I'm thinking of buying a chorus pedal because I don't like carrying my RP355 with me to school to practice with my band and only effect that I would need is chorus. So what chorus pedal would be the best in under € 100 price range? What pedals should I try? It could be a flanger or some other pretty similar sounding modulation pedal too. And what is the difference between analog and digital choruses soundwise?

Edit: I forgot to mention that the amp I have is Roland Micro Cube but that really doesn't matter because I'm going to use the pedal primarily at school. And I think I'm going to buy a new amp soon. I just want something easier and smaller than RP355.

Edit 2: I have now bought an MXR Micro Chorus.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 19, 2012,
um, chorus pedals arn't exactly my strong suit. but I do have an electroharmonix small clone chorus, and I quite like it. very simple to use and has a nice sound.

if you have about 5 minutes heres a link to a demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBY3hEXeBCI
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
A Boss Chorus Ensemble might do the trick but I've never really looked at chorus pedals. I've heard good things about the electro-harmonix small clone though.
Last edited by itamar100 at Jan 9, 2012,
I love my MXR Black Label chorus. It's dark, but it ranges from very subtle to very heavy.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
i 2nd the boss chorus, it doesn't cost that much, and like all boss pedals it's reliable for your everyday musical endeavor.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
um, chorus pedals arn't exactly my strong suit. but I do have an electroharmonix small clone chorus, and I quite like it. very simple to use and has a nice sound.

if you have about 5 minutes heres a link to a demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBY3hEXeBCI

If you like this pedal you can get the Neo clone instead. The neo clone is the same pedal just in smaller housing, I'm not sure how much cheaper it would be I'd imagine it would be worth looking into if you like the sound of it. I own one and I think its an excellent chorus pedal well worth the money.

the neo clone
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
boss chorus ensemble is ok, its strength is its durability and versatility, but I find it not very exciting for some reason. I prefer the tone of the ehx small clone or stereo clone theory.
What do you think about MXR Micro Chorus? And why do they have Small Clone and Neo Clone if they are the same pedal? Of course people will buy the smaller one, what's the point But yeah, I should try those.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 9, 2012,
analogue tends to sound more natural

the tonerider one's pretty nice. the joyo/harley benton one on thomann is pretty nice, too, though a bit noisy.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
analogue tends to sound more natural

the tonerider one's pretty nice. the joyo/harley benton one on thomann is pretty nice, too, though a bit noisy.

What is that Joyo pedal? Is it analog? Seems like it's pretty cheap. Have you tried it because I'm a little interested?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Dan Electro Dc-1 Cool cat chorus.. Best chorus in my opinion my second goto pedal would be a boss.
i really don't know what to recommend. i don't really care for the small clone, maybe the MXR may be better? should be somewhere near your budget. i don't really care for any of the chorus pedals in that price range. thats why i don't have one. i did have an 80's MXR Chorus that sounded pretty good.

this may be a good option, but is a little bit more expensive. its the tone print from TC

http://proguitarshop.com/tc-electronic-corona-chorus.html
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
For a simple sound and basic chorus you can't go wrong with the Small Clone. I have heard good things about the Black Label Chorus though.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
For a simple sound and basic chorus you can't go wrong with the Small Clone. I have heard good things about the Black Label Chorus though.

+1 on the Black Label although i haven't played one myself. it seems to be highly recommended.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
How does the Black Label chorus differ from MXR Analog Chorus? Because Black Label is a bit cheaper (and it's signature model unlike the Analog Chorus). They look the same (well, that doesn't really mean anything) so I was just thinking...

EDIT: Or whatever, I'm going to check them both out if the guitar store has them both.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
What is that Joyo pedal? Is it analog? Seems like it's pretty cheap. Have you tried it because I'm a little interested?

i think it's analogue, but don't quote me on that. I would imagine it's a clone, or at least based on, a ce2, but again don't quote me. The guys over at freestompboxes reversed it, but for some reason the schematic's not in the thread (even though in teh thread title it says it is, so i don't know what's going on there )

yeah i have one. As i said, it's quite nice but it's a little noisy (you don't really notice while playing, but if you hold a chord for a while you can hear the swoosh of the chorus working on background noise- though whether that background noise is caused by my pedal or my amp i'm not sure, i'd really need to try it with another amp to be sure (i only got it recently and haven't given it much of a run through yet).

the tonerider does have the edge, if you ask me (it's quiet and possibly slightly richer- and more organic-sounding), but it is twice as expensive (and might be awkward to get in finland- there are dealers here in the UK who ship for free so they're pretty easy to get hold of).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got the Tonerider from Dangleberry Music for £53 shipped to Sweden. Favourite pedal on my board, build quality and sound quality wise.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
ah right if they ship for not too much then that'd be an option, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
danelectro fab chorus is 15 bucks. but youd have to get an adapter because the battery thing doesnt work. it not that bad either dude.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Yeah... Thanks for replies. I think I'm going to try pedals some day and then decide what I like the most.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
And why do they have Small Clone and Neo Clone if they are the same pedal?

The reason is because the neo/nano series is a smaller more pedalboaord friendly verison of the normal sized EHX pedals. They also come in different housing (the smaller ones come in tough as nails die cast casing). Also the neo/nano series is relatively new compared to the normal EHX pedals. I think the small clones been around since the mid 80s where as the neo clone has only been around for 3 years i think.

AVOID THE NANO CLONE AT ALL COSTS IF YOU WANT THE SMALL CLONE SOUND this is because it has a different circuit to the small clone. The NEO CLONE has the same circuit as the small clone though.
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
^ You are right. I tried the Nano Clone and it sucked (as I expected)! It sounded too thin and it just killed the tone. Chorus should give you better clean tone but it just made it sound worse, no warmth at all. I tried four chorus pedals today through a Marshall JVM combo (that was too much hassle for me, too complicated amp, I like more simple amps): Nano Clone, Digitech Multichorus, Digitech Hardwire chorus and Marshall Supervibe. I preferred the Marshall because (as I said before) Nano Clone sucked (it would have been OK but just sounded so thin and noisy), the Hardwire was too complicated (it had so many sounds that I had no time and will to try its sounds, sounded pretty nice though) and the Multichorus was, well... I just preferred the Marshall. Multichorus was good but it was more like a flanger effect (it was pretty powerful) and when I had the Marshall chorus on you couldn't even tell that there was chorus until you turned it off (but of course the sound got better when it was on). And that's what I like, nobody knows that you are using the effect until you turn it off. So Marshall Supervibe might be my thing. I just have to check out some more choruses. There's another store that sells MXR and Ibanez stuff. I think I'm going to check it out too. It just irritates me that there was no Small or Neo Clone because I like simple things. And Nano Clone would have sounded great if it hadn't made the guitar sound so thin and lifeless.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Used Boss CE-2, though those tend to get pretty pricy. Also check out the V1 version of the Visual Sound H20; it's chorus and delay, should you ever need the delay. Very warm and lush sounding, not too obtrusive. The V2 version is okay but the V1's are far superior.
Today I tried three chorus pedals: MXR Black Label and Micro Chorus and Ibanez Analog Chorus. The Ibanez sounded nice but it was something like € 190 and I'm not going to spend that much money on a chorus pedal. So I preferred the Micro Chorus. It was simple enough for me, it only had one knob but the sound was full and rich. I can't say the same about Black Label chorus. It was just lacking something (maybe because I didn't have much time to tweak the knobs) and I got the sound I wanted with Micro Chorus easier. So I think I'm going to buy the Micro Chorus because of its simplicity and it was the cheapest of the three pedals I tried.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115