i am going to be starting a build, a les paul special double cut but i need 2 final measurements

length of the neck pocket and the distance from the heel of the neck to the back of the neck p-up

thank you!

ryan.
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
1984 Marshall JCM 800 4210
Voc AC30c2
Last edited by RockinRyan13 at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by RockinRyan13
i am going to be starting a build, a les paul special double cut but i need 2 final measurements

length of the neck pocket and the distance from the heel of the neck to the front p-up

thank you!

ryan.

You should measure the pickup from where the bridge is positioned. Based on your accuracy of routing, measuring from the neck heal may not be accurate.

Neck pocket depth varies on on dual cuts throughout the years. Some are quite deep, while others are not.

Here's a 1:1 template you can take measurements off of.

https://rapidshare.com/files/1754755443/LPJR_Model__1__2_.pdf

If you don't want to see part of the neck tenon, just rout the neck pocket no further than where the pickguard covers.
Last edited by earthwormjim at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by earthwormjim
You should measure the pickup from where the bridge is positioned. Based on your accuracy of routing, measuring from the neck heal may not be accurate.

Neck pocket depth varies on on dual cuts throughout the years. Some are quite deep, while others are not.

Here's a 1:1 template you can take measurements off of.

https://rapidshare.com/files/1754755443/LPJR_Model__1__2_.pdf

If you don't want to see part of the neck tenon, just rout the neck pocket no further than where the pickguard covers.

i'm doing the special with both p-ups.

thank you for the response tho.
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
1984 Marshall JCM 800 4210
Voc AC30c2
Quote by RockinRyan13
i'm doing the special with both p-ups.

thank you for the response tho.

I can't believe I didn't see "neck" in your post.

I believe traditionally, the pickup was flush with the end of the fret board (2nd harmonic) . In order to fix neck breakage issues, the pickup was moved down a bit (1.5") just like on a Gibson SG.

So if you can't find the exact measurements, just look for some Gibson SG plans online and adapt those. The SG pretty much spawned from double cut specials anyway.

If it's super important that you have the pick up under the 2nd harmonic, you'll want to make sure the neck is further inside the body like on the late 70's double cuts.

You should try posting on some dedicated Les Paul forums.
Last edited by earthwormjim at Jan 11, 2012,