The idea? To put together a bunch of standards and originals covering a range of the genres existing under the umbrella that is jazz, with obviously a lot of guitar (this is ultimate-guitar after all) but other instruments as well (any horn players, pianists any other instrumentalists or even vocalists would be a great addition!).

As far as how it would be done, I guess people who are interested put down what instruments they can play, what tunes they would like to play. Then players for certain tunes are decided upon and the group who are playing that particular tune can decide upon things like key, feel, tempo, form, soloists etc. Then the rhythm section can record their parts, send all the different parts to other members doing the same tune, the contributing melody players/soloists can contribute their parts (obviously recording will probably be done where the individuals feel comfortable, unless particular members find they live very close together and would rather record face to face).

Than some person who can actually mix (not me) would mix the individual tracks into one album. Easier said than done!
I'm giving this a bump. I can't play jazz well enough to contribute, but I would absolutely love to see this happen.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I'm not much good at playing jazz, but I too would like to see this happen.

How about you guys finds some drummers, bassists, pianists and rhythm guitarists and divide the task of recording backing tracks over them, and then have the soloists send in solos for whichever tracks pique their interest, then someone combines the backing tracks with the best solos and it turns into a massive super collaboration?
Do you guys have any suggestions for tunes? Maybe if we do a ballad, bossa, swing, and up tempo/bop tune and a blues. I think a rhythm changes contrafact, or rhythm changes itself would go down nicely, though I'm not too great at playing on them.

For a ballad we could do: Stella By Starlight, Tenderly, Days Of Wine and Roses, Naima, Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, Body & Soul, Blue In Green. If you guys have any other suggestions I'd like to hear them

Bossa could do Wave, Medicato, Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars, The Waters of March or Triste for a Jobim one. Dindi is also a really nice one, underplayed to from what I've heard. Gentle Rain is also a really nice one.

As far as the Rhythm Changes stuff is concerned, a really awesome head if you guys haven't heard is Suspone by Mike Stern. I've transcribed the head so I can post it up here if necessary. Rhythm-A-Ning by Monk is always a cool one. Could do anthropology, but depending on how up you want to take it I may or may not be able to play it.

For a blues we could do Tenor Madness, Blue Monk, Straight No Chaser, Sandu, Bemsha Swing, Equinox or The Chicken (although it's not a strict 12 bar blues) would be a great one to do.

For a swing tune, I really like You and the night and the music, underplayed in my opinion. Solar is always a good decent swing. How High The Moon/Ornithology, Green Dolphin Street, Stompin' At Savoy isn't done much either.

I'd also love to do (either I can have a shot or if someone else wants to by all means) of doing some guitar ensemble arrangements of these songs (just the heads obviously than solos would be as usual). I've been doing music at uni and I've been in guitar ensemble probably 1 - 2 years and I've really enjoyed playing arrangements.

So maybe if we had some arrangements purely for maybe anywhere between 3 - 6 guitars and bass and drums. Some standards with any instruments (and the more the merrier welcome) and if anyone has some original compositions to offer that would be great as well.

As far as instruments go I can really only play guitar, amatuer piano and maybe a bass part if needed, but I probably speak for all guitarists when I say I can provide an amature-ish bass part.
Last edited by jesse music at Jan 23, 2012,
Naima and Body & Soul are two personal favorites.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by frankv
How about you guys finds some drummers, bassists, pianists and rhythm guitarists and divide the task of recording backing tracks over them, and then have the soloists send in solos for whichever tracks pique their interest, then someone combines the backing tracks with the best solos and it turns into a massive super collaboration?

I like that idea.
If you need a saxophone player just pm me. Would be cool to have some action in this forum again.
I'd like to do either "Four on Six", "So What", or the "Blue Bassa" standard. I know I'm not a regular in here, but I might start being one.
you're a stone fox
I can't say I know four on six that well, so I'll have to brush up on that, great tune for sure.

So What or Blue Bossa would be good too. I'm over in Melbourne atm, I live in Tassie but once I get back there I'll try and get something down or at least get working on some stuff for this.

What sort of instruments have we got in so far, because it would probably be most important to get some sort of a rhythm section down or tunes first. So that means Bass, Guitar or Piano (and maybe but piano and guitar is usually not easy to make work)
and drums if need be.
I was talking about guitar, I'll have to brush up on So What and Four on Six. I have Blue Bossa down pretty well though.
you're a stone fox
I'm pretty interested. You might wanna try expanding the album from purely jazz to jazz and blues, just to get more people on board.
For sure I'm happy for there to be blues but I do think they should be jazzier blues. I'm also really happy to do some fusion tunes or Scofield tunes. Sco happens to be probably my favourite jazz guitarist.

Kay, well I'm back home now. Got my guitar all cleaned up for hopefully a good day of practice tomorrow, wouldn't mind getting some new strings and I'll be ready to start work on this thing.

Please forgive if I sound rusty as well, I haven't practiced for 10 days as I've been away in Melbourne with no guitar and before that I had a weeks break at home which mostly involved unpacking from being in Adelaide for four weeks and than getting packed up to go to Melbourne, and while I was in Adelaide my practice was pretty disjointed as I was over there for my fathers wedding.
I'll play the bass. My first song suggestion is 'All Blues' by Miles Davis. Easy and fun to play!

