I just got an old Ibanez RG 550 from my local music shop. I know that the RG 550's (original ones, like mine) were made between '87 and '94.

What I don't know is the year mine was made. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the serials worked on these models.

I don't remember my exact serial but it starts out F30 and I'll put the rest on here when I get home today.

Thanks for any help.

-Syx
This post brought to you thoughtfully by Syx
.show_Gear://
.load_guitar: Jackson_Rhoads.24_frets
.load_amp: Crate_G40C
.load_pedals: Digitech_distortionfactory_7 ; Dunlop_original_crybaby
.load_mic: Shure_PG58
Ah. Thanks. I didn't think it would be online because it's pretty old.

anyway, complete serial is F306536 and breaks down [F][3][06536]

F = Fuji-Gen plant in Japan
3 = 1993
06536 = Production number (The 6,536th one made at that plant)

Thanks much, guys.

Now, does anyone know how much this is worth? I bought it for $275 from the local shop and it's got some paint chips and dings in it.
The output jack is in pretty bad condition. It goes out on me a lot and I have to re-adjust the input cable. But it was like that when I got it.

There's about... 4 chips in the paint all around the body, but it's only on the edges.

So, my paying $275 for a $350 guitar is an excellent steal. Awesome. Thanks, Stoned.
I'm sure if you fixed up the input jack, which would be, what? $10? $20? You'll add a lot more value to the guitar. May as well fix it up if you are going to keep it.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I don't have much knowledge about the technical/electronic aspects of guitars. I think I should take it to the local shop and have them fix it, so I don't **** it up.
Sounds like you just need to bend the part which touches the jack.
Take it out and insert a plug to see if proper connection is made. If not, bend that metal tab till it does.
Also may be a loosening solder connection to the jack, pretty common if there not tight as hell.
Quote by asixex
I don't have much knowledge about the technical/electronic aspects of guitars. I think I should take it to the local shop and have them fix it, so I don't **** it up.

find a independant guitar shop to do the repair....not a guitar center. Mine does stuff like that for $15.
What the hell!!!