What is the best way to record at home? I don't have a computer but my friend used to have some sort of device where we could plug guitars and what not into it and record, and then put it on a computer after we finished. Are there any devices like this that you guys use?
Record on anything you can. Record in any room that sounds good. Just remember to check if the microphone is distorting before you actually record anything. As long as there isn't any distorting you should be fine
Quote by danny1336
Record on anything you can. Record in any room that sounds good. Just remember to check if the microphone is distorting before you actually record anything. As long as there isn't any distorting you should be fine

What should I use to record though? I dot have a computer, but as I stated my friend use to have this recording device that we would plug the instruments straight into and record on it. It didn't need a computer. Is it a multi-task recorder? If so, do you have one to recommend?
There are loads of multitrack recorders out there, most of which are standalone so you don't need to put it on a computer.

They're usually easily available on the used market as well, so it's worth looking around eBay to see what's out there.

Fostex, Tascam & Zoom are the main brands to look out for. Boss are also fairly common, but tend to be slightly more expensive.

EDIT: To respond to the extra part of your question in the other thread, if it was red it was probably a Fostex MR8. That's a good, reliable entry level multitracker - I used to have a Fostex & it did everything quite well & was easy to use with a well written manual.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jan 9, 2012,
how we can finish echo sound from recording or avoid echo on recording time??
It's the 21st Century - GET A COMPUTER DUDE.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
It's the 21st Century - GET A COMPUTER DUDE.

This has been discussed loads of times. Multitrackers can do everything that the software equivalent can do. There are advantages and disadvantages to both options. Some people prefer one way, some prefer the other.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud