I know the "point" of using a 7-string is getting to the lower stuff without having to droptune like crazy.

How does it work though? Like, with B on the lowest string and E on the second lowest, they don't form a traditional power chord shape right? How do you work the B with the other strings? Or don't you? Is it there to do bass on it's own?

Thanks!
Quote by Rainmaker31
I know the "point" of using a 7-string is getting to the lower stuff without having to droptune like crazy.

How does it work though? Like, with B on the lowest string and E on the second lowest, they don't form a traditional power chord shape right? How do you work the B with the other strings? Or don't you? Is it there to do bass on it's own?

Thanks!

They do
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Yes, just like the B and high E string on a normal guitar they form a traditional powerchord. So you can do chords and octaves and shit just like you would do on a normal standard tuned guitar.
They do form a traditional power chord shape, because B is the fifth of E. There's no mystery to it, really. With a 7 string, you have two E strings, and two B strings, and the relationship between the low B and E is the same as their higher string cousins. Scale patterns and chord shapes are the exact same, except you have a lower octave, or play inversions with lower notes in the bass.

If you play your root on the third fret of B (D), and your 5th at the fifth fret on E (A), you have a plain old power chord shape. In this case, a D5.
Yes BEADGBe and for a 5 string bass its BEADG These instruments make it alot easier then drop tuning 6 strings.
Dear god I'm dumb haha. I've been puzzling over this for a while now thinking it wasn't a power chord, because I was looking at it backwards (from E to B, as opposed to from B to E)

I'm trying to figure out how you would "tranpose" stuff, but I'm getting confused in a few points.

Like, if you wanted to play something that was written in Drop B on a 6 string, what would you use on a 7 string? Keep the B where it is, and downtune the others? What about the extra string?

Thanks!
Quote by Rainmaker31
Dear god I'm dumb haha. I've been puzzling over this for a while now thinking it wasn't a power chord, because I was looking at it backwards (from E to B, as opposed to from B to E)

I'm trying to figure out how you would "tranpose" stuff, but I'm getting confused in a few points.

Like, if you wanted to play something that was written in Drop B on a 6 string, what would you use on a 7 string? Keep the B where it is, and downtune the others? What about the extra string?

Thanks!

You have any number of options:

Keep the low B and tune everything else up
Tune it to 6s string drop B and then have an extra high string
Tune the whole thing three half steps and then drop the "E" string to a B.
Tune the whole thing down three half steps and then tune the E and B strings down a tone.

I can't be bothered to remember or figure out how those tunings figure out but that's the options. Really I probably wouldn't bother unless the song was awesome and the key of the song was vital for the singer. If the singer doesn't absolutely need it to be in B then I'd either go for drop A or 6 string drop D.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
there are quite a few of alternate tuning, i don't really remember. i had one. i don't like them. i personally would go for a baritone guitar, which is like a 7 string but doesn't have the small e string so the neck profile isn't as drastic. a lot of people like 7's but i just coudn't get used to them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/