Hey guys.

Right now, I'm in the middle of the process of choosing a university. I received offers from all the univirsities I listed in my UCAS profile, but I think that univirsities of Bolton/Coventry/Derby are probably the most appropriate places for continuing my education.

Well, basically, I'd be really glad if there are people, who live in some of these areas and who are ready to help me with some information. I write here, because it will be really awesome if I meet some musicians and yeah...

So, hit me up if you can help me and sorry if the place of this thread is not here
^
I thank God I'm protected by the womb of campus. Coventry is grim to the point it makes Halifax seem beautiful.
My mate who lives in Derby says it's a shit hole. That leaves Bolton. Sorted.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Ooh, pitty to see that these cities are not the most right place to be, if you want nice views

But, can you tell me something about the quality of the education there, cause, overall, this is the most important thing I search for the moment.

Well, I'm willing to live in a city with big venues and stuff, but, oh well ...

Thanks btw.

EDIT: Something about Bradford anyone?
Quote by Trowzaa
Well on the University League Table
Coventry are 63rd
Bolton are 116th
Derby is 94th
Bradford is 86th
York is 15th

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-league-table-2012

Yeah, I'm familiar with this table and I know my places aren't in very good position, but I hope that the things are not that bad it seems. I just have some financial issues and stuff and I can't afford myself to study in a better place. And I want to study civil engineering and when you see the same source for this subject you can see that these univirsities are good places for studying that, but, probably, I'm just taking comfort, haha.

Probably, you study in York, right?
Oh God Bradford's awful too :P Also, I'm an Engineer, although I'm at Warwick uni, it's technically in Coventry. Also, why is money an issue? Fees are standard everywhere and all those cities are cheap to live in. Nobody can tell you where you'll like! Though if you like Bradford I'll have to assume you're insane....
Coventry isn't actually that bad a place to live. Ignore all the haters

Derby's not bad either if you live in the right area.
Quote by TheBurningFish
"OH GOD OH GOD MUM MUM I PISSED MILK OH MY GOD OH MY GOD "

Something like that. All the while, his pants are still about his ankles and his semi erect sausage drips on the carpet as he runs around like a headless chicken...
Quote by ProgFolk12
Oh God Bradford's awful too :P Also, I'm an Engineer, although I'm at Warwick uni, it's technically in Coventry. Also, why is money an issue? Fees are standard everywhere and all those cities are cheap to live in. Nobody can tell you where you'll like! Though if you like Bradford I'll have to assume you're insane....

Well, you see, I'm not from England and I apply for those univirsities through an agency. Basically, people there said me that although fees are same everywhere, there are differences in tasks, for example if you want to rent a flat, in stores and stuff like that. I was not sure that this is right and this is why I decided to see what you think.
And Bradford is actually my fifth choice, haha

So, you are in Coventry and you are studying engineering... Well man, I'll be glad to talk with someone who is familiar with this city and course I'll attend, so hit me up if you have some free time for talking and stuff.
I live in salford, near bolton, used to go to school there. Good university, but shitty place. My mum got her teaching qualification there and said it was good. The night life isn't amazing, and the people aren't much better. And don't get me started on the accent. It's just a bit of a drab place really, although really easy to get to Manchester (awesome night life) and the Trafford Centre (Lots of entertainment and shops, but on the expensive side) from.
¡sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ suɐılɐɹʇsnɐ ʎluo

E-married to danny the fish

Quote by Kensai
That's a purdy mouth you got there, zelestros. Why don't we make good use of that in other ways...
Last edited by myevilside at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by Valrys
Coventry isn't actually that bad a place to live. Ignore all the haters

Derby's not bad either if you live in the right area.

Oh, I was waiting to see comment like yours, haha.

Quote by myevilside
I live in salford, near bolton, used to go to school there. Good university, but shitty place. My mum got her teaching qualification there and said it was good. The night life isn't amazing, and the people aren't much better. And don't get me started on the accent. It's just a bit of a drab place really, although really easy to get to Manchester (awesome night life) and the Trafford Centre (Lots of entertainment and shops, but on the expensive side) from.

Sounds not that alwful. And what about Salford, cause I have a offer from their university too?

And, I will say it again, if someone is opened for conversations, message me, cause I'll be glad to get to know with somebody from the area I'll possibly live in, moreover if it is a musician

And thanks again to everyone!
Dear God, Bolton and Derby are TERRIBLE places to go. There is nothing of value there for someone like you and you'll begin to resent the place as soon as you step off the train.
I'm being deadly serious: don't go there.

I've never heard anything good about Coventry and it's got a reputation for being somewhere that isn't in the least bit interesting or fun or attractive to anyone.

Salford is pretty dull too.

How have you picked these places!? They're terrible!

Ashley

ASHEDIT: The universities are probably quite nice places, and you'll no doubt get a pretty good education from there. My point refers to everything else about the place.
Last edited by BlackLuster at Jan 9, 2012,
I have been in Derby once and it is a nice place even though the river is radioactive. It changed the direction it was flowing in at least twice when I was there.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
I studied at Bradford for a year. It was a very nice university. Some wonderful academics. Some, less so. Had some lousy lecture experiences.

Shame about the locals.
I was beaten up for being white,
beaten up because I was southern,
and beaten up because it was fun.

If you like curry and bhurkas it's the place for you though.

That being said, it's a good place for engineering. Very well connected to industry.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Last edited by vulgarmachine at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by SRTW

Sounds not that alwful. And what about Salford, cause I have a offer from their university too?

As a university, it's okay. The campus is pretty nice (go past it on the bus often), and is like ten minutes from manchester city centre. If you're going there as a student it can be pretty good, Most of the accomodation is towards the manchester side. Places like salford shopping city aren't really nice places to go, but as a student you'd have no need to. Going to Salford uni you're picking up the Manchester crowd, which is varied and a bit of a mixed bag, but it's a friendly enough place and there's ****loads to do. Salford get's a bit of stick for being chavvy/rough, but that's only really in certain areas, and as a general city it's a pretty nice place. The university its self isn't considered the best, but it's building up a reputation and seems to be getting a lot better from what i've heard.

Out of curiosity what course are you applying for?

Quote by Tanglewoodguit
You picked 3 of the worst cities/towns in the country

EDIT: And Salford as well? Do want to get stabbed/shot?

Oi, i live in salford and neither me or my family has been stabbed, shot or beaten up!
Okay, a couple of my friends have, but that's what you get for going to Poet's and Moss side.
¡sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ suɐılɐɹʇsnɐ ʎluo

E-married to danny the fish

Quote by Kensai
That's a purdy mouth you got there, zelestros. Why don't we make good use of that in other ways...
Last edited by myevilside at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by BlackLuster
Dear God, Bolton and Derby are TERRIBLE places to go. There is nothing of value there for someone like you and you'll begin to resent the place as soon as you step off the train.
I'm being deadly serious: don't go there.

I've never heard anything good about Coventry and it's got a reputation for being somewhere that isn't in the least bit interesting or fun or attractive to anyone.

Salford is pretty dull too.

How have you picked these places!? They're terrible!

Ashley

ASHEDIT: The universities are probably quite nice places, and you'll no doubt get a pretty good education from there. My point refers to everything else about the place.

Wow, reading all of your posts guys, I feel myself in a hot water, haha.

And, as I said, I apply for those places through an agency, which seems is fake as ****. God, I'm ****ed up.

However, I hope that the education is good, because it is the most important for the moment. Thank you for your comment.

Quote by vulgarmachine
I studied at Bradford for a year. It was a very nice university. Some wonderful academics. Some, less so. Had some lousy lecture experiences.

Shame about the locals.
I was beaten up for being white,
beaten up because I was southern,
and beaten up because it was fun.

If you like curry and bhurkas it's the place for you though.

That being said, it's a good place for engineering. Very well connected to industry.

Unfortunately, you are not the first one, who I heard talking negative things for people there. Bradford is off for me, although I heard that is a good place for engineering too.

Quote by Tanglewoodguit
You picked 3 of the worst cities/towns in the country

EDIT: And Salford as well? Do want to get stabbed/shot?

Def not

Quote by myevilside
As a university, it's okay. The campus is pretty nice (go past it on the bus often), and is like ten minutes from manchester city centre. If you're going there as a student it can be pretty good, Most of the accomodation is towards the manchester side. Places like salford shopping city aren't really nice places to go, but as a student you'd have no need to. Going to Salford uni you're picking up the Manchester crowd, which is varied and a bit of a mixed bag, but it's a friendly enough place and there's ****loads to do. Salford get's a bit of stick for being chavvy/rough, but that's only really in certain areas, and as a general city it's a pretty nice place. The university its self isn't considered the best, but it's building up a reputation and seems to be getting a lot better from what i've heard.

Out of curiosity what course are you applying for?

Oi, i live in salford and neither me or my family has been stabbed, shot or beaten up!
Okay, a couple of my friends have, but that's what you get for going to Poet's and Moss side.

First, thanks for your instructive answer, it helps me a lot.

It sounds good, I'll think about it. And I'm applying for Construction Management course in Salford.

And again, thank you guys for giving me such an impotant information, really.
I'd rather be at Salford than all the others. Course+uni reputation > how nice the place is. The location of my Uni is probably worse than all my other choices but it's a brilliant course, a very highly regarded uni and the people I live/work with are awesome.

EDIT: Stay away from certain parts of Salford/Manchester. To be honest it's the same in pretty much any city. There are nice bits and not nice bits.
I'm currently in my first year in Coventry.

Education isn't too bad but, the area is pretty dull. You do get quite a few live acts and the clubs are ok, but other than that there aint much to do
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat