Hey guys! Im an amateur guitarist and a friend of mine wants to learn to play guitar really bad so I thought of giving her free lessons. But I dont know the basics of teaching guitar.
Im planning on teaching her the open notes of the strings in standard tuning and then going on to the CAGED System of chords.
And then to basic picking(I'll be able to tab easy exercises) and then on to alternate picking and Im planning on teaching her a few of her favourite acoustic songs in the process.

But I have no place to go for exercises and I dont know what to teach her after alternate picking! If you guys could actually suggest some cool sites where we get easy guitar exercises in tab form please let me know and give me suggestions if you have any! BTW I'm doing it for free and I believe it'll help me gain experience!
Thanks!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
There are a few websites that actually have free printable lessons. I know this because I, too, have been debating on whether or not to start teaching guitar.
Sod that. Is she hot? Forget the guitar, man. There's far more important things to be doing.

Edit: Oops, I just saw that you're like, 14.
Quote by amithkallupalam
Hey guys! Im an amateur guitarist and a friend of mine wants to learn to play guitar really bad so I thought of giving her free lessons. But I dont know the basics of teaching guitar.
Im planning on teaching her the open notes of the strings in standard tuning and then going on to the CAGED System of chords.
And then to basic picking(I'll be able to tab easy exercises) and then on to alternate picking and Im planning on teaching her a few of her favourite acoustic songs in the process.

But I have no place to go for exercises and I dont know what to teach her after alternate picking! If you guys could actually suggest some cool sites where we get easy guitar exercises in tab form please let me know and give me suggestions if you have any! BTW I'm doing it for free and I believe it'll help me gain experience!
Thanks!

Serious note, teach her the open A D and E chords. Then the minor versions.

Also, G - Cadd9 is a classic and sounds pretty.

Teaching her favourite songs is a big plus. If some of them have barre chords, then learn them before hand with a capo, and teach them to her that way. At least then, it'll be easier for her to play along quicker, rather than having to develop barre chord technique.
Last edited by mdc at Jan 9, 2012,
@mdc LOL yeah she's really hot! I mean she's my girlfriend dude!
Anyway!
Yeah A D and E sound pretty good! Yeah actually I prefer Gadd9 over G... has a happier tone to it!
Thanks any other tips?
@Ferralacid, Can you name a few?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Quote by amithkallupalam
@mdc LOL yeah she's really hot! I mean she's my girlfriend dude!
Anyway!
Yeah A D and E sound pretty good! Yeah actually I prefer Gadd9 over G... has a happier tone to it!
Thanks any other tips?
@Ferralacid, Can you name a few?

Brilliant, mate!

One thing, if you want to teach some basic picking, I'd recommend using a musical example, like the arpeggios in Everybody Hurts by REM. D - G.

At least that way you'll be making lurr.... music straight away.
TS, I've been in the same position as you, and if all goes well, you'll be in the same position I was in.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by mdc
At least that way you'll be making lurr.... music straight away.

Quote by Woffelz
TS, I've been in the same position as you, and if all goes well, you'll be in the same position I was in.

Ok you taught your girlfriend guitar, and she became a good guitarist then you guys broke up?

OR

There is no 'or' really that's all I could make out from that!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
I realise this might sound a bit hypocritical, given my sig... But teach her the moveable pentatonic scale, it's great for new learners to build finger strength and dexterity. Just remember, don't just focus on scales and modes, she'll get bored pretty damn quickly...

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.
Quote by ewashbrook
But teach her the moveable pentatonic scale, it's great for new learners to build finger strength and dexterity.

I'm starting to think this should belong in The Pit...
Last edited by mdc at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by ewashbrook
I realise this might sound a bit hypocritical, given my sig... But teach her the moveable pentatonic scale, it's great for new learners to build finger strength and dexterity. Just remember, don't just focus on scales and modes, she'll get bored pretty damn quickly...

Noted!

Quote by mdc

Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by mdc

Damn I missed that one...

Gear:

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by ewashbrook

Must be a troll......right?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Must be a troll......right?

No... Erm... why?

Gear:

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by ewashbrook
No... Erm... why?

Well you've answered "what should I teach on a first lesson" with pentatonic scale, and considering modes in the near future (although don't address them now).

So basically you are proposing:

1. You show her the penatonic scale.

2. She goes how do I use this?

3. So you go through keys and resolution, notes of the fretboard.

4. She says, ok but how do I use this?

5. Using songs as examples. Attempt to solo over Taylor Swift.

6. She asks "how do I play the song?".

Get what I'm hinting at? You'll effectively teach her nothing.

Secondly, you've proposed "modes"......so I assume you'll also cover major and minor scales, harmonisation, resolution and keys, borrowed chords and use of accidentals - you know, all the things required to understand modes in the first place? And then she asks what song she knows that use them and you go errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
You'll effectively teach her nothing.

Exactly, that's my point. If you look at my sig you'll see my opinions on scales. The only thing scales are in any way useful for is for building up your finger strength.

Quote by AlanHB
Secondly, you've proposed "modes"......

Erm... I said "don't just focus on scales and modes". Sorry if that was ambiguous, what I meant was "don't focus at all on scales and modes"

Gear:

Quote by Xiaoxi