bins with horns. Loud enough and easy to cart and set up.
You just gotta have one. You need one for rehearsing too. Push it higher up your list of priorities.

its on the list. i will get one at some point. i have to decide where i want to put my money at the moment. i want a recording setup, i have an interface and pro tools that came with it, but my computer is too slow to run it, i am trying to buy my dad's computer off of him, but he hasn't said anything for a while. i would need $1500-$1700 to get the computer i want and interface. a PA would be about the same. there are a few factors going into all of this, how many students i am teaching lessons to. currently at four, but as everybody knows, some people stick with it and some don't. if i have those four @25/hr, four lessons a week, sets me at $400/month in addition to my regular income. i have a little less spending money because of sinkholes in my neighborhood, my home owners insurance went up by $5,000 this year on top of what it was last year. i also am debating building a motor and getting back into drag racking, i don't like drag racing my daily driver, although its a 12 sec car.

and there are a few amps i have my eye on.

like i said i just need to decide.

when i get a PA it will be a good one, most likely built from good deals on CL.

also a few guys i play with have PA's so its not always needed, but would be good to have my own. there are only a few people i play with that don't.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 10, 2012,
I'm not playing Rush concerts, this is a hardcore show outside with a bunch of kids piling up on each other, it's not usually in peoples budgets that are hosting a house show or backyard show to have enough mics to mic up all the cabs and drums and that jazz. It's just not realistic. So it's up to the amps themselves to be powerful enough to make that wall of sound. We do it all the time, it's totally possible.
Before I bought my own PA I used to hire one. I found somebody cheap. Asap I bought a PA of my own. One of the best decisions I ever made - and it was only a cheap one I bought first. A Korean powered mixer and a couple of Laney 15" PA bins. I just picked up mikes as I went (half of which are now missing) and other bandmates normally bought their own. Afterall, Any serious guitarist has his own favourite mike. Drummers worth their salt usually buy mikes for their kit too.
Why do I get the feeling that I've always had a better stage sound than you?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Probably because you have way more money, invested a lot more into it than I have and play music that people don't just play power chords in drop D the whole time?
I was no rich kid, far from it. I just went without and saved my money. Stuck with one guitar and one SS amp for 10 years or more pouring money into gear I needed more - like a PA and lights. There's a lot more cheap gear for the beginner to choose from now. You could buy a starters PA on a paper route these days.
The only drop D played back then was Uriah Heap's "The Wizard."

Oh and to answer your question (sorry to sidetrack) - I'd get the Mig. I'd probably mod the hell out of it but you'll get by with boosts. It's the right amp for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification