Poll: Read OP.
Poll Options
View poll results: Read OP.
Racial inequalities are now self-inflicted, and black people should take more responsibility
15 16%
Inequalities are largely self-inflicted in todays world, but theres still racism which has an effect
30 32%
I am even with both. It's a pretty even combination of both spectrums
29 31%
Racism from authority, gov, etc is to blame, but some wounds are self-inflected
16 17%
Racism from people in govt., police, authority, etc. are completely to blame for the inequality
4 4%
Voters: 94.
Page 1 of 3
I'm mainly referring to Racism towards black people in this thread, and for the sake of clarity, I'm mainly referring to racism in the modern world, and not so much historical.

I'm sure most of us are fairly left leaning in The Pit, and although some of us might subconsciously stereotype somebody because of their race, as we aren't perfect, we generally support racial equality and all that good stuff.

One thing I've noticed from talking to people about racism and civil rights is that there's seems to be this sort of spectrum, and most people fall kind of leaning to one side.It's hard to deny that there are social inequalities in terms of race. Prison populations, poverty ratios, crime, etc.

So on one side of this spectrum, to go to the extreme, there's this belief that these social inequalities are more self-inflicted, and black people aren't taking enough responsibility to overcome these inequalities. People like Bill Cosby would probably be leaning more on this side (see Cosby's Pound Cake speech). They probably blame things like bad parenting, as well as African American pop culture and its negative influence. This side of the spectrum is obviously more critical of black people

The other side being that the social inequalities today are the result of racism from others, and the "white man is holding you down" mentality. This might be more the philosophy that people like the Black panthers or Jesse Jackson support. They'd probably blame police racism, people of authority, etc. This side is obviously more sympathizing to black people.

The sides aren't mutually exclusive. I mean, you can accept good and valid arguments from both sides. But which side do you lean more towards? Are you more sympathizing with black people and racism? Or do you think they need to take more responsibility? Discuss.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Since I know somebody make this, I'll just get it out of the way:

I like all races, but the 50m dash is my favorite.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
yes
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial

Now on another matter. Do blacks prefer to be called negros?
Last edited by LostLegion at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by G.Krizzel

How do people get away with posting this? It's blatant spam. Do mods not warn for this? Anyway, I reported your chicken-eating ass.

Anywho, as to the thread, here's my response -- as someone who puts a lot of responsibility and blame on myself for my shortcomings as well as my failures, it generally my nature to hold responsible the first line of people in circumstances; for instance, I don't blame "society" for the shitty behavior of certain groups of people - I blame those people themselves for decisions they personally make. In a similar way, I don't blame America or any other belligerent Western nation for the actions of a suicide bomber or extremist/violent group of terrorists.

So, because of that, probably the first of your options more often.
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by G.Krizzel

*sigh*

i cannot best this

edit: lol that Dreadnought guy sure is butthurt
OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
Last edited by PowerOfGlove at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by Dreadnought
How do people get away with posting this? It's blatant spam. Do mods not warn for this? Anyway, I reported your chicken-eating ass.

Anywho, as to the thread, here's my response -- as someone who puts a lot of responsibility and blame on myself for my shortcomings as well as my failures, it generally my nature to hold responsible the first line of people in circumstances; for instance, I don't blame "society" for the shitty behavior of certain groups of people - I blame those people themselves for decisions they personally make. In a similar way, I don't blame America or any other belligerent Western nation for the actions of a suicide bomber or extremist/violent group of terrorists.

So, because of that, probably the first of your options more often.

From personal experience, I think most of it is self-inflicted. I've witnessed blacks and other races together in a work environment. The only person bitching about racism is the black person: she was being treated just like everyone else (better actually bc people were scared, was kind of a bitch) and no one else cared.

Personally, I also think racism is a form of self fulfilling prophecy.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
We are all moving into a dark future. Whether we are black, white or brown may not be irrelevant now, but must and should be in times to come.

The way to embrace the responsibility of our individual and social roles as architects of prospect would inevitably be to stop looking at the mirror for differentiations and stop looking into history books for erstwhile majoritarian injustices.

This applies to anyone and everyone, because when the cause is one the cause is won.

Lofty ideals aside, I come from a country that has perpetrated some of the worst caste related crimes in human history. Who is now destroying my country is the apologist, not the racist.

The faster, in my opinion, we foster a strong backbone of scientific education and self-reliance in this new world, the better.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

I'd say it's mixed factors. For A, yes I do believe that there is a problem with then average African-American parent and that Black pop culture is definitely a very negative influence. But these are all caused by B, as ripping millions of people out of their homes and communities from a bunch of unique cultural identities is going to leave you with a very confused group. Also, in the States at least, considering it's a land of the Poor stay poor and the rich get richer, hasn't helped either.
For the most part, I assume it has to do with people's inability to think outside of their own personal experiences. I've met a lot of people who don't like minorities simply because they had one or two bad experiences with them. And they didn't bother to think what might have caused those bad experiences in the first place. I know a girl who doesn't spend much time around blacks, because most of the people she encountered in life were white. And as a result, because she had one bad experience with someone less common in her life, she associates it with everyone. Nevermind that there are literally billions of people who have never done anything to her. And she might not acknowledge that it's not a color thing, but more than likely a matter of class. A white person from the same class that this particular criminal was in is pretty likely to act exactly the same way.

So, rather than acknowledging that her personal experience isn't indicative of everyone else, she'll walk around like the stupid ass cracker that she is.

Quote by kikaykitko
From personal experience, I think most of it is self-inflicted. I've witnessed blacks and other races together in a work environment. The only person bitching about racism is the black person: she was being treated just like everyone else (better actually bc people were scared, was kind of a bitch) and no one else cared.

Personally, I also think racism is a form of self fulfilling prophecy.

People were scared of her?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by Dreadnought

It's like the old saying: "I think therefore I am," except in this case it's something more along the lines of "I don't think, therefore I spam. I don't see what the big deal is though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Dreadnought

*Bla bla, "serious opinion", bla bla yadda yadda...*

Well, no it's not.
It would be spam if the thread wasn't about blacks.

learn2meta-humor
I think everybody is a little racist subconsciously. Most of us try to not be though, which is a good. I don't think there's really a cause for it other than ignorance. But I think the race card needs to stop being played/black history month done for/etc. The more attention given to race, the harder it is to get away from it. There's a typical black culture, yeah. But so what?

Quote by G.Krizzel

I laughed both times this was posted in this thread
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by JackalUK
It's spam, and people will be getting relevant warnings.

WTF?!?! This is not spam!

My post was totally appropriate because:
1.) The OP was kind of long ("Didn't read, lol")
2.) It's about black people ("black dude dancing")
3.) It's about racism ("black dude eatin chikkinz")

Instead of giving me a medal for combining these 3 things into one superficially dumb and ingnorant post (which requires some skill), I get warned.

WTF?!?!
Even TS, the Madcap, thought it was funny.

Once again: learn2meta-humor
I tend to emphasise structure over agency, so I guess I'm the opposite of Dready, here.

I don't like the way you expressed the position, though. Framing it in terms of it being the "fault of white people" makes it easier for a) White people to deny our privilege, b) personalises what is a systemic, societal problem.
Quote by JackalUK
It's spam, and people will be getting relevant warnings.

Guy posts gif in online forum that gets laughs?
Warn him.
We are all moving into a dark future. Whether we are black, white or brown may not be irrelevant now, but must and should be in times to come.

The way to embrace the responsibility of our individual and social roles as architects of prospect would inevitably be to stop looking at the mirror for differentiations and stop looking into history books for erstwhile majoritarian injustices.

This applies to anyone and everyone, because when the cause is one the cause is won.

Lofty ideals aside, I come from a country that has perpetrated some of the worst caste related crimes in human history. Who is now destroying my country is the apologist, not the racist.

The faster, in my opinion, we foster a strong backbone of scientific education and self-reliance in this new world, the better.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

i don't see how racial inequalities can ever be self inflicted. take colour of the skin out of the equation or reverse roles and everyone would act according to how they're being treated by others. everyone acts the same regardless of their skin colour (because we're all humans duh) and if the white people were in the minority, they'd have the complaints the coloured people have now. inequalities have to be down to other people.

and western society is extremely racist and sexist. try not being white. no white person in a majorly white country will ever understand racism.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
I think a lot of it has to do with how people view it. There's a lot of black people who always blame non-black people and say they're getting mistreated because they're black. That might be the case, but it might instead have something to do with whether they're, for instance, as hard a worker as the other workers.
See, I've met a few black people who are always complaining. Always going, "The black man don't get enough credit". But on the other side, I've met many more black people who work hard and don't complain, who let their actions speak louder than their words and try to cause their actions to be positive actions. I'm a great believer in personal responsibility, and I think how one views something can affect how one will respond to it.
Oh dear god, this gif thing is going to escalate into some sort of stupid "mod war" very much like the gods vs the titans. Most users will be banned and the pit will become an inhospitable wasteland due to so many users revolting.

But I digest.

I think it's probably a mix of a few things. People develop expectations of how others will act towards them. People who are "different" often have distorted ones which interpret innocent things as discriminative.

On the other hand, racism is a real and horrible thing. However, I have gotta quote Reginald D Hunter on this (just a comedian, but I agree with his view to a point): two types of racism: there's the type where people get their feelings hurt (which I'm not playing down), and the type where people can't get jobs. Either type is bad, but the latter much worse. I'd say it's a mix of various factors, some self inflicted, and some coming from those who are prejudiced.

Quote by untalented
take colour of the skin out of the equation or reverse roles and everyone would act according to how they're being treated by others. everyone acts the same regardless of their skin colour (because we're all humans duh)
You are now aware that his statement is totally wrong once you account for social and cultural factors.

try not being white. no white person in a majorly white country will ever understand racism.
However, I agree with this to a point.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jan 9, 2012,
Only around 10% of the worlds poulation are white or cocasion so I'm fairly certain racism could easily be dealt with.

Also, I believe it is because the African people used to be slaves for the whites and were sold to different nations, that's how the majority ended up in mainly white areas of the world, and also there was a large amount of oppression in Africa with the White's severely looking down on the Blacks.

Today racsim is evident, especially in the west where races mix, but racsim is just as bad with Blacks giving abuse to Whites as vica versa.

There is a great deal of hypocrisy amongst those who complain about racism.
I don't see why a mixture of both isn't a viable answer.

I mean, you can't deny that there are some remnants of previous eras of dominant racism, but to blame all of today's inequalities on that is just lazy.
Quote by G.Krizzel
WTF?!?! This is not spam!

My post was totally appropriate because:
1.) The OP was kind of long ("Didn't read, lol")
2.) It's about black people ("black dude dancing")
3.) It's about racism ("black dude eatin chikkinz")

Instead of giving me a medal for combining these 3 things into one superficially dumb and ingnorant post (which requires some skill), I get warned.

WTF?!?!
Even TS, the Madcap, thought it was funny.

Once again: learn2meta-humor

Butthurt.
Last edited by blake1221 at Jan 9, 2012,
C seems the best answer but for some reasonI chose D when reading the poll. And I don't have much experience with racism as Slovenia is 99% white. Nobody wants to move here.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
In the USA it's mostly because education is so expensive and the the neighborhoods and peers have a negative effect on the invididuals that can break the cycle.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by JamSessionFreak
C seems the best answer but for some reasonI chose D when reading the poll. And I don't have much experience with racism as Slovenia is 99% white. Nobody wants to move here.

And it keeps like that when you call every foreigner an American.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by The Madcap
Did I imply it wasn't?

No, that wasn't directed at you. Just musing out loud.

I am definitely leaning towards the Cosby end of the spectrum more.
Quote by untalented

and western society is extremely racist and sexist. try not being white.

Compared to what? Middle Eastern society? lol
Quote by Neo Evil11
And it keeps like that when you call every foreigner an American.

I took it back, damn it.
Also, it was an honest mistake as you knew more about US politics and economics than a huge part of Americans in that thread.
I'm not saying I agree with you, but you used stats and fancy words that I don't understand so I'm just presuming you at least did some research.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by Banjocal
You are now aware that his statement is totally wrong once you account for social and cultural factors.

think you misunderstand. think i know why you misunderstood but will let you figure it,

Quote by TextOnTheScreen
Compared to what? Middle Eastern society? lol

did i compare it to anything?
i made a statement. i can't compare it to anything since i have no experience of anything else.
dickhead.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by ProgFripp74
Today racsim is evident, especially in the west where races mix, but racsim is just as bad with Blacks giving abuse to Whites as vica versa.
I'd like to point out that, even in Africa, there's still a form of racism. Yes, obviously, most Africans are black. But there's a lot of tribal differences. Things like what is depicted in "Hotel Rwanda" really did happen. It may not necessarily be "racism" as we think of it in the West, but it's still persecution on the basis of being of a different group. A lot of that definitely still goes on in Africa and other parts of the world. It's not just the West where you can be singled out.

Edit:
Quote by untalented
dickhead.
Let's refrain from name calling. We can all have a decent discussion without throwing out names, whether they're "deserved" or not. Plus, it makes an argument weaker when you call names.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by untalented

i have no experience of anything else.
dickhead.

Cool, now all I have to do is quote this to prove my point.

Nice talk, studmuffin.
Page 1 of 3