Oh, I also feel that 'Django', by John Lewis of the Modern Jazz Quartet is a terrific composition. It was written as a tribute to the great guitarist Django Reinardt. There's many cool arrangements of it, but here is a very guitar centric one recorded by the Vince Guaraldi Trio -- That's the guy who did the Peanuts Christmas music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XWAqEG_uwk

The guitar player is Eddie Duran, a player who is pretty much an unknown footnote, but has some serious skills. I've transcribed the 'head' in Guitar Pro if anyone is interested in this one.
Last edited by DharmaForOne at Jan 29, 2012,
Ballad: Niama, Body and Soul

Up Tempo: Four On Six

Swing: So What, All Blues, and I guess you could call Django a swing peice

Bossa: Blue Bossa

That's all the tunes we've had suggested so far.

Looks like we've got 10 people on board.

jesse music

primusfan

Brainpolice2

TNfootballfan62

frankv

Jazzman91

Saint78

bdylan61

DharmaForOne

s guy

As far as how to proceed, do you want to do something like pick one tune, start on that, get some people on board with you, and just focuss on getting on tune up for starters. Than if you want to suggest other tunes get others on board with them or work on some arrangements we can do those as well. Than maybe aim to have a selection of a dozen or so peieces to put on the album than we can cherry pick the best selections to go on there. I'm not talking about excluding anyone, just

I'd probably recommend getting that bass players to put there parts down first, so appears to be primusfan and DharmaForOne. If we can decide on two tunes for starters and get you guys to lay down something. I know DharmaForOne has already suggested some tunes. Do you have anything you'd like to suggest primusfan?
Quote by jesse music
Ballad: Niama, Body and Soul

Up Tempo: Four On Six

Swing: So What, All Blues, and I guess you could call Django a swing peice

Bossa: Blue Bossa

That's all the tunes we've had suggested so far.

Looks like we've got 10 people on board.

jesse music

primusfan

Brainpolice2

TNfootballfan62

frankv

Jazzman91

Saint78

bdylan61

DharmaForOne

s guy

As far as how to proceed, do you want to do something like pick one tune, start on that, get some people on board with you, and just focuss on getting on tune up for starters. Than if you want to suggest other tunes get others on board with them or work on some arrangements we can do those as well. Than maybe aim to have a selection of a dozen or so peieces to put on the album than we can cherry pick the best selections to go on there. I'm not talking about excluding anyone, just

I'd probably recommend getting that bass players to put there parts down first, so appears to be primusfan and DharmaForOne. If we can decide on two tunes for starters and get you guys to lay down something. I know DharmaForOne has already suggested some tunes. Do you have anything you'd like to suggest primusfan?

oh, i was under the impression we were just recording the tunes with our own groups. i guess theoretically we could chart out really detailed arrangements and play them as is. but we'd have to record to a click. that might be a little too much effort for me to put in (at least for me, given my schedule with school and work).

i'm doing a demo with some guys pretty soon, so i might be able to put one of those up if that counts. if not, then that's fine. sorry, guys.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
oh, i was under the impression we were just recording the tunes with our own groups. i guess theoretically we could chart out really detailed arrangements and play them as is. but we'd have to record to a click. that might be a little too much effort for me to put in (at least for me, given my schedule with school and work).

i'm doing a demo with some guys pretty soon, so i might be able to put one of those up if that counts. if not, then that's fine. sorry, guys.

I say go ahead and toss in the stuff with your band, but that's my opinion?

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by primusfan

Well if you guys have any suggestions about how to decide upon tunes and record them go ahead, because it's not really my best area.

If we record the tunes with our own groups, it's certianly a lot simpler than doing it across the interwebz, and I'm fine with that if that's what your up for.

I'm taking deffering from my studies for 6 months, but I'll be back into it in the second half of the year.

I think I probably agree with Kyle, if it's easier for you to do it with your group, go right ahead.
Last edited by jesse music at Feb 7, 2012,
I never actually recorded with anyone over the internet. I'll share how I always record anything, though

I like to make the entire arrangement in Guitar Pro. If anyone is unfamiliar with it, it's an easy to use music/tab editor. From this, export a MIDI of the arrangement which can then be placed as a track in whatever recording program you want to use. You can also export a single track as MIDI if you want to use SynthFont or SuperiorDrummer or whatever.

I record all the parts over the MIDI, then just remove the MIDI from the end result.

If we used this approach, how hard could it be to make the recordings over the internet? Just send the MIDI file and people record to it, then send the waves back. It forces everyone to play in the same time, for the same length, etc.

I already mentioned that I have partially transcribed 'Django' in Guitar Pro. Actually, I have a lot of 'All Blues' copied as well. The trouble is that those files are on my old computer which doesn't boot reliably. So I'm unsure if I can actually get the files or if I'll have to start over on them.
Quote by jesse music
I'm fine to do something like this, but it means the rhythm section would have to record to a click track as primusfan stated.

honestly, i just think it'd be better to record on top of band-in-the-box or a playalong. the entire point of a live rhythm section is to have real-time interaction between instruments. if you're going to take that away, you might as well just record to a backing track. IMO anyway.
#DTWD