Hi. I'm a beginner and I'm looking at random tabs for songs I like. Sometimes only the chords in the songs are tabbed, like here:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/s/slowdive/alison_crd.htm

How am I supposed to use these? Ex: am I assuming that in the song, they strum the entire chord, or should I assume that they're picking notes from these chords, and that I have to figure them out on my own?
Does it sound like their playing the entire cord? if so they are probably playing the whole cord. in that song yes, each cord is strummed fully.
wut.
I recommend ditching the chord tabs until you're an advanced player. In the meantime, invest in Guitar Pro 6 software and download the Guitar Pro and Power Tab tabs. GP6 can import Power Tab files. Best $50 you'll ever spend at Amazon. Or on your guitar playing. Better than 20 years of lessons.
Quote by jetwash69
I recommend ditching the chord tabs until you're an advanced player. In the meantime, invest in Guitar Pro 6 software and download the Guitar Pro and Power Tab tabs. GP6 can import Power Tab files. Best $50 you'll ever spend at Amazon. Or on your guitar playing. Better than 20 years of lessons.

Definitely do this. It's essential I'd say.
Actually, instead of getting Guitar Pro or Power Tab, use TuxGuitar. It's free, and can open Guitar Pro and Power Tab tabs.
Quote by HenryB
Actually, instead of getting Guitar Pro or Power Tab, use TuxGuitar. It's free, and can open Guitar Pro and Power Tab tabs.

Yes, but guitar pro is a much superior product. I'd only get tuxguitar if you cant afford GP.
If youve got a decent phone too theres GuitarPro and TabToolKit apps that help alot!
TuxGuitar is really irritating because it doesn't have the RSE functionality--basically it just sounds like FM MIDI. RSE is so good I know singers who've cut audition tapes with Guitar Pro backing tracks. Couldn't even tell the difference between the wav file of that and a wav of a Roland digital piano driven by MIDI.
This thread caught my eye and I was interested to note the comment about leaving the chord tabs alone because what I've done is STARTED with the chord tabs because I couldn't figure out how to read the Tabs.......

My young brother tells me tabs are 'easy', personally, I've learned a few songs from following the chord tabs.

Where to start learning how to read tabs????
Quote by martinuk777
This thread caught my eye and I was interested to note the comment about leaving the chord tabs alone because what I've done is STARTED with the chord tabs because I couldn't figure out how to read the Tabs.......

My young brother tells me tabs are 'easy', personally, I've learned a few songs from following the chord tabs.

Where to start learning how to read tabs????

The bottom line represents the low E string and so on up until the top line, which equals the high E string. The numbers represent which frets to fret for each string.

In tab books (and many GP tabs) there will be notes in addition to the tab so you can get the rhythm (whole, half, quarter, dotted, etc. UG tabs are kind of touch and go. Sometimes you can guess by how much space there is between notes. Other times you got to listen to the real song and figure it out like you would with chords.

Tabs, tab books, and software all should have a key showing what all the symbols mean. In UG "tab" tabs here are some of the most common notations: "~" for vibrato or "V". "P" usually means pull off, and "H" hammer on. "B" for bend. Sometimes it'll say how much, but usually not. Not a lot of standardization in "tab" tabs.

Good "tab" tabs are rare on UG. Your best bet is buying Guitar Pro 6. Then download "Guitar Pro" tabs or import "Power Tab" tabs. Buying GP6 is best use of $50 for your computer ever.