I just restrung my Squier Jazz with Steel DR strings. These strings were expensive at $30 a set. I think I cut my E string too short before I put it on. It IS strung and IS in Tune. But it doesnt make a full rotation around the pole. It basically looks like an upside-down J.

My question is: will this affect the tone of my bass? And for future reference, how much slack should I leave when tuning a bass? Id imagine maybe the length of my middle finger.
It doesn't matter, but next time, cut the strings after you put them on.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
i cant cut them because you have to put the end of the string down in the hole of the middle of the tuning pole on fender-style basses.
On a Fender style bass, I tend to put the string in at the bridge, and then bring it up to the tuner, and cut it at that point. A good guide for how short you should cut the string, is to cut it off at the tuner 2 tuners away. For example, I'd cut the E string off around the point of the D string pole.
Quote by Ziphoblat
On a Fender style bass, I tend to put the string in at the bridge, and then bring it up to the tuner, and cut it at that point. A good guide for how short you should cut the string, is to cut it off at the tuner 2 tuners away. For example, I'd cut the E string off around the point of the D string pole.

something like this.

i came to figure that my jazz bass's tuners needs one thumb (inch) of string to give it a whole turn. i usually give my string 2 or 3 turns, so if you want to do that, put the string in place, an tense it so it's not bended. then, measure with 3 thumbs past the tuner. that should do it, remember one thumb is like the string length that goes inside the tuner. I hope i've been clear enough and helped
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Any7423
It doesn't matter, but next time, cut the strings after you put them on.

He's talking about fender bass tuners not guitar Bass tuners are like vintage guitar tuners, you insert the string into it not through it.
Quote by askrere
He's talking about fender bass tuners not guitar Bass tuners are like vintage guitar tuners, you insert the string into it not through it.

yes, and may I add that i found this to be much more practical? I didn't know of this until i restrung my jazz. i liked it and i think it's much better looking also.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
yes, and may I add that i found this to be much more practical? I didn't know of this until i restrung my jazz. i liked it and i think it's much better looking also.

Agreed, but unless you buy an expensive fender or upgrade your tuners guitars always have the strings jab out and I have been stabbed a few times too many.