I've recently decided that I'm in need of a boost pedal for my amp, so I thought I would ask for some opionions on here about what I should go for. I'm looking for something to tighten up my tone and add sustain and whatnot.

Budget is no more than 150 USD, preferably as low as possible

Genre: I'm looking to get my amp into the territory of Children of Bodom, Black Label Society, Hatebreed, Throwdown, Cavalera Conspiracy, STEMM, etc.

I'm willing to go used if the price is right

Location: Athens, Columbus, and Tuscarawas County for Craigslist

8 was thinking either the MXR Zakk Wylde OD, DigiTech Hardwire CM-2, or a TS clone of some kind, but I'm open to all suggestions.

EDIT: Some other specific pedals that caught my eye: Ibanez Jet Driver, Visual Sound Route 808, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BBE Green Screamer, Ibanez TS9, Ibanez TS9DX, Rocktron Valve Charger, TC Electronic MojoMojo, way Huge Green Rhino, or maybe even a Wampler Ecstacy.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Jan 9, 2012,
java boost by keeley, it's above your price range but maybe it will be closer used. you could always use a tube screamer to help boost the gain from the amp, or other OD pedals
I use the NANO..

It Boosts the gain, and the mids slightly so your solo's really cut through.. I think mine was $60.00 US or so...

I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Hmm, I'm looking for the same thing. I was recommended an EQ pedal and bought the MXR 6-band EQ, which is supposed to give you an 18db volume boost. Trouble is, it doesn't really do the job. I was also looking at but haven't tried the MXR Micro Amp, which is more of a gain boost. Recommendations welcome.
CHECK OUT MY METAL BLOG: Metal Mouth

ESP LTD MH-400NT
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Jackson RX10D Rhoads
Ebony Epiphone LP Standard
Taylor Big Baby acoustic
Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall 1960a
Boss MT-2
Boss TU-2
Ibanez TS9
i have a green screamer, and love it. it has treated me well for quite a while.

however, i LOVE the green rhino, i don't own one yet, but its up there on the priority list.

also as far as boosts goes, Fulltone's Fatboost is a cool pedal. look into the different versions. one or two of the versions have like a clicking boost knob (as you turn it), one or two don't but something else is different.

edit: green rhino gives you plenty of EQing options so if all you need is a little tone change hitting the input, you may not even need an EQ. however i still would put one in the loop.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 9, 2012,
Talk to greeny23, he runs Toyroom FX and is very reasonable pricewise and makes a killer pedals
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I don't really think I'm looking for a clean boost, but more of an OD to boost with. I know FastRedPonyCar uses the Hardwire CM-2 as a boost, and I'm a fan of their pedals. I was also interes ted in the Zakk Wylde M~4 pedal because I know Zakk uses it for a boost into his JCM800. I'll ask greeny23 about his pedals for sure.
i would suggest an ibanez ts9. I use it in front of my 6505+ and it really tightens up the sound and boosts the midrange. and it also adds gain if you want it to.
My Guitar Rig:
Peavey 6505+ Head
Peavey 6505 slant cab
MXR Smart Gate
MXR Noise Clamp
Ibanez ts-9 tubescreamer
Ibanez RGA72tqm with EMG 81/85

Other Guitar Gear:
Fender Vibro Champ
TTM Guitars Devastator
LTD EC-200
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have a green screamer, and love it. it has treated me well for quite a while.

however, i LOVE the green rhino, i don't own one yet, but its up there on the priority list.

also as far as boosts goes, Fulltone's Fatboost is a cool pedal. look into the different versions. one or two of the versions have like a clicking boost knob (as you turn it), one or two don't but something else is different.

edit: green rhino gives you plenty of EQing options so if all you need is a little tone change hitting the input, you may not even need an EQ. however i still would put one in the loop.

damn. looking at the green screamer a few minutes ago, it seems that the price doubled since mine. they are $100 now. i am almost positive i paid $40 new on ebay from an authorized retailer. at that price, scratch the BBE off.

get the green rhino.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
14xjake,
I use a ts9 in front as well. The problem is, I leave it on all the time to tighten up the bottom end. I've got TU2 > ts9 > NS2 in front of a Peavey Valveking. When I go into a solo it's hard to cut through the mix and be heard above our other guitar player.

I'm also wondering if boost pedals will work at all, as I have heard that when using a high-gain amp you run out of headroom and the preamp simply compresses the sound. Whatever that means....

Still looking for suggestions.
CHECK OUT MY METAL BLOG: Metal Mouth

ESP LTD MH-400NT
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Jackson RX10D Rhoads
Ebony Epiphone LP Standard
Taylor Big Baby acoustic
Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall 1960a
Boss MT-2
Boss TU-2
Ibanez TS9
Kirk Hammett runs his amps entirely clean and gets all of his dirt out of pedals. Hard to believe I know. What I'm saying is, try turning your gain down a bit and crank the hell out of your pedals.

I think the only thing I can add is that Lovepedal also makes a booster as the other suggestions seem pretty solid for what you're going for. I've demoed a couple of their pedals and they were really cool.
Quote by bpdeem
Kirk Hammett runs his amps entirely clean and gets all of his dirt out of pedals. Hard to believe I know. What I'm saying is, try turning your gain down a bit and crank the hell out of your pedals.

I think the only thing I can add is that Lovepedal also makes a booster as the other suggestions seem pretty solid for what you're going for. I've demoed a couple of their pedals and they were really cool.

No offence but to the extreme you are taking this, I call bull.

To a certain point, turn amp gain down and pedal gain up may help you withyour tone but getting all your dirt from pedals if your playing anything pther than light blues is bull.

You may as well run 3tubescreamers into a PA.....

And I reccomend the TS9 forbthe TS
Quote by Seanthesheep
No offence but to the extreme you are taking this, I call bull.

To a certain point, turn amp gain down and pedal gain up may help you withyour tone but getting all your dirt from pedals if your playing anything pther than light blues is bull.

You may as well run 3tubescreamers into a PA.....

And I reccomend the TS9 forbthe TS

I agree that his post was bs, but you obviously have not played with a lot of dirt pedals.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
save a bit and get a blackstar ht boost
my gear:

italia maranello speedster 1

vox ac4

yamaha delay

electro harmonix little big muff

freshman apollo electro acoustic

dunlop cry baby wah

epiphone acoustic
I highly recommend the Visual Sound Route 808. It outshines all my other pedals for boosting a gain channel into modern metal territory. It also has a bass boost switch that brings back the lowend that 808's and Tubescreamers usually remove from your tone when engaged.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by lbj273
Talk to greeny23, he runs Toyroom FX and is very reasonable pricewise and makes a killer pedals

This.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Mxr Gt-od!
Fender Strat -> MXR GT-OD -> Lovepedal OD-11 -> MXR Black Label Chorus -> Mesa F-30

Exclusively using V-Picks!
Honestly, after gigging with it, I don't know that I need a boost. I thought I had the amp cranked enough at home, but apparently not. Once you get some volume in it, it sounds much better. Also, after realizing how damn bassy this amp is and dialing some bass out of my tone, it improved as well. I didn't even use my EQ at my two gigs, but that's because it refused to stop clipping no matter how low I turned the send knob on the loop. Unless it was just completely at zero, the damn thing was clipping. Anyone know how to fix this?
The ibanez jet driver is really nice.....its way cleaner sounding than a ts9......and provided more boost 20db..... Nice peice....
Quote by Blktiger0
Honestly, after gigging with it, I don't know that I need a boost. I thought I had the amp cranked enough at home, but apparently not. Once you get some volume in it, it sounds much better. Also, after realizing how damn bassy this amp is and dialing some bass out of my tone, it improved as well. I didn't even use my EQ at my two gigs, but that's because it refused to stop clipping no matter how low I turned the send knob on the loop. Unless it was just completely at zero, the damn thing was clipping. Anyone know how to fix this?

Is there an input trim on the EQ? That's one of the other advantages of the MXR 10 band, it does (labelled "Gain"). Other than that you will be looking at modding either the pedal or the amp. Another way to do it would be to add a signal pad in the chain before the EQ - something akin to those cheap Ebay "attenuators" which is just a pot in a box.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification