Hi All,

I have recently picked up an electric guitar, which I have happily been playing "ampless" I have managed to get a cheap amp and I seem to have a problem, the sound is very "crackly" and sounds almost like feedback.

I suspect this is to do with the guitar as it is very old, but is there anyway I can find out whereabouts the fault lies? I know i'm not gonna get perfect sound due to the fact the guitar is old an worn but getting consistent non crackly sound would be great.

thanks
_________
Last edited by originalBowsa at Jan 9, 2012,
okay it would really help if we could hear the sound as it could be many thing can you post of recording of the sound like on youtube or something?

ill b egoing to bed soon so if i dont get back to you

the crackly sound could be coming from looze cables in the guitar most likely in the jack or the cable itself could be shitty

so if oyu can try playing it with a different cable or check inside th eguitar for anyloose cables or shorts

peace out and goodluck

also ...there are no guitar players here >.>
Last edited by supersac at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by supersac
okay it would really help if we could hear the sound as it could be many thing can you post of recording of the sound like on youtube or something?

ill b egoing to bed soon so if i dont get back to you

the crackly sound could be coming from looze cables in the guitar most likely in the jack or the cable itself could be shitty

so if oyu can try playing it with a different cable or check inside th eguitar for anyloose cables or shorts

peace out and goodluck

also ...there are no guitar players here >.>

I'm at work now anyway so cant do it immediately. I will have a look into getting this into Youtube (not done this before).

The lead is brand new, so while it's possible I would think it unlikely?

I really dont want to take the guitar apart as I cant retune it myself and have never taken one apart before lol.
It probably not the guitar. It's most likely either a shitty amp or shitty cable. And also it's vital to learn how to tune your guitar cos they go out of tune every couple of days.
Quote by itamar100
It probably not the guitar. It's most likely either a shitty amp or shitty cable. And also it's vital to learn how to tune your guitar cos they go out of tune every couple of days.

couple of days

Any good links on how to tune a guitar would be good as well.

Thanks
Quote by originalBowsa
couple of days

Any good links on how to tune a guitar would be good as well.

Thanks

Every time I pick mine up, I tune it. Even if you have a state of the art tuning mechanism, you still need to tune quite often due to changes in temperature. If the temperature changes a bit, your strings will grow and/or shrink slightly, causing it to go out of tune.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/onlinetuner.html

That should get you started.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
I also think it is the guitar due to it feeling like quite a loose connection in the guitar, almost like its not creating a good enough connection.

when the cable is wiggled the sound comes in and out?
Crackly sound? Might be a loose connection by the pickup selector. To fix this, you will have to open the guitar and resolder the loose parts.
But of course I can't be sure of it. What kind guitar are we talking about?

About tuning:
http://guitar.about.com/od/beginners/ss/how_tune_guitar.htm (this is a guide)
http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/onlinetuner.html (you can also tune to this, but I will recommend that you learn the other way too)
Last edited by emil_sej at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by LordPino
Every time I pick mine up, I tune it. Even if you have a state of the art tuning mechanism, you still need to tune quite often due to changes in temperature. If the temperature changes a bit, your strings will grow and/or shrink slightly, causing it to go out of tune.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/onlinetuner.html

That should get you started.

Thanks for this

Also I have seen a lot of automatic tuners, there is one on ebay for £3.00......do we think that tuners are tuners and it wont really make a huge difference at this stage whether it costs me £3.00 or £20.00 or are there any that I could look into: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Clip-Chromatic-Guitar-Bass-Violin-Ukulele-Tuner-/290535996489?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43a54b7c49
Quote by originalBowsa

For electric guitar, I would get a tuner which has an input, meaning you can plug your guitar into it. A tuner with microphone exclusively will probably be impossible to use on stage because of the noise from screaming fans

EDIT: Something like this will be just fine. Most of the time, you pay for quality and not that much precision.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Korg-GA-1-Replacement-GA-30-Guitar-Tuner-GA1-/360424545932?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53eafa1e8c
Quote by emil_sej
Crackly sound? Might be a loose connection by the pickup selector. To fix this, you will have to open the guitar and resolder the loose parts.
But of course I can't be sure of it. What kind guitar are we talking about?

About tuning:
http://guitar.about.com/od/beginners/ss/how_tune_guitar.htm (this is a guide)
http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/onlinetuner.html (you can also tune to this, but I will recommend that you learn the other way too)

It is a "Mad Axe Aerial pro II" I can find next to nothing about them

As a secondary question what does the pickup selector do? ( sorry I am a total Noob )
Quote by originalBowsa
It is a "Mad Axe Aerial pro II" I can find next to nothing about them

As a secondary question what does the pickup selector do? ( sorry I am a total Noob )

From what I've heard, Aria (that's what I think it is ) makes some great starter guitars, but there will always be parts that wear out before others.
For the pickup selector, it is the switch that chooses which of the pickups (the "microphones" which pick up the vibrations of the strings) to use. I think the connections for yours might be loose, but it depends: Does the sound change in a bad way (more noise, loss of sound, crackling), when you move it?

Here's a guide to the different parts of an electric guitar (on the right):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_guitar#Construction
The pickup selector is number 3.7
really any kind of movement from the guitar makes a lot of crackly / feedback noise. Also sound isn't always picked up at all?

does that help any?
Yes. I am pretty sure some soldering is needed, but I can't be sure where without looking at it of course.. If you have a soldering iron and a bit of expertise, you should be able to do it yourself Just look for any loose connections and that might do it.

Of course if you are unsure about anything, your local guitar tech should be able to fix it in sec (for a fee).

EDIT: If possible, go to a guitar store and run your guitar through a different amp with a different cable. This should clear out any doubt.
Quote by emil_sej
Yes. I am pretty sure some soldering is needed, but I can't be sure where without looking at it of course.. If you have a soldering iron and a bit of expertise, you should be able to do it yourself Just look for any loose connections and that might do it.

Of course if you are unsure about anything, your local guitar tech should be able to fix it in sec (for a fee).

EDIT: If possible, go to a guitar store and run your guitar through a different amp with a different cable. This should clear out any doubt.

Just to throw a spanner in, I have just had a bit more of a play with it, and so please disregard all previous info.

It seems that it maybe a problem with the volume knob, twisiting it seems to swap between good and bad quality, like at 3 its poor very crackly and you cant make out any sound and wobbling makes it worse.

Turn it up to 7 and it is much better and clearer and you can hear the guitar.....Let me be clear, its not that you cant hear the sound but the sound is very crackly lol.

sorry, dont mean to mess people around......gettting another amp tomorrow hopefully.
Quote by originalBowsa
Just to throw a spanner in, I have just had a bit more of a play with it, and so please disregard all previous info.

It seems that it maybe a problem with the volume knob, twisiting it seems to swap between good and bad quality, like at 3 its poor very crackly and you cant make out any sound and wobbling makes it worse.

Turn it up to 7 and it is much better and clearer and you can hear the guitar.....Let me be clear, its not that you cant hear the sound but the sound is very crackly lol.

sorry, dont mean to mess people around......gettting another amp tomorrow hopefully.

Well, now I think it must be a problem with the potentiometers (pots) to the volume knobs and... My knowledge here is limited. Perhaps some contact spray will do the job, perhaps the pots needs to be switched. Not helping much, sorry..
Quote by emil_sej
Well, now I think it must be a problem with the potentiometers (pots) to the volume knobs and... My knowledge here is limited. Perhaps some contact spray will do the job, perhaps the pots needs to be switched. Not helping much, sorry..

TBH mate I appreciate all your help either way!

what do you mean by contact spray? WD-40 or similar?
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
No wd-40 isnt good on anything you cannot clean it off of.

Id just change the pots, pretty cheap but...

How would I go about changing the pots mate