was wondering if anyone knew the pickups used on hetfields iron cross ESP or Gibson version and any thing else used on the guitar to make it look and sound as close as possible to the real thing

ta
He uses EMGs pretty much exclusively, so I'm thinking the pickups were just gold plated EMG 60/81 in the neck/bridge
if you're lookin for old metallica sound (like '86) the you should go for emg 81/85. if youre looking for newer metallica then go with the emg 81/60.
EMG 60 in neck, EMG 81 in bridge. But he has recently released a Het set with new EMG mics.
You're going to find it much harder to get his sound beyond just EMGs. He uses Diezels, Mesa/Boogies, and bookshelves upon bookshelves of rack equipment.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
active pickups seem like a pain in the ass to install with the battery and all.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
81/60 ... he has them in almost every guitar .

mesa boogie mark IIc+ or mesa boogie mark III ( cheaper ) with a tubescreamer in front and a good parametric eq .. and you should get close .

keep in mind that they double/triple the guitar in studios in the early albums .

hetfield sound is Mesa boogie ...
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by Skysc
81/60 ... he has them in almost every guitar .

mesa boogie mark IIc+ or mesa boogie mark III ( cheaper ) with a tubescreamer in front and a good parametric eq .. and you should get close .

keep in mind that they double/triple the guitar in studios in the early albums .

hetfield sound is Mesa boogie ...

more recently its been EL34 based tho with VH4 and didnt he use a Blackstar s1 200 at some point?? i cant remember

EMG 60(neck) 81(bridge) in a Mahogany body guitar, and a Mesa will get you the classic Metallica sound. DO NOT SCOOP ALL THE MIDS THO, you'll sound like crap in a band when you play together
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by Raijouta
You're going to find it much harder to get his sound beyond just EMGs. He uses Diezels, Mesa/Boogies, and bookshelves upon bookshelves of rack equipment.

yup
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by shredftw
more recently its been EL34 based tho with VH4 and didnt he use a Blackstar s1 200 at some point?? i cant remember

EMG 60(neck) 81(bridge) in a Mahogany body guitar, and a Mesa will get you the classic Metallica sound. DO NOT SCOOP ALL THE MIDS THO, you'll sound like crap in a band when you play together

Depends on what period of metallica the TS wants.

Old metallica, anything that replicates a mark IIC+ really (so a triaxis and mark V would work too)

Modern metallica you can prolly pull off on any high gain current peoduction though
Quote by Seanthesheep
Depends on what period of metallica the TS wants.

Old metallica, anything that replicates a mark IIC+ really (so a triaxis and mark V would work too)

Modern metallica you can prolly pull off on any high gain current peoduction though

i'd say that pre 1986 you'd want a hotrodded and boosted Marshall for RTL and KEA. Puppets AJFA and the black album Mark 2C+ and from then on you could just use a Recto or VH4
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.