Now, this is a question I'm sure gets thrown around a lot. But I'm not looking for answers, I want opinions. How do you think rosewood stacks up against ebony in tone, durability, etc? I know ebony is supposed to be brighter than rosewood and provide more attack, but I've never really sat down with an ebony fretboard guitar.
So, lemme hear it!
Thanks UG!
Ebony, my friend... if you allow it. If you don't, rosewood will do just fine. A lot of great, bright guitars have a rosewood fingerboard. If you're confortable with rosewood, forget about ebony.
Not to mention the moral aspects: ebony comes from trees which are normally protected in most countries. Remember the police raid at Gibson plant? They were looking for such wood, illegally sourced to the US from protected areas (ebony, korina etc.).
I prefer ebony, just feel nicer to me.
Plus, nothing to ruin any finish tahts not vintage sunburst than a dull and ugly brown fretboard.
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by rv_phoenix
Ebony, my friend... if you allow it. If you don't, rosewood will do just fine. A lot of great, bright guitars have a rosewood fingerboard. If you're confortable with rosewood, forget about ebony.
Not to mention the moral aspects: ebony comes from trees which are normally protected in most countries. Remember the police raid at Gibson plant? They were looking for such wood, illegally sourced to the US from protected areas (ebony, korina etc.).

The Gibson police raid is a good reference! But I'm already making a guitar from maple and walnut which is already REALLY bright, so I think the ebony might be overkill. I just want think being able to say "it has an ebony fretboard" is nice. Like a big shiny trophy.
I would definitely not put ebony on a maple guitar. It's already going to be way, way bright. Ebony has some really interesting tonal properties - sort of a 'zing' I'd call it, just a real fast percussive attack. On a maple/walnut guitar, though, it would only make the situation worse. There's a reason strats and teles very rarely have ebony boards.
Quote by Roc8995
I would definitely not put ebony on a maple guitar. It's already going to be way, way bright. Ebony has some really interesting tonal properties - sort of a 'zing' I'd call it, just a real fast percussive attack. On a maple/walnut guitar, though, it would only make the situation worse. There's a reason strats and teles very rarely have ebony boards.

Yeah that was my concern haha and can't I just get ebony stain from StewMac? Hahahaha
Sure you can. Staining or painting rosewood to look like ebony has been done. Even most ebony is stained to make it uniformly jet black, since it tends to have brown streaks.
Quote by Roc8995
Sure you can. Staining or painting rosewood to look like ebony has been done. Even most ebony is stained to make it uniformly jet black, since it tends to have brown streaks.

Yeah, I gathered that from StewMacs website.
Also, anyone know the general price for StewMac shipping?
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.