Hi Pit!

So, I'm working on an assignment for philosophy, and I decided to write about how children's films influence children, and help us develop a sense of right and wrong and whatnot. Basically, how we use films as propaganda to get our children to accept our ideologies.

Anyone here ever thought about this? Opinions? Anecdotes? It'd be great to get some different opinions on this matter, and hopefully some of you have something meaningful to say!

Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Pokemon blatantly suggests forcing animals into stressful situations and making them fight is a good thing.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
disney teaches some good morals, like if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all - thumper

it also teaches us to sneak out with guys you dont know and fly on their magic carpets
Quote by LordPino
Hi Pit!

So, I'm working on an assignment for philosophy, and I decided to write about how children's films influence children, and help us develop a sense of right and wrong and whatnot. Basically, how we use films as propaganda to get our children to accept our ideologies.

Anyone here ever thought about this? Opinions? Anecdotes? It'd be great to get some different opinions on this matter, and hopefully some of you have something meaningful to say!

Al Gores " Inconvenient Truth" has to be accompanied by a fact correction sheet when showed to school children in the UK because its so full of crap.
Sergio 'Checo' Perez 2013 Formula One World Drivers Champion
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
disney teaches some good morals, like if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all - thumper

it also teaches us to sneak out with guys you dont know and fly on their magic carpets

It also teaches you that save a womans life and she will still run off with the more attractive man, ala Notre Dame.
with disney you can bend it to go either way. it can teach children to make a wish and that it will come true. well, not really, only if you use magic. but it teaches that ugly people, like quazee moto shouldnt be judged by their cover, that hard work and effort payes off, hercules, that there is more to chistmas than presents, nightmare b4 xmas, dont eat food from strangers, snow white, dont try to be someone youre not, be who you are, aladin, girls kick ass, mulan, indians are your friends and that white man slaughtered them all and stole their land, pocahontas, if you take enough lsd you can dance with pink elephants and fly with your ears, dumbo, hamlet is a great play, lion king... i can go on for days i love disney movies
This is a pretty extreme propaganda film with Donald Duck made during WW2. Not sure if it is what you meant but it definitely includes some values in a "children's" cartoon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HWwB-_LkwQ
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Well to be fair that Notre Dame one isn't so much a moral as a fact of life that we all learn in time. Pretty people get laid more.
But as for calling "if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all" a good moral, i think that's a horrible thing to teach people. Just because something isn't nice to hear doesn't mean it didn't have to be said. No-one likes to be told their wrong and it's never a nice thing to say, but no-one learns otherwise.
StueyALBB
Quote by StueyALBB
Well to be fair that Notre Dame one isn't so much a moral as a fact of life that we all learn in time. Pretty people get laid more.
But as for calling "if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all" a good moral, i think that's a horrible thing to teach people. Just because something isn't nice to hear doesn't mean it didn't have to be said. No-one likes to be told their wrong and it's never a nice thing to say, but no-one learns otherwise.

you can always tell someone they are wrong in a nice way. like showing them the right way. that is a great moral, its ranked in my top morals of all time, along with the best thing you can do for mankind is mind your own business - john frusciante
Telling someone they are wrong in a nice way is patronizing and always feels insulting and is therefore not nice. It's subjective. If you try to shrink an entire moral perception to the size of a sentence or two then you are never going to accurately portray a good moral, because the details and intricacies that life brings to the table will always be overlooked.

And for the record there is no such thing as a good moral because no moral is right they are just things that you've learned.
StueyALBB
Quote by StueyALBB

I agree. You can't suppress children's inquisitiveness or criticism, that'll just make them bitches when they grow up.
Pinocchio teaches us that if you lie you will grow a massive nose, and forever be known as a massive dildo face.
The little mermaid teaches you that falling in love with someone who is half fish is acceptable.
Quote by Duffman123
Pinocchio teaches us that if you lie you will grow a massive nose, and forever be known as a massive dildo face.

breh, pinocchio teaches you not to smoke cigars and get drunk because you will turn into a jackass

^breh the little mermaid teaches you that it is ok to build an underwater castle out of dildos
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Jan 9, 2012,
The lion king teaches that wild predatory animals will sing to you instead of having you for lunch.
StueyALBB
Quote by LordPino
Hi Pit!

It's an interesting topic.

However, by describing it as "propaganda" you imply a pejorative sense to the process, like the conclusions of the assignment are already foregone. Cultures have always taught their children their ideologies and morals throughout time. There's not necessarily anything wrong with this, or if there is it's up to your assignment to prove it.