i just got a brand new dbx 266xs dual compressor and limiter. i am so very new to the world of compression and only barley understand what it does.

i would like to use this in conjunction with my presonus firepod and cubase 5 to record vocals, and most importantly, guitar tracks.

i play generally "tight" sounding metal; deathcore, "djent" and other types of heavy music.

i was wondering where it would work best in the recording chain.

should my chain look something like;

guitar<amp<mic<firepod<dbx compressor limiter<and then back to the firepod?

what inputs/outputs and what cables should i use for this?

also, because its a dual channel comp, i can also compress my amps effects loop, have that go through the mic, then compress the firepod.

i was also wondering the same thing about vocals, should it be something like;

vocalist<mic<presonus<compressor<presonus?

or should it be;

vocalist<mic<compressor<presonus

i thank anyone who reads all of this and can help me. im totally new to the world of compression and am just looking to start in the right place.

thanks in advance guys!
(signature removed, please choose another)
I have a question: Why would you go and spend that much on a unit you're not even sure what does?

There are free software compressors that can help you get a solid grip on compression, so you can know exactly what and why you want to buy a hardware compressor when (or if) that time comes.
Last edited by xFilth at Jan 9, 2012,
Compressing metal guitars is pretty much pointless. The very act of driving a high gain sound compresses the sh!t out of them already. Want proof? Record a bit of distorted hi-gain guitar and look at the wave form. It looks like a brick. No dynamic range at all, hardly.

Vocals, on the other hand, almost always need some compression to get them to behave in the mix.

If you put the compressor in the recording chain, then you are stuck with whatever it is you get. Don't like it? Record it again. Now, I used to have a hardware compressor to manage input volumes so I wouldn't clip my converters, but that was back when we were all recording at 16 bit. Recording at 24 bit makes that a pretty pointless precaution unless you're recording gunshots at close range.

If you want to control the compressor and dial in the settings as you hear the effect added to the vocal, then you will record the vocal, and set it up so that one of the outputs from your interface goes into the compressor, and then out from the compressor back into the interface.

For me, personally, I got rid of my hardware compressor because it was redundant in my setup. I didn't need it to protect the input levels, and my software plugins were every bit as good as or better for setting stuff in the mix.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i bought it for tracking vocals and drums. but i will try it on my guitar tracks as well. i cant seem to see any sort of difference in the free plugins like classic compressor except an added brightness/noise to the tone, but with the dbx in the chain, i can clearly hear a difference in the overall sound/dynamics.
(signature removed, please choose another)