Hello dudes and dudettes!

I could get a Vintage V100 wine red with mini humbuckers at a good price but I like metal alot and I'm afraid I couldn't play it on the minis.
The sound doesn't have to be perfect, as long as it's ok I'm fine. Could I compensate by just turning up the bass on the EQ fully up?

TL;DR: Mini humbuckers for metal, yes, no maybe?
Possible? Certainly.

Paul Gilbert and Bruce Bouillet from Racer X used to have mini-humbuckers in the neck position of their guitars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOW_-OESnq0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmaBWUQqgu4&feature=related

However - depending on your amp - you'll probably want something heavier for the bridge pickup. Also, not all mini-humbuckers are the same and chances are the pickups in the Vintage are low to medium in output.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Jan 9, 2012,
They actually have high output. Ok, the deal is probably sealed then. The guy at the shop is actually letting me take the guitar home to try so we'll see then. ; )

and thanks!
I agree with Bonsais, most Mini HB's are for blues but there are some higher out-put being made now-days.

Personaly I wouldn't get a guitar with them in it for Metal, You'd be fine for Rock, but metal would be streching it a little.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If your amp is any good, minibuckers can do metal. Even vintage-style ones. You can play metal on damn near anything, so long as the amp's suitable and you stick a noise gate on there if you're using single coils.

Even so, if you insisted on having high-output ceramic pickups there are lots of replacemnt pickups avaialble for minibuckers. Seymour Duncan certainly does a few high-output ceramic ones and I'm pretty sure DiMarzio do a couple too.

What you'll find with any minibucker and heavy distortion is the wound strings will sound a little tighter than with a fullsize humbucker, but this also means the unwound strings could sound a little shrill and thin. This is simply the effect of having a smaller pickup, same as with those humbuckers that are made to the size of a Fender single coil pickup. I would think minibuckers would do classic metal and thrash very well because of this, but if you want sludgy, really bass-heavy metal then you might find them a little narrow. Of course, a thicker string gauge would sort this out.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Ah well if it's that simple I am relieved. =)
I also love playing blues and rock so I'm suited then!
Thanks alot guys!
Quote by Corvus280
They actually have high output. Ok, the deal is probably sealed then. The guy at the shop is actually letting me take the guitar home to try so we'll see then. ; )

and thanks!

+1
That's the very best answer.