As part of my engineering course, I have to complete a project based from my own ideas.

I chose an engineering solution based on a guitar Capo. The solution was to be able to combine the uses of a full capo and a partial capo, by creating a capo with interchangeable parts. This would enable the user to customize which strings he/she wanted to cover.

I created the shape of the capo using 3D software and this is what I have came up with:

The capo is designed to have a rotational ratchet housed inside the pivot point, inside where the "cT" logo is placed. The black linings are the pads that will come in to contact with the neck and strings.

The interchangeable part is based off a computer keyboard key locking system, that with a bit of pressure it can be placed in and out of the capo, enough pressure inside so that it won't fall off, even though in place it will be clamped down on the strings.

Here is the design I came up with:

The images aren't to scale, and no dimensions have been set yet. These interchangeable parts will be placed in to the underside of the upper capo lip.

For my project I am required to do some market research, including target market research.

So I need some users here to give me some feedback, based just off the design and use of my capo. I am aware of some problems at the moment, however I still need feedback from the target market.

Bear in mind I don't need to build the components for my project.

Thank You

Edit:

I'm not good enough on the software to draw the exploded view of the ratchet yet, only just learning.

It will pivot from the bottom up towards the bottom side of the guitar neck, the ratchet means it will move freely towards the neck however once it moves up it can't be moved down without releasing it.

This will be the clamp
Last edited by Ross Hepburn at Jan 9, 2012,
yeah but does it blend

on a more serious note, how do you open it?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
so it clamps? like, you press it down on the strings, it will lock in place?
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by omidmash
yeah but does it blend

on a more serious note, how do you open it?

He said it, Pivot point where the logo is. So yes, it clamps. Lrn2read
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
I'm not good enough on the software to draw the exploded view of the ratchet yet, only just learning.

It will pivot from the bottom up towards the bottom side of the guitar neck, the ratchet means it will move freely towards the neck however once it moves up it can't be moved down without releasing it.

This will be the clamp
Seems lik a good idea in theory, but IMO theres too many small parts and things to go wrong to be useful and durable for a touring or gigging musician.

Maybe if youre still open to other ideas, a system thats built into the guitar like a floyd rose but that capos individual strings
Quote by Seanthesheep
Seems lik a good idea in theory, but IMO theres too many small parts and things to go wrong to be useful and durable for a touring or gigging musician.

Maybe if youre still open to other ideas, a system thats built into the guitar like a floyd rose but that capos individual strings

That's a worse idea.
im sure you've seen the g7th.
(you'll notice, that design wise, you're might not realistically fit
around a headstock)

the issues, i can see already, being familiar with capos shaped like this,
is that there's no place to keep the capo when it's not being used.

so, when you're on stage, you have to keep it in your pocket.

yes, the g7th doesnt press too hard, and pull the strings out of tune, the way that a trigger
capo does.

but i cant use it during a set, because i need to be able to switch between songs.

additionally, you would need a tool ? or trigger? to engage the individual string pads on yours?

is that something can be done on the fly?

maybe you can add a guitar headstock mount?
that doubles as a tool to engage the pads?

good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 9, 2012,
too many variables at this point in time. i understand what you are trying to do, but you have quite of bugs to work out. also for some reason, i am thinking that as it is now you could scratch the side of the neck.

edit: there are a lot of neck profiles out there, make sure it would work for anything and everything between a Gibson 50's neck and an Ibby Wizard profile.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 9, 2012,
Looks like a cool idea.

One problem I can see is that you could lose the interchangeable parts.

How about having individual pads for each string with a mechanism underneath that lets you lock the pad in the up position so it does not touch the string, then you could press it again so the pad locks in the down position where it will fret the string for you?

That way you'd have no removable parts that could get lost.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

edit: there are a lot of neck profiles out there, make sure it would work for anything and everything between a Gibson 50's neck and an Ibby Wizard profile.

I think a simpler solution is to make just a capo for each neck profile. As mentioned earlier, there are quite a few components already, having one more component means one more thing tomgomwrong.

Btw TS, a key aspect of good market research is to collate all issues raises, categorise them as pros and cons, then list out solutions to each con and further developments to pros.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jan 9, 2012,
something like this?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
It's gotten to the point in my project that I can't afford to go back and change things, to go through my project I simply have to do some research, so any feedback, whether good or bad will help me pass my project.

All the negative feedback I can collate when writing my evaluations, so I thank everyone who has commented.
Quote by Ross Hepburn
It's gotten to the point in my project that I can't afford to go back and change things, to go through my project I simply have to do some research, so any feedback, whether good or bad will help me pass my project.

All the negative feedback I can collate when writing my evaluations, so I thank everyone who has commented.

well maybe i have more info that can help, do you have any specific questions?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
well maybe i have more info that can help, do you have any specific questions?

Looking for feedback on:

Aesthetics of the design,
Utility ( designed so that you can change the parts over easily, however this can't be done whilst the capo is clamped - problem )
Whether or not the idea is feasable/neccessary

Most important information I need at this moment.
Interchangeable parts scares me. Spare bits will run away to the same place picks go when you aren't looking.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ross Hepburn
Looking for feedback on:

Aesthetics of the design,
Utility ( designed so that you can change the parts over easily, however this can't be done whilst the capo is clamped - problem )
Whether or not the idea is feasable/neccessary

Most important information I need at this moment.

does the capo move, or do just the pads engage?

and like said, trying to fumble with removable "parts" isnt at all practical.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
does the capo move, or do just the pads engage?

and like said, trying to fumble with removable "parts" isnt at all practical.

Yes the bottom wedge clamps to the underside of the neck, I'm just not good enough with the software to draw it with the moving parts ( had to teach myself to use it )

Because of the size of capo the parts have some small dimensions to work with, so maybe a way of storing the parts inside the capo or on the capo would negate the need to fumble and the risk of losing the item.

Thank you for your feedback.
Wow yeah even still it seems like a hard sell.
I know it's just a project. But even with a clip on base, it would be hard to
Imagine an easy part swap.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
Wow yeah even still it seems like a hard sell.
I know it's just a project. But even with a clip on base, it would be hard to
Imagine an easy part swap.

I know, it's the biggest problem, but I just have to show I've done research and looked at it's problems and can evaluate what I would do again to make it better to pass this project.

So even though the feedback is negative, You're helping me a lot, a lot of people have said about the changing parts so I know that it's a design flaw, which means I can talk about this in my project.
oh ok cool. so yeah, perhaps inclose a carry case.

or a headstock mount clip, for the capo and it's accessories.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i like the idea of your clip on pads but i think it will be expensive to produce. If you make it out of plastic you'll need to make a plastic ejection mold or if its going to be a metal pad you'll need to make a cast and that means making a wax mold and on and on... i would think of going with a dove tail system. That might make it a little easier to make and interchange. Just my two sense.
Quote by socalguitar
i like the idea of your clip on pads but i think it will be expensive to produce. If you make it out of plastic you'll need to make a plastic ejection mold or if its going to be a metal pad you'll need to make a cast and that means making a wax mold and on and on... i would think of going with a dove tail system. That might make it a little easier to make and interchange. Just my two sense.

For this I don't actually have to make it, although I have to talk about the expected costs of production, and any problems that I may have in production. The dimensions of the changing parts make it troublesome regardless of production method which I am aware of.

Thank you for your feedback