So I've mentioned it several times, but I'm in love with my bronco. The bass works in every situation, but now I'm going to university and it needs to be a little more versatile. I found DR makes a hi beam short scale 5 string set for $34.99 so I'll be taking the lower 4 strings and turning it into a little BEAD bass.

Now before you all start in telling me how the low B will be absolute shite, lets all give it a collective benefit of the doubt. It will be in a standard tuning and they are strings sized for short scale, it's like a .55 - .125 set when cutting out the .45 G string so tension should be relatively ok.

What I am worried about are the tuners, they work now, but they are 3/4 size or something and I need to replace them no doubt but the headstock is small. I do have a set of tuners from a squier P bass could those fit with some drill pressing? Then I just file the nut a smidge and the B bridge saddle and hole and maybe some truss rod adjustment, but I feel like if it's standard tuning, with higher gauge strings at a lower tension it should even out relatively.

For giggles, I'll also be painting the headstock black to match and writing bronco in white on it. The entire bass will all be black on white on black kind of thing including a big white leather strap. Eventually if I get a bit more money I'll be adding a 7k and 15k GFS hotrail to my existing 10k to make it strat like.
They'll work with the standard tuners. You just need to cut the string length prettttttty short.

You CAN fit a more standard P bass size set on there with some drilling, but the problem will be that the added weight will cause some neck dive. Also, depending on which model, their backs (?for lack of better term), will not line up unless you widen the holes VERY precisely. Some models, might also be too large in general.

A dude on a short scale forum i check out too was converting his bronco to a musicmaster, and used P bass tuners. I'm just echoing what he found out. Because his was more for aesthetic reasons, he opted for a set of Mustang tuners in the end.

You SHOULD be able to get by without replacing the tuners, though.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
They'll work with the standard tuners. You just need to cut the string length prettttttty short.

You CAN fit a more standard P bass size set on there with some drilling, but the problem will be that the added weight will cause some neck dive. Also, depending on which model, their backs (?for lack of better term), will not line up unless you widen the holes VERY precisely. Some models, might also be too large in general.

A dude on a short scale forum i check out too was converting his bronco to a musicmaster, and used P bass tuners. I'm just echoing what he found out. Because his was more for aesthetic reasons, he opted for a set of Mustang tuners in the end.

You SHOULD be able to get by without replacing the tuners, though.

Well they are short scale strings I'm buying, wouldn't they fit normal say like the fender short scale rounds they come equipped with? If you think the B will taper enough to fit in the hole I'm game for trying I just didn't want to find it too short or unwieldy on the smaller tuner.

I've creeped at least a hundred bronco threads including one on TB by you that people keep bumping but you haven't responded to in like a year lol. I've found people saying new tuners would push the strings out of alignment with the nut, and now they won't fit in the back possibly. I have no issue though with the stock tuners. What I love about the bass is that everyone starts a thread with a laundry list of issues that they want to mod and correct, then halfway realizes a new pickup is largely what you need to make it work like a champ.
Quote by askrere
Well they are short scale strings I'm buying, wouldn't they fit normal say like the fender short scale rounds they come equipped with? If you think the B will taper enough to fit in the hole I'm game for trying I just didn't want to find it too short or unwieldy on the smaller tuner.

Yeah, i'm really thinking you should be fine. In the absolute worst case scenario, you waste a bit of time and still get a new set of 4 strings, even if the B doesn't work. But i really can't think of any reason why they shouldn't.

I've creeped at least a hundred bronco threads including one on TB by you that people keep bumping but you haven't responded to in like a year lol. I've found people saying new tuners would push the strings out of alignment with the nut, and now they won't fit in the back possibly. I have no issue though with the stock tuners. What I love about the bass is that everyone starts a thread with a laundry list of issues that they want to mod and correct, then halfway realizes a new pickup is largely what you need to make it work like a champ.

Haha... i think that's just how TB is in general... lots of non-high end shame, i guess. People on there are pretty materialistic. So, someone buys a Squire or SX and by the nature of TB, they seem to only be able to legitimize it by "modding it". Like, "Yeah i play a Squire/SX... oh, but it's okay... i MODDED it!".

There's nothing wrong with that... it's just that i honestly feel like not everything about an inexpensive bass NEEDS to be upgraded. Tuners are my main example. I find that spending $50+ on new tuners make such a little difference, it really serves very little purpose.

When i mod, i have two rules i follow:

1. Be as least-invasive as possible. Meaning, if i mod, say... my Bronco... i'll "upgrade" the pickups only with another strat sized pickup. No harshing on dudes that throw, like, a split-P in there... it's just that i think there are plenty of great sounding options without going to town on the body.

2. If i DO get invasive... i MUST be the one doing the mod, so that i learn how the process works. I guess it's growing up in the punk scene, with a huge emphasis on "DIY", but i refuse to send a bass to a luthier, unless the luthier "oversees" what i'm doing. I want to learn how to do things... not throw money at it and let someone else do it.

I know that flies in the face of the TB mentality on some levels... and i TOTALLY respect dudes that take a bronco... hack it and reshape it into a "Jazzmaster Bass" because they can... but i'm not a rich dude. I simply can not afford to take on projects like that. I play all my basses... if i don't they get traded.

/rant
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I totally agree, I try and learn everything I can myself, or have someone teach me. That's why I kind of got tired of taking lessons, my teacher spent at least 1/4 to 1/2 of my time showing off, and he nor any of the stores staff would ever answer my questions about how to service or set up anything on my bass or other hardware etc. I think learning the tech side is just as important, and none of them could do anything and if they could they'd only offer to do it away from me for more $$$.

So I quit lessons, got kind of sucked more into school but this last year after playing with some people and getting more into it, and now I'll be in a single dorm for the next 2 years so I'll be doing lots of theory and practice. Overall though I have to say I've learned more valuable history, insight and creative ideas both for music and gear design on google and forums than anywhere. It just takes good searching, taking everything with a grain of salt and checking multiple sources